[Law] Ankle Taps

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Apologies if this is a well-worn discussion, but I can't find much using the search function here.

Everyone knows ankle tap tackles, but... what status do they have?

I presume that they're not tackles - no-one is held - so it's just treated as the ball-carrier falling; they can pass, release or pick up the ball and continue on their way if they can, and the 'tackler' also has no obligations. Should we just ref it as an "assisted stumble" in open play?

[LAWS]10.4(d) [FONT=fs_blakeregular]Tripping. [/FONT][FONT=fs_blakeregular]A player must not trip an opponent with the leg or foot. [/FONT][/LAWS] specifies with a leg or foot as a dangerous tackle, and I'm pretty sure there'd be riot if any ref blew for a normal tap tackle - but why is a sliding foot hook worse than a leaping hand trip (more difficult in a normal game, of course, but that's irrelevant)? Just because of more likelihood of colliding and spraining an ankle? Or to discourage boots-first play?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
trips are illegal because (I reckon) of the danger of bone-on-bone collision and broken legs.

Ankle taps are one of those odd lacuna in the Law

The Law covers what you can do to the ball carrier,

[LAWS]Any player may tackle, hold or push an opponent holding the ball.[/LAWS]

so a Martian reading the Law book would conclude that ankle taps, being none of those, are illegal, but nevertheless by convention they are allowed.

eventually no doubt something will happen to cause the Lawmakers to change the Law to mention them, and bring the Law into line with how the game is played (as they did with hand-offs)

You are correct, the effect is the same as if the ball carrier simply fell : he wasn't tackled, so he doesn't need to release the ball, and he can get back up again.

Last edited:

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've always thought ankle taps to be in the pushing category.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Since a foot involves a boot and studs it (a) protects the tripper; and (b) is more likely to inflict injury on the opponent.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If the non ball carrier slides into the ball carrier and makes contact with their shoulder or body it is probably dangerous.

I was going to say tackler, but it isn't a tackle. Cannot use defender as we do not know where on the pitch we are.

If you want proof it is legal quote Craig Joubert

http://www.sareferees.com/ref-replies/duty-rerf-413--craig-joubert/2829541/

Though I note he does not provide a law reference.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A player brought to ground by an ankle tap is deal with under Law 14.

[LAWS]Law 14: Ball on the Ground - No Tackle

DEFINITIONS
This situation occurs when the ball is available on the ground and a player goes to
ground to gather the ball, except immediately after a scrum or a ruck.
It also occurs when a player is on the ground in possession of the ball and has not
been tackled.
[/LAWS]

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... why is a sliding foot hook worse than a leaping hand trip (more difficult in a normal game, of course, but that's irrelevant)?
I reckon it's just a safety thing.

When I was playing, I've been "tap-tackled" and it's no biggie. I have also had a desperate opponent instinctively stick a foot out to trip me up as I went past him. I was effectively kicked in the ankle .... and was out of action for a few weeks.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I reckon it's just a safety thing.

When I was playing, I've been "tap-tackled" and it's no biggie. I have also had a desperate opponent instinctively stick a foot out to trip me up as I went past him. I was effectively kicked in the ankle .... and was out of action for a few weeks.

Interestingly, in Australian Rules Football, a tap tackle with the hand is as heinous as a trip.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interestingly, in Australian Rules Football, a tap tackle with the hand is as heinous as a trip.

I don't think that has anything to do with safety, its simply to do with how the game is played.

In AFL a tackle has to be executed "below the shoulders and above and including the knees", so ANY kind of tackle or contact below the knees is illegal.

On the other hand, in AFL, passing, handing or throwing the ball to a team-mate is a heinous crime (incorrect disposal). A player may only dispose of the football by kicking or handballing... literally propelling the ball with a strike of the hand.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a player injured by a tap tackle?

I haven't.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Pushing is legitimate.

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=7 [LAWS]Any player may tackle, hold or push an opponent holding the ball.[/LAWS]

I wasn't questioning pushing, perhaps I responded to the wrong post.

The point I was failing to make was that a player could claim that a tap tackle was a genuine attempt to grab hold of an ankle and so is definitely legitimate.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The point I was failing to make was that a player could claim that a tap tackle was a genuine attempt to grab hold of an ankle and so is definitely legitimate.

And the ball carrier would not be allowed to jump to avoid the ankle tap as this would be illegal.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I wasn't questioning pushing, perhaps I responded to the wrong post.

1. the beauty of the ankle tap, is that it gives the would be tackler a second chance to bring the ball carrier down.
2. I would strongly discourage player trying to hug (or hold) the ankle of a player determined to run away.

The first technique causes the ball carrier to fall in a heap. While the second may well end with the tackler getting a face full of studs as the ball carrier pulls his foot away.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Tap tackle - it is pushing the ankle of the player. So it is pushing the player with the ball. That is legal. Grasping is also legal.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tap tackle - it is pushing the ankle of the player. So it is pushing the player with the ball. That is legal. Grasping is also legal.

well, no, it's not actually a push is it? The clue is in the name : it's a tap.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so players executing a tap never push the ankle/foot/shin?

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
well, no, it's not actually a push is it? The clue is in the name : it's a tap.
Do we really want to referee with that degree of pedantry? "Tap tackle" is not an official term anyway.