Aus beats Ireland. Does this count?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I sat and watched that whole match last night. Bloody exciting for a made up game even if I didn't really understand what was going on half the time.

I'd love to see how the GAA players would cope with an oddshaped ball!

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd love to see how the GAA players would cope with an oddshaped ball!

I'd suspect they wouldn't cope well for the first couple of matches. I think the AFL footy suits a more direct kicking style while the round ball style tends to be more "bent". Their running bounces are usually close together and any aussie can tell you that bouncing a footy on the run is a black art at the best of times, doing two in very close proximity is almost impossible.

Having said that, the GAA boys are pretty skilled with their feet, I'm sure they would adjust, just like the AFL players have to every year.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I know there are coaches out there who frown on their players laughing and having a joke with opposition players immediately after a game while still on the field, but there was something in what happened after the England v Samoa match that makes you proud that we are involved in this game and not some of the other codes. It also reinforces the fact that after all, it's only a game.

View attachment 3089

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I was out of the room st that moment and missed it. Do we know if this was spontaneous or planned? Not that being planned reduced it's impact and meaning of course....

Didds

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I was out of the room st that moment and missed it. Do we know if this was spontaneous or planned? Not that being planned reduced it's impact and meaning of course....

Didds

I didn't see this part where they all went down on one knee. I saw the players shaking hands as is the custom and the next thing I knew they had formed a circle, standing and linking arms around the backs of those next to each other. Powerful display of sportsmanship and respect. I didn't see this next stage but it was the only photo I could find.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
looks a bit nonsecular to me

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Didds

In interview afterwards Robshaw said it was spontaneous.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I've been to an International Rules game in Dublin. It was more fighting than boxing!!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
...I'd love to see how the GAA players would cope with an oddshaped ball!
Hi Ian,
Jack Carty skills with an odd shaped ball were on display this week-end in the Pro12.

Mick Galwey, from your era, won an All-Ireland Senior Football Championship with Kerry way back when. While Moss Keane played U21 also for the Kingdom county.

Current players : Rob Kearney, Tomas O’Leary, the young Rob Henshaw, Tommy Bowe, Sean Cronin, and Simon Zebo have all played GAA (Okay Zebo played hurling & not Football)

Retired players : Brian O Driscoll, Shane Horgan and Geordan Murphy all GAA vets. I think GAA skills marry well with Rugby Union. Cross-field kicks, challenging for the ball in the air...

Last edited:

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've been to an International Rules game in Dublin. It was more fighting than boxing!!

That all changed around 2008 when they started having sanctions carry over from the International Rules Series to AFL and GAA leagues.