After historical law. ..

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What's the problem? Are you hinting that a substitute can't initiate play after a penalty stoppage. Would you disallow the replacement SH from taking the tap?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
isn't there a subsequent clarificaton or Law that says a sub can't come on and immediately take a conversion?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
isn't there a subsequent clarificaton or Law that says a sub can't come on and immediately take a conversion?

For games utilising interchanges, yes.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

This is taken from the ARU Union Specific additions to Law 3.

4. Any substitute who takes the field of play immediately following the awarding of a penalty kick to his team or after a try has been scored shall not be permitted to kick at goal until after the relevant kick has been taken.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Clarification 2/2007 is at odds with the directives we have (in my neck of the woods anyway) in relation to when substitutions are allowed to take place. We have always been told that no subs at PKs as the ball is not dead. Also, if a PK is awarded and the non-offending team decide to kick at goal, we don't allow water carriers to run onto the field handing out water bottles.
If a PK is awarded and we have to stop play for an injury which is consistent with part of 2/2007, ".....or when the referee has blown the whistle to indicate a stoppage in play, ......." .

We do not allow a sub (rolling subs) to take that kick at goal, either PK or conversion, if he has taken the field immediately after a try or the awarding of a PK. So why should we allow a normal substitute take the kick where rolling subs are not in place? The laws are inconsistent on this IMO.

I need to seek clarification on the ball being "dead" issue from the ARU in relation to allowing substitutions. As for the substitute being/not being allowed to take a kick at goal as soon as he takes the field, this is not an issue for me on Fridays and Saturdays as all of my level games involve Rolling Substitutions.