Army v Navy 9th May - appeal

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
A friends daughter is part of her school side that have won through to their U15 rugby Final which will be played at halftime during the Army v Navy fixture at Twickenham on 9/5/15.

Her parents would love to go & watch, but official ticket routes say " sold out" , so they've drawn a blank!.

Do any of our UK Forces Members have any way to access tickets through their forces connections? As a minimum 2 tickets needed, ( but could take more cos other parents are in the same boat/tank :) )

If anyone can help these parents acquire some tickets , then please PM me ASAP, and i'll put both 'parties' in contact etc....

Or any other routes/suggestions ??
Many thanks.
Browner

MAY 09 15:00 SAT
team.1957.png

Army v Navy for the Babcock Trophy

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Really shabby if no tickets are offered / provided to the families of the kids.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Maybe. 15 players x 2 teams x 2 (4?) parents x £price = lost revenue

PR?

Investment in the future?

Marketing?

Call it what you will the loss of revenue, and bear in mind it would be the cheap seats, is negligable to the goodwill created.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
PR?

Investment in the future?

Marketing?

Call it what you will the loss of revenue, and bear in mind it would be the cheap seats, is negligable to the goodwill created.

Can finance directors ever be expected to assign a value to future goodwill earnings , that will be only realised long after they have acheived their current round of profits and bonuses and retired their current position??!

How did life make me cynical, I used to believe in the tooth fairy.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Finance directors do it all the time. It's part of a company's marketing policy. Are you suggesting the finance people have no input into marketing costs?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Maybe. 15 players x 2 teams x 2 (4?) parents x £price = lost revenue
PR? Investment in the future? Marketing? Call it what you will the loss of revenue, and bear in mind it would be the cheap seats, is negligable to the goodwill created.
If I was in charge the families would have free tickets - or at the very least the option to buy a ticket at cost price.

No loss of revenue then.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If I was in charge the families would have free tickets - or at the very least the option to buy a ticket at cost price.

No loss of revenue then.

it sounds like they'd even be prepared to pay full price if only tickets were available

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
it sounds like they'd even be prepared to pay full price if only tickets were available
That's exactly my point Dickie; there IS no "loss of revenue". That's all the families want is a chance to buy a ticket. Every sod should be happy - the bean counters get the money - the families get a ticket and a chance to see their kids play at a national stadium.

Hell, Twickenham has an 82,000 capacity. Surely it's not too much to ask to set aside 88 tickets for families of kids playing at half time.

I don't think it's an unreasonable request. These are the parents supporting / driving / helping the kids which will hopefully be playing international rugby on the same pitch in about 16 years time. It's just my opinion, but it appears a bit short-sighted to me.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Finance directors do it all the time. It's part of a company's marketing policy.
Are you suggesting the finance people have no input into marketing costs?

No, I'm suggesting that immediate returns and immediate bonuses and immmedite uplift in profits can be used on someone's CV when they zip off and then get their next job offer! .... If you haven't seen that happen in your corporate life, then you're fortunate or likely in a different profession.

As an example, here is the "PR" publication for a recent business appointment ....
In over four years at the xxxx , yyyyyyyy spearheaded impressive growth across media distribution, sponsorship, licensing and events

Unbelievably (!!?!!) there is no reference to "Goodwill" that the person achieved, incidentally in their prior role held for a few years from moving on from another 'Growth' role !!!! :sarc:

I didn't have you down as so naieve Pegleg :chin:

Notwithstanding the above, I hope someone can find them some tickets, whilst it's a special event day for these Servicemen, it is for these parents also.:bday:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
That's exactly my point Dickie; there IS no "loss of revenue". That's all the families want is a chance to buy a ticket. Every sod should be happy - the bean counters get the money - the families get a ticket and a chance to see their kids play at a national stadium.

Hell, Twickenham has an 82,000 capacity. Surely it's not too much to ask to set aside 88 tickets for families of kids playing at half time.

I don't think it's an unreasonable request. These are the parents supporting / driving / helping the kids which will hopefully be playing international rugby on the same pitch in about 16 years time. It's just my opinion, but it appears a bit short-sighted to me.

The fact is they haven't had any allocated ( of course theyd expect to pay) which means either the marketing people forgot, overlooked, or didn't plan. Either way I agree its a shame.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
How can you have a game at half-time? A U15 Final no less?

Two halves of 25 minutes each is the norm for U15 here, and has been shortened to 2x20 when they play semi-final and final same day.

Confused.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I didn't have you down as so naieve Pegleg :chin:

nothing to do with naive Browner.

Why do they have the U15s there? It's for publicity and goodwill. Remember it's not just the finance director but the marketing people and the people who are charged with "growing the game" that are interested parties.

It's good "politics" to invite the parents free or on a 2-4-1 offer.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
When my grandson was selected to be the ball carrier for England v Samoa, his family got 4 free seats in the middle of the West Stand, right by the players' tunnel.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I am sure that it is an oversight. Twickenham not to blame, as Army & Navy RUs sell the tickets. They have probably been caught unawares by the demand this year - sold out what 4 weeks in advance? It wasn't so long ago when the Upper Tier was closed off.

If it happens next year (or happened last year) then they should be roundly castigated.

(But I thought that there were qualifying rounds at Staines RFC before the final finalists were determined; that would justify the short period for the final itself, if they ahd played a few matches first.)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think this will explain a lot.
10 teams are competing in preliminary rounds at the RAG in the morninf
Only the free inalists get to play at Twickenham (so they probably don't want to shell out £80 per ticket at this stage)
The match is before army v navy, not at half time.

I wonder if the organisers have this all sorted .. the two finalists will be obviously be given a bunch of access passes to watch the game, hopefully that will be enough for parents as well as players and coach.

http://www.shottonhallschool.co.uk/news-and-events/2015/4/2/u15-girls-regional-rugby-champs#/news-and-events/2015/4/2/u15-girls-regional-rugby-champs

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
An old ruggar buddy has come up trumps, thanks go to Group Captain xxxxxxx yyyyyyy who accessed some 'spares'

Thanks to everyone who asked around etc...

Over.