ADVANTAGE WHEN TIME IS UP

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Which was the case in this scenario given that time had expired. They could only have benefitted by actually scoring.
Law 7.1 states that advantage should be considered in terms of tactical and territorial advantage... it doesn't say that scoring or not scoring are specific factors, though you could consider this part of tactical.

Wales achieved a clear and real territorial advantage (advancing half the length of the pitch), therefore advantage was realised as per 17.1.b... thus, advantage is complete and over. Not unreasonable.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So if a team has a PK at 81 mins and you call “advantage” but they want the kick, what’s the protocol? The captain calls over to us they want the kick, or do they need to accidentally drop the ball forward and go “Whoops! My gosh, what a klutz I am!” like they’re calling mark?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
So if a team has a PK at 81 mins and you call “advantage” but they want the kick, what’s the protocol? The captain calls over to us they want the kick, or do they need to accidentally drop the ball forward and go “Whoops! My gosh, what a klutz I am!” like they’re calling mark?
It's hard to give an answer for all situations, but a realistic scenario might be to see if an immediate break is made, and if not, then a player (typically scrum half) tells the ref they want to take the PK. I've played games in the past in which the ref quickly called advantage over and I would simply ask for the FK/PK early... I can't recall a single time of the ref saying no.

A few seasons ago, at elite level, there was a trend of the scrum half intentionally throwing the ball down at the back of the breakdown if they wanted the FK/PK, but I haven't seen it lately.

Being awarded the PK/FK quickly might be a tactical advantage in itself if you take it quickly while the opposition are still at the bottom of a breakdown. I assume this is why a FK from a scrum is typically taken quickly by the No.8.

Last edited:

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
OK... here's an example of me probably being too clever for my own good...

I refereed a school game a few weeks ago, clock in the red, red chipped the ball over, knocked on during the regather... I called knock-on advantage for blue and allowed red to continue in possession while I waited to see if blue could get a turnover... after 2 passes by red they had beaten the blue defence so I brought it back and blew for full time.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
OK... here's an example of me probably being too clever for my own good...

I refereed a school game a few weeks ago, clock in the red, red chipped the ball over, knocked on during the regather... I called knock-on advantage for blue and allowed red to continue in possession while I waited to see if blue could get a turnover... after 2 passes by red they had beaten the blue defence so I brought it back and blew for full time.
Sounds like good management.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Law 7.1 states that advantage should be considered in terms of tactical and territorial advantage... it doesn't say that scoring or not scoring are specific factors, though you could consider this part of tactical.

Wales achieved a clear and real territorial advantage (advancing half the length of the pitch), therefore advantage was realised as per 17.1.b... thus, advantage is complete and over. Not unreasonable.

What territorial advantage did Wales gain? Territorial advantage/advancement up the field/gain in territory can only be realised in the next phase of play and once time is up there is no next phase. Whether they made 5m or 95 they were no better off.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
they shouldn't deliberately knock on (as that itself is a PK offence).
They should just stop playing and and the ref will say 'no adv', back for the kick.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What territorial advantage did Wales gain? Territorial advantage/advancement up the field/gain in territory can only be realised in the next phase of play and once time is up there is no next phase. Whether they made 5m or 95 they were no better off.
They have had the advantage, 55m of territory and plenty of opportunity to score.

In Goal Law - 21.16:
When a player carrying the ball is held up in the in-goal so that the player cannot ground or play the ball, the ball is dead. Play restarts with a five-metre scrum, in line with the place where the player was held up. The attacking team throws in.

But it is now dead!

So full time!

Can we archive this now?

Please?

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought we had done until Stu replied to a comment I made some days ago. I disagree with your argument but happy to archive

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the only way to let a thread die is ...... NOT to post on it !