ball dead?

scarlet referee

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Recently been instructed to only stop the game for injuries if 1. A player is seriously injured or in harms way or 2. A front row player is injured with a scrum due to be set. Just wondering at youth level with equal numbers required at scrums, if a back row player is injured should you insist on continuing and form the scrum with both 8s dropped? Then if he recovers leave them out with the backs for this set piece?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
ALWAYS stop for injuries at age grade rugby.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I don't agree.
if there are first-aiders, as there should be, tell them before the game they can come on to treat injuries, absolutely no need to routinely stop (obviously stop if close to play, for safety, or for serious stuff.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

I don't agree.
if there are first-aiders, as there should be, tell them before the game they can come on to treat injuries, absolutely no need to routinely stop (obviously stop if close to play, for safety, or for serious stuff.
I'm with Crossref here. While the injury that I stop for is quite a lot less serious in junior than in adult, I still see no upside for the injured player in having 30 other people staring at what's going on. If he's getting treatment and out of the way of the game being played, why stop?

One reason, of course, is because that is the typical expectation, and you may just get loads of players standing and shouting at you to stop the game because Jimmy the hooker got a bit of a kick on the shins at the last scrum. Equally, parents may become irrationally irate if you play on. But I see no reason in principle to stop a game when a player is receiving the treatment he needs.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm with Crossref here. While the injury that I stop for is quite a lot less serious in junior than in adult, I still see no upside for the injured player in having 30 other people staring at what's going on. If he's getting treatment and out of the way of the game being played, why stop?

One reason, of course, is because that is the typical expectation, and you may just get loads of players standing and shouting at you to stop the game because Jimmy the hooker got a bit of a kick on the shins at the last scrum. Equally, parents may become irrationally irate if you play on. But I see no reason in principle to stop a game when a player is receiving the treatment he needs.

this can be true -- and to cover this when I speak to the coaches before the game I ask them if they have a first-aider/physio, and say to them that for injuries he/she doesn't need my permission to come on the pitch, just come straight on, and for a routine injury we'll play on, agreed. What upsets parents is if the player isn't being attended to, while play continues.

Obviously this is age dependant, at U11 I'll stop the game much more readily than U15.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
At whatever level I would always tell physios they can just come on when they feel they need to, standing permission granted. Just get on and attend to the player. Let me know if it's something serious.