Anaerobic training

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Cos I know it can be hard to get decent anaerobic training in, I thought I'd be nice and share with you all the exercise I partook in this evening. (Note - Endorphines from this may make you less grumpy)

This is best done on an actual rugby pitch, so you can get a feel for working through leg wearyness. Also best done in a group, for motivation/shared pain purposes.

Step 1 - Warm up. Seriously, do the jogging, and the stretching. Especially if it's down to 2 degrees or so.

Step 2 -
Run as hard as you possibly can for 15 seconds, turn, and continue running as hard as you can for another 15. (To really push yourself, start from the tryline and carry a marker. On this first round, drop it at the turn. Try to make it back to the tryline, and on subsequent runs, try to reach the marker.)

Step 3 -
Rest for 30 seconds.

Step 4 -
Repeat steps 2 and 3 five times.

Step 5 -
After a total of six runs, rest for four minutes. (And if you are not sucking air like an industrial vacuum cleaner by this point, you are not working hard enough.)

Step 6 -
Go through the exercise again.

Step 7 -
Resist the urge to die. Warm down - Jog, walk, put on trackies, and stretch out. Concentrate on quads and calves.

This can be made harder by increasing the run time or decreasing the rest time, or adding reps.

Four hours later, what hurts most is my back.... No idea why.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
What are cooties?

For the 15 second runs, start at the right corner flag and sprint to the left post at the far end.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well done Chickref - sounds challenging

Here's one we used to do in the last century as part of pre-season training (Designed by Margot Wells for us - as players, not refs)

using full marked out pitch and only after a thorough warm up

1. full pitch jog
2. full pitch stride extensions (1/3 rd of full pace)
3. 3 x shuttle sprint to 22m and back - 30 seconds rest
4. 2 x shuttle sprint to 10m and back - 30 seconds rest
5. 1 x shuttle sprint to halfway and back - 30 seconds rest

3 minutes rest

repeat

3 minutes rest

1. full pitch jog
2. full pitch stride extensions (1/3 rd of full pace)
3. full pitch sprint - rest one minute
4. full pitch sprint
5. full pitch jog

the final section was usually only done by the backs and flankers and a massive competitive group element was used to push performances.

another version I did when training for athletics (100,200 and 400m) was :

first lap jog / strides (half pace)
second lap : 100m stride / 100m sprint / 100m stride / 100m sprint
third lap : 200m stride / 200m sprint
fourth lap : 400m stride
fifth lap : 200m stride / 200m sprint
sixth lap : 100m stride / 100m sprint / 100m stride / 100m sprint
final lap : 400m stride

rest 5 minutes

repeat

rest 5 minutes

repeat

crawl away & die

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks Simon that memory was a distant one. Now back firmly in my mind!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
For the 15 second runs, start at the right corner flag and sprint to the left post at the far end.

there speaks a back. most (ex) forwards would struggle to make to half way in that time.

or is that just me?

:)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
In order to get true anaerobic benefits you need have a serious oxygen debt.

Many years ago I trained with Peter Higgins, Commonwealth Gold Medalist and 1956 Olympic Bronze medallist in 4 x 400. In his mid 40s he would still run a sub 50 second 400 metres on a single breath.

I used the holding breath technique in my athletics training, and found that it did give a greater ability cope with an oxygen debt in competition - I found myself able to run faster without gasping helplessly for breath. It also helped me be able to keep talking while working hard when I became a referee.

But modern medical advice should probably be sought - dunno if Dr Stu has a view?

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dont believe her Chickref is just trying to repel Dickie's advances

Davet

Post Likes
Everyone is trying to repel Dickie's advances.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At least you have the advantage of being in a different city and country to him. Some of us are not that lucky...

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Centuwion, why do they titter so? :confused:

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Not sure if this is on the same level or type of fitness as those stated but, I remember pre-season fitness sessions involving:

20 x 100m sprints (1 min turn around); or
40 x 50 m sprints (30 sec turn around) this is tougher than the top one even though same distance; and
I guess you could mix it up. 2 x 50m sprints then 2 x 100m sprints continually swapping.
Or shuttle runs where you have to turn around, lie on the ground get back up and go every time you hit a line on the field (5m, 22m, 10m, half way, 10m, 22m, 5m, far try line) every second shuttle is a sprint, every other a recovery jog.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
My 400m training involved periodic sessions where 200m shuttles would be run in 30 seconds, followed by 30 seconds rest. Doddle - until the 15th or so. Target for the evening was 30+. By 20, you are taking 33-35 seconds to do the 200 - so your recovery is reduced. By 30, speaking for myself I was almost doing straight 90 second 400's.

Davet

Post Likes
I always struggled to get under 50 seconds for the 400, and best time for the mile was 4:12, 5,000metres was more my mark at just on 15mins. But that was all along time ago.

I don't know what my 400m time would be now, but I suspect 90 seconds for one would be pushing it

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My 400m training involved periodic sessions where 200m shuttles would be run in 30 seconds, followed by 30 seconds rest. Doddle - until the 15th or so. Target for the evening was 30+. By 20, you are taking 33-35 seconds to do the 200 - so your recovery is reduced. By 30, speaking for myself I was almost doing straight 90 second 400's.

thanks Dixie, you just reminded me and Jenko of Margot's other 'beasting' routine.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In order to get true anaerobic benefits you need have a serious oxygen debt.

Many years ago I trained with Peter Higgins, Commonwealth Gold Medalist and 1956 Olympic Bronze medallist in 4 x 400. In his mid 40s he would still run a sub 50 second 400 metres on a single breath.

I used the holding breath technique in my athletics training, and found that it did give a greater ability cope with an oxygen debt in competition - I found myself able to run faster without gasping helplessly for breath. It also helped me be able to keep talking while working hard when I became a referee.

But modern medical advice should probably be sought - dunno if Dr Stu has a view?

For 100m I was coached to exhale on set and next inhale once over the finishing line.

For 400m it was long deep breaths in a consistent rythmn.

Oh the memories (of the pain !)

SimplySimon

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Maybe Simon Thomas could volunteer to take Hampshire pre-season this year with his ideas.....

Remind me to miss those ones :biggrin:

I'll stick to only sprinting when I'm missing my dinner!!!:D

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Maybe Simon Thomas could volunteer to take Hampshire pre-season this year with his ideas.....

Remind me to miss those ones :biggrin:

I'll stick to only sprinting when I'm missing my dinner!!!:D

Sorry Si, not my 'baby' anymore and I have my own pre-season to do.

400m slow walks - including dog mess & young children avoidance techniques, writing and watching activities simultaneously, clock on / off whilst writing, ignoring rude & insulting remarks by coaches / managers, logging MILF scores separately from match stats, opening / shutting umbrella whilst writing on clipboard paper, and juggling mug of coffee / cipboard / umbrella / stopwatch / pencil.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
All these distances seem a bit much. I'm all for developing anaerobic capacity, but going through the sprints of 400m lengths seems a bit much. Then again my runs are for time so hitting that is probably reasonable.

At your "level of experience" GILFs would be more appropriate a benchmark.