Anthem Remix

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I haven't watched it yet but if it beats Lesley Garrett signing GSTQ after Wiggins won the TdF in 2012 it'll be excrutiating.

Sir Brad's face says it all.

View attachment 3241

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I never understand why anyone needs people singing national anthems. Get one really good version on tape and just play it at all events.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I never understand why anyone needs people singing national anthems. Get one really good version on tape and just play it at all events.

and then follow it up with a old tape of a really good rugby match.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
and then follow it up with a old tape of a really good rugby match.

i like the thinking crossref,

expand.......

video of some better fireworks , erica roe's halftime entertainment on replay, <edited by mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
In the grand tradition of sport, the national anthem has once again gone wrong.
I'm not sure what was wrong with it, but it sounded OK to me if I'm honest.

I do wish that singers shouldn't "jazz up" the endings. Just sing it as it's meant to be sung - that's what people want, it's what they like and it's what they expect. If I was in charge there would be a 5 mile exclusion zone for any opera singer around all international rugby grounds.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I do wish that singers shouldn't "jazz up" the endings. Just sing it as it's meant to be sung - that's what people want, it's what they like and it's what they expect.

If I was in charge there would be a 5 mile exclusion zone for any opera singer around all international rugby grounds.

yep, nothing better than the Treorchy male voice choir tenors belting out their injazzed rendition.

apparently ...... "In 1905, when defeating New Zealand in a rugby match, "Hen wlad fy nhadau" became the first national anthem to be sung before a sporting match"

obviously the tradition created then has worked well for you ever since
:eng::biggrin:

:nz: :love: :wales:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So, let's have some anthem trivia -- which countries in Rugby have as their pre-match song something other than their nation's National Anthem?

Obviously the home countries spring to mind..

Ireland - Ireland's Call - song specially written to be anthem for all-Ireland sporting teams
Scotland - Flower of Scotland - patrotic song with no official standing
England - God Save the Queen. This is an official Nation Anthem, but that of the UK rather than of England, which doesn't have one of its own

but are there any other teams at the RWC who will sing something other than their country's official National Anthem ?

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
South Africa combines two - does that count?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
So, let's have some anthem trivia -- which countries in Rugby have as their pre-match song something other than their nation's National Anthem?

Ireland - Ireland's Call - song specially written to be anthem for all-Ireland sporting teams
England - God Save the Queen. This is an official Nation Anthem, but that of the UK rather than of England, which doesn't have one of its own

but are there any other teams at the RWC who will sing something other than their country's official National Anthem ?
Let's add the Welsh anthem where, as far as I can tell, they get all songful about some national hen. Do they think they're French?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Let's add the Welsh anthem where, as far as I can tell, they get all songful about some national hen. Do they think they're French?
There are various "translations" eg
My hen laid a haddock, one hand oiled a flea,
Glad farts and centurions threw dogs in the sea,
I could stew a hare here and brandish Dan's flan,
Don's ruddy bog's blocked up with sand.

(Cytgan - Chorus)

Dad! Dad! Why don't you oil Auntie Glad?
Can whores appear in beer bottle pies,
O butter the hens as they fly!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=My+Hen+Laid+A+Haddock

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

we used to sing Waltzing Matilda until the IRB banned it

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2003/s934231.htm

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Now we have that old time classic..."Ozzie ozzie ozzie, oi, Oi ,oi!"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the Welsh National Anthem seems to have a more 'official' status than, say, Flower of Scotland

National anthem[edit]
Tradition has established Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau as an unofficial Welsh anthem[1] since 1905, when it was first sung by fans at rugby games, although the official national anthem at the time was God Bless the Prince of Wales. Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau slowly established itself as the more popular anthem over the next four decades, and was sung along with God Bless the Prince of Wales and God Save the Queen before sporting events until 1975, when sports officials decided that "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" should be sung alone. Like other British anthems, it has not been established as a national anthem by law, but it has been used as a national anthem at official governmental ceremonies, including the opening of the Welsh Assembly, and at receptions of the British monarchy since the 1970s.[2][6] It is recognised and used as an anthem at both national and local events in Wales

I guess that something similar happened in the various former colonies where God Save the King must have been replaced first unofficially, and then later officially by songs like Advance New Zealand Fair.