Are Nike Tiempo studs legal?

SeanBott10

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Hi,
I've recently bought the new Nike Tiempo Legend 10 Elite boots, and decided to be proactive and get them checked by the ref pregame. I was told that although they are rounded, as the tip is less than 10mm they would be classed as illegal and I wouldn't be able to wear them.

With this type of boots, you cannot remove/change the studs, yet they are being worn at the top level by players such as Owen Farrell and Marcus Smith.

Am I better off just sending them back and getting a different pair of boots or are they OK to play in?

Attachments

• tiempo-legend-10-elite-football-boot-Ffn09t.jpeg
    tiempo-legend-10-elite-football-boot-Ffn09t.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 10
  • tiempo-legend-10-elite-football-boot-Ffn09t (1).jpeg
    tiempo-legend-10-elite-football-boot-Ffn09t (1).jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 10

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No one can really answer your question definitively, unfortunately...

It is possible that the manufacturers have performed tests showing that they are just as safe as studs with 10mm ends.

But really it's not just about the refs .. are YOU confident that they are safe ? You wouldn't want to wear unsafe studs

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The RFU issued a statement when these first came out saying they are legal (in England).
No idea where you would find a copy though.

Have in the back of my mind that World Rugby issued a similar statement?

SeanBott10

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
No one can really answer your question definitively, unfortunately...

It is possible that the manufacturers have performed tests showing that they are just as safe as studs with 10mm ends.

But really it's not just about the refs .. are YOU confident that they are safe ? You wouldn't want to wear unsafe studs
Yes I believe they are safe to play in. There are no sharp edges, and are rounded. But obviously the ref gets the final say.
The ref I asked said they tick all the boxes, except for the tip being under 10mm.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Rule #1: dont think anything that happens in the elite game applies to the community game. (assuming you play at community level and not a championship side!)

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
"The referee has the power to decide at any time that part of a player’s clothing is dangerous or illegal. In this case, the referee must order the player to remove the item." Law 4.5. So marginal cases may go one way or the other depending on the referee.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me - I buy boots with replaceable studs and then I replace the studs with good old fashioned rugby studs, rounded and over 10mm

But it's harder and harder to find boots that don't have a small number of moulded projections in and amongst the studs. My current boots do.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes I believe they are safe to play in. There are no sharp edges, and are rounded. But obviously the ref gets the final say.
The ref I asked said they tick all the boxes, except for the tip being under 10mm.

If I had splashed out on these boots as a player I would actively seek out the communication from the RFU and have a copy in my pocket when the ref did the boot check. Not all ref's have read what's disseminated by the RFU so being helpful in showing him that they ar4e deemed legal by the RFU wouldn't be impolite.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Is it a requirement for the tip diameter to be 10mm or greater?

Looking on the WR guidance, it clearly states that studs "must not be longer than 21 mm, and must not have any burring or sharp edges." Everything else there is essentially guidance, notably that a stud shown in the diagram "should give satisfactory performance" and "the shape and dimensions of other stud/cleat designs should be such that they present a no greater risk of injury to another player than the stud/cleat shown in figure 1".

On the other hand, the figure is labelled "Acceptable dimensions for conical or cylindrical studs/cleats are shown in Figure 1."... I suppose any studs that don't match are therefore "unacceptable"? However, the guidance clearly states other stud dimensions are allowed if they present no greater risk of injury.

Studs-Figure-1.png

SeanBott10

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
For me - I buy boots with replaceable studs and then I replace the studs with good old fashioned rugby studs, rounded and over 10mm

But it's harder and harder to find boots that don't have a small number of moulded projections in and amongst the studs. My current boots do.
As these boot don't have removable studs, and I'd seen the international players wearing them, naively I just assumed they'd be fine.
I think I'm going to have to either get the thumbs up off the RFU, or send them back and find some with removable studs

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
From the referee's perspective, I understand the situation to be that all shapes and sizes are allowed, but as referee you have general discretion to refuse any studs you consider unsafe.

It's been quite a while since I last rejected any studs. I know for a fact that some referees had stopped doing inspections at all (I continue, mainly because it's an expected part of the ritual)

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
From the referee's perspective, I understand the situation to be that all shapes and sizes are allowed, but as referee you have general discretion to refuse any studs you consider unsafe.

It's been quite a while since I last rejected any studs. I know for a fact that some referees had stopped doing inspections at all (I continue, mainly because it's an expected part of the ritual)
Law 6.4 The match officials must inspect the players’ clothing and studs for conformity to Law 4.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes indeed.
I have never once inspected clothing, do you ?
I do perform stud checks, but I know that not all refs do.

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Yes indeed.
I have never once inspected clothing, do you ?
I do perform stud checks, but I know that not all refs do.
In my previous association a jewellery/watch check was mandated in the competition rules and pretty standard, in my new association it's not - but I still check.

Occasionally find something that someone forgot.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just found this relating to RFU people.

Attachments

• RugbySafe-Essential-Guides-and-Templates-2022-23.pdf
    9 MB · Views: 33

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was advised "look at the shape of the tip of your little finger, anything sharper than that could be deemed dangerous; but use your common sense". I only ever objected to one pair of boots that looked dangerous to even touch!