After the try is scored

johnH

Referees in England
Post Likes
Click here to see an interesting incident from the HK Sevens: (Serevi in HK)

Suppose this hadn't happened as the final whistle was due. You're the referee. What action would you take?
cheers
John H

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Penalty at the restart (if, as you say, there is to be one) against NZ 6. That's pretty clear foul play IMHO - by the time Serevi is on the floor, it's certainly not a useful attempt to prevent a try being scored, so I can only contrue it as a deliberate attempt to injure. I don't think it's worth a card if it's his first offence, but if he does it twice in one match, bin him on the second.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
I agree, penalty restart (if there is time for one).

I'd also have a quiet word with Serevi about the showboating on the way in. I know it's all part of sevens, and he's putting on a show out there (has been for decades now), but I have to assume that this might have been what incited Black #6 to do what he did.

I'd seriously consider a card for #6 however. With the ball under the player on the ground that could have caused broken ribs. I know it's not like he dropped with elbow or knee, but it's still dangerous.

On another note, what an amazing sequence of play! Absolutely superb.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
At my level of the game where we aren't paid to entertain:rolleyes:

Penalty kick to white at the centre line for the restart

Word to the scorer and his captain not to take the piss on the run in, "do it again and I'll ping you 'unsporting conduct' and you won't get your try"

Make sure if they do it again you stick to your guns

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Penalty at the restart (if, as you say, there is to be one) against NZ 6.

Though that doesn't really change much, does it? This is Sevens; white have the restart kick anyway.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes it does.
They start with a penalty - they keep possession.

The kick off - ball is much more contestable

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
not sure I follow you paul... yes they have possession... and then when they kick off that kick becvomes contestable - has to go 10m etc.

With a PK they can tap and go - and "definitely" retain possession.

didds

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Note that the match was refereed by Phil Smith, a Canadian currently in Wellington NZ for the year. I shall ask him what he would have done.

-Bryan

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Paul DG - remember that in 7s the scoring side drops out to their opponents.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
not sure I follow you paul... yes they have possession... and then when they kick off that kick becvomes contestable - has to go 10m etc.

With a PK they can tap and go - and "definitely" retain possession.

Thanks Didds. Light bulb is on now!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's a YC for me. So much time has elapsed from the scoring action it cannot be anything other than cynical and dangerous, with the possibility of retaliation later in the game. PK restart.

Gareth-Lee Smith

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
That's a YC for me. So much time has elapsed from the scoring action it cannot be anything other than cynical and dangerous, with the possibility of retaliation later in the game. PK restart.

Same here.

In addition, I don't think I agree with Greg's stance on unsportsmanlike play and possible disallowing a try - whilst it may be satisifying to penalise arrogance, I don't think it's in with the spirit of the game. Plus using those exact words makes a rod for your own back - if you say it, you have to do it else risk losing credibility.