Ball placement query

Dan Cottrell

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Just been tutoring on a L1 coaches course and heard this:

If the tackled player lands on the ball or the ball touches the ground after the tackle, then that is his opportunity to place the ball immediately used up.

Is that right?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Certainly is not the way I would referee it. I would allow the tackled player place/use the ball as long as he did so without delay.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel

If the tackled player lands on the ball or the ball touches the ground after the tackle, then that is his opportunity to place the ball immediately used up.

Is that right?

Absolutely not.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Is that right?

crapola

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Have a look at the tackle law here and particularly 15.5.

But basically, there is no mention of the ball touching the ground and any {insert the word of your choice from above} like that.

The tackled player is basically entitled to either pass, push, release or place the ball immediately.

Hope it helps.
Cheers,
Pierre.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Balderdash!

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Sounds like something that came out of the back of a donkey

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This sounds as if it comes from the simplistic notion that you can move your hands but not your body - which is of course wrong.

You must not move your body forwards, but you can certainly lift slightly so that you can get the ball out and reach out with your hands.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Just been tutoring on a L1 coaches course and heard this: If the tackled player lands on the ball or the ball touches the ground after the tackle, then that is his opportunity to place the ball immediately used up. Is that right?
Piffle.

How old are the coaches? Years and years ago, I'm pretty sure there was a law that said if you were tackled and the ball touched the floor, you had to release it. There was definately some advantage in keeping the ball off the ground, but 30 yrs later I can't remember what that advantage was. Either way, we were definately coached at school and college rugby to do our best to keep the ball off the floor if we were tackled. We quickly learnt that if you fell a certain way, we could be brought to ground but still keep the ball off the ground. If that makes sense.

Something in the back of my mind says we couldn't pass the ball if it had touched the ground ie we just had to push, place or release it.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Piffle.

How old are the coaches? Years and years ago, I'm pretty sure there was a law that said if you were tackled and the ball touched the floor, you had to release it. There was definately some advantage in keeping the ball off the ground, but 30 yrs later I can't remember what that advantage was. Either way, we were definately coached at school and college rugby to do our best to keep the ball off the floor if we were tackled. We quickly learnt that if you fell a certain way, we could be brought to ground but still keep the ball off the ground. If that makes sense.

Something in the back of my mind says we couldn't pass the ball if it had touched the ground ie we just had to push, place or release it.

I seem to remember a try scored by NZ (Stu Wilson?) where Hika Reid gets tackled and holds the ball in one hand off the floor for what seems like an age then passes (one handed) it to SW to run through and score. Maybe that was the law then or more likely just the All Blacks cheating (again) :biggrin:

If anyone has an old vidoe of Bill McLaren's 101 Best Tries it's in there - even with the rosiest of tinted glasses some of that early 70s (I know Reid is early 80s) rugby is awful although Simon Thomas types rubbing their balls with dubbin may explain some of that away.

I'm sure I recall some silly old duffer at Twickenham or Murrayfield used to polish the match balls with Ox Blood Polish!!!!!

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Before 1954 the ball had to be first played with the foot after a tackle. A tackle meant the player was either held so he could not play the ball, or the ball touched the ground. The tackled player had to release the ball immediately.

1974: a tackle occurred when the ball carrier was brought to ground or the ball touched the ground (ie no standing tackle any more). The tackled player had to release the ball immediately "without playing it in any other way".

1983: That quoted phrase was defined as allowing the tackled player to place the ball in any direction.

From 1985 he was also allowed to pass the ball.

From 1954 to 1974 it would seem that you could avoid a "tackle" in the technical sense by preventing the ball from touching the ground. However there was a separate law about a player lying on the ground with the ball, which said he must immediately play the ball, though playing the ball was not further defined. In 1979 that law specifically allowed a player who had not been tackled to pass the ball (cf modern Law 14).

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
1974: a tackle occurred when the ball carrier was brought to ground or the ball touched the ground (ie no standing tackle any more). The tackled player had to release the ball immediately "without playing it in any other way".

From 1985 he was also allowed to pass the ball.
Thanks OB.

I wonder whether the Coaches confusion stems from this law. If he was playing back in the 70s and early 80s, it may explain things.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's funny how some old laws are forgotten quickly, some stay with you.

Am I correct that in the old days of a 'mark' after the mark was given opponents could stay where they were, an it was up to the player who made the mark to retreat backwards if he wanted a bit space to make his kick in?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It's funny how some old laws are forgotten quickly, some stay with you.

Am I correct that in the old days of a 'mark' after the mark was given opponents could stay where they were, an it was up to the player who made the mark to retreat backwards if he wanted a bit space to make his kick in?
Yes, that is correct.

In 1937 opponents had to retire 10 yards at a penalty kick. In 1977 a Free Kick became a sanction in its own right, the Mark was restricted to own's own half, and a goal from a mark was discontinued, so they brought the Free Kick into line with a penalty by requiring opponents to be 10 metres back.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Isn't it a rule in league that the ball can be passed/played until the tackled players arms touch the ground? Could this be where the coach is getting his confused information?