Ball Thrown Out - Penalty Try

the magpie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
One of the hypotheticals I thought of not long after I became a ref was whether I would award a penalty try for a defensive player slapping a loose ball over the DBL/TIG. Then I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOjjGvLjgfI

Since league is a big sport in the northern Australian states, I see as a player a number of occassions through the season where players a miffed as to why they've been penalised for batting the ball over the DBL. But never a penalty try...

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If it prevents a probable try...

But that's a hard call to make deep inin-goal when the ball is still moving and may well make it out on it's own.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
I always thought deliberately throwing/knocking the ball deliberately into TiG, as with touch, is a PK, irrespective.

Second opinion somebody? :sad:

Davet

Post Likes
You are correct - deliberately throwing the ball out of play is a penalty offence. Is there anything in this thread that throws doubt in your mind?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I always thought deliberately throwing/knocking the ball deliberately into TiG, as with touch, is a PK, irrespective.

Second opinion somebody? :sad:
Stonewall PK; the OP is commenting that while he often sees it given, he's never seen a PT before.

Given that the offence may well happen in-goal (or out of desperation infield to prevent the attack taking the ball into in-goal), it is perhaps surprising that PT is not the most common outcome for this.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Sorry, Davet. Thanks, Dixie.

I should've thought. I stupidly interpreted your reply as, you can to prevent a try. :eek:

Davet

Post Likes
Ah - perhaps I was ambiguous, apologies if so.

I was answering the question which was along the lines of why isn't this given as a PT - to which the answer is it quite easily could be if it prevents a probable try, but that sometimes it is not quite as clearcut as may be supposed, - several players around, ball moving, proximity to going out anyway etc... Judgement call.

It may be that refs do bottle the decision sometimes...