Any recommendations for where to live in Leicestershire?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
So I'm thinking of retiring (from work, obviously - retired from reffing a while ago) and moving to Leicestershire. Location parameters are:

Pretty village
Energy efficient modern property
Easy access to M1 North
Good recreational facilities nearby
Striking distance of Welford Road for Tigers games (Phil E to provide concessionary season ticket rates?)

Currently in pole position is Newtown Linford, and other villages surrounding Bradgate Park - Woodhouse Eaves also on the front row of the grid. Can anyone suggest any others?

Anything that ought to put me off and keep me in a draughty Edwardian pile near Slough?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Dixie, I sent an email round to everyone at work who lives locally (as I don't).

I will keep updating this post as answers come in. Nice to know I will have somewhere to crash after celebrating another Tigers win hic!

Answers:

Belton is quite nice  just outside of Shepshed

He’s bang on to be honest. Anywhere up there (Swithland, Rothley, Anstey, Mountsorrell, and across the M1 at Newtown Unthank, Thornton, Desford) are nice places to live, but with the prices that go with it! With Bradgate Park, Beacon Hill etc it’s really popular for walking and bike riding.

South Leicestershire may be worth a look. Lutterworth, Bitteswell, Leire, Frolesworth area.

I am local and know these places well, I live in Quorn which a very sought after pretty village – 20 – 30 minutes’ drive to Tigers, easy access of M1 as I used to use it every day for 9 years.
Loads of Restaurants and Cafes, country pubs, small boutique shops, waitross. The village offers some lovely properties. Recommended roads if fit with in price bracket – Buddon lane, Chaveney Road and Chaveney Walk – most sought after roads.
Recreation – Bowls club, cricket club, evening classes at Rawlins collage, village hall offers yoga classes and stuff. Always village fete and strong community. Pub life is strong too after country walk at Beacon hill.
I have lives in the area all my life and now Woodhouse, Quorn and surrounding areas really well so if they want more info. Tell then to drop me a line, happy to help.

Newtown Linford is very pretty place but can get very congested in summer as the park is extremely busy on Sundays. The main road can get blocked.

I’d go for the Langtons or the Bowdens around Market Harbs, darling!

New developments going up near Loughborough just off A6 - direct route and the best side of Leicester by far – any Charnwood village is good

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
My cousin lives in Blaby, a few miles south, seems a nice place when I visit

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Phil E has given a good summary. It may all depend on what price bracket you are in and the size of house you want.
I like visiting Newton Linford (if you are considering it then you have a decent budget!) but as Phil says it can get chock a block in the summer with visitors/tourists out for a walk in the park. Woodhouse Eaves can get some busy traffic if you are on or near the main road. (On the way to Newton Linford!) I agree with going North of Leicester. The Charnwood Forest has quite a few nice places/villages. It may depend on what local facilities you want in addition to somewhere warm. I don’t like to admit it but the outskirts of Quorn are quite pleasant. Of course there is the benefit of having the facilities of Loughborough nearby; a good local rugby team and the Students team, (when not at Tigers) plus a good number of decent restaurants, pubs and theatre.
Get in touch if you want to ask any more.
Balones (Loughborough)

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There's a lovely place about 80 miles North of Leicester.