Agree? . . .

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Venter does have a number of valid points.

All day, BL allowed players to go off their feet, with impunity; tacklers not releasing, tackled players not rolling away, side entry to tackles, hands in the ruck among other things.

Alain Rolland will not make this mistake tomorow

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
However the headline and the crux of his argument is some kind of nonsense about French indiscipline. France have beaten Wales quite a bit recently, so I have no idea where he draws his conclusions from.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Column filler stuff and deliberately provocative, and much of it nonsense.

BL's performance is covered in other threads.

I deal in reality, not hypothetical situations and "what if" scenarios.

The actual match is in my view finely balanced between two decent teams. Much of what has been written about the French is total rubbish and media specualation.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Venter does have a number of valid points.

All day, BL allowed players to go off their feet, with impunity; tacklers not releasing, tackled players not rolling away, side entry to tackles, hands in the ruck among other things.

Alain Rolland will not make this mistake tomorow

Interesting comment and opinion, Ian. Appreciated.:hap:

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
Column filler stuff and deliberately provocative, and much of it nonsense.

BL's performance is covered in other threads.

I deal in reality, not hypothetical situations and "what if" scenarios.

The actual match is in my view finely balanced between two decent teams. Much of what has been written about the French is total rubbish and media specualation.

Precisely.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I would expect France to beat Wales, assuming that the French are now in competitive mode rather than simply Gallic shrug mode.

I would also expect NZ to beat the Wallabies.

But I appear to have been wrong about lots of rugby lately so don't place any bets on my advice!
:)

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Precisely.

Your brief rejoinder 'Precisely' suggests you're in full agreement with Simon's comments, . . . .and much of it nonsense. I deal in reality, not hypothetical situations and "what if" scenarios.

Would appreciate any opinions on Venter's comments that you, as an experienced ref., don't consider nonsense, Mike.

And surely you don't go along with Simon's 'hypotheticals' sentiment, which, I suspect, was prompted by a teensy weensy bit of petulance by the irreverence displayed to the RFU by this biscuit-eating upstart.:biggrin:

Of course, you both will be involved in future hypotheticals . . . as learned and experienced refs you just won't be able to resist getting your oars in.:love:

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
Your brief rejoinder 'Precisely' suggests you're in full agreement with Simon's comments, . . . .and much of it nonsense. I deal in reality, not hypothetical situations and "what if" scenarios.

Would appreciate any opinions on Venter's comments that you, as an experienced ref., don't consider nonsense, Mike.

And surely you don't go along with Simon's 'hypotheticals' sentiment, which, I suspect, was prompted by a teensy weensy bit of petulance by the irreverence displayed to the RFU by this biscuit-eating upstart.:biggrin:

Of course, you both will be involved in future hypotheticals . . . as learned and experienced refs you just won't be able to resist getting your oars in.:love:

I'm not really an experienced ref Chopper but thanks anyway.

I agree with Venter about some of his analysis of BL's performance in the quarter final (but this is well documented in other threads): in particular I agree with "[BL] allowed all number of transgressions to go unpunished".

I also agree with his analysis on Rolland: "If the real Rolland referees in Auckland on Saturday then France and Wales will be met by an authoritarian who is not afraid to actually blow his whistle when he sees an offence."

The bits which are nonsense:

The opening line about France being "by far" the least disciplined side left in the world cup. The following nonsense about the French not understanding the tackle laws.
that BL suffered from stage fright. He just isn't a very good referee.
That games are decided by referees (this is really rich).
Then all this stuff about the french not understanding the laws. In particular about the French referee head not understanding the laws. I think Mr Venter would do well to watch a bit of top14. IMO the laws re tackler assist and especially arriving players on their feet are usually well reffed there.

I'm not sure I agree with his view on Para either, I think he released the backs very well.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The article is nonsense because France can beat Wales no matter who referees the game. Likewise they could lose the game no matter who referees the game.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Appreciated, Mike, thanks.

. . . . and I take it you will take part in future discussions involving sensible hypos.:clap:

PS. Have no fear, ATTR, Wales are going to strut their stuff tomorrow and earn themselves a worthy victory.:horse::pepper::clap:

PPS. What countries I wonder will be supporting France tomorrow?

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Why would "countries" support anyone?
What Chopper probably meant was "which country will other nationalities support?" Eg It's a pretty safe bet the majority of Scots will be supporting Wales.

Last edited:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
What Chopper probably meant was "which country will other nationalities support?" It's a pretty safe bet the majority of Scots will be supporting Wales.

. . . and your Celtic neighbours, Cornwall, believe you me, Taff.:horse:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
What's your answer Shopper?

Why would New Zealand support either side. Individual New Zealanders will support either, but the country?

I would've thought the majority of New Zealand supporters would rather lose to Wales than France should they beat Australia. And if they don't beat OZ they'll probably want Wales to win the WC.

I would also expect England and the majority of British Celtic countries' supporters along with Ireland's to support Wales. But how's about Australia, Argentina, Canada, USA, etc?

So, I wonder, is there a majority of any countries' supporters out there likely to support France?:biggrin:

. . . . Italy's perhaps?

Last edited: