best refs scorecard and yellow/red card book?

Norfolk_Ref

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Can anyone suggest a good ref scorecard book please? my old one has split in half and I'm looking at a getting a new one.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
my old one has split in half and I'm looking at a getting a new one.
If you have ny Scottish blood in you, duck (or Gaffer) tape will give you an extra two or three seasons with the same set.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Also, get two elastic bands and put them on each side of the wallet.

Never put the bands on the fold, they'll rip through the spine of the wallet, but on each side, spine and wallet last for ages. Electrical tape on the spine also helps prolong life as explained before.

Come back next week for more tips for the Scotsman.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Mine has lasted me nearly 20 years now :pepper::booty::pepper::clap:

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
Also, get two elastic bands and put them on each side of the wallet.

Never put the bands on the fold, they'll rip through the spine of the wallet, but on each side, spine and wallet last for ages. Electrical tape on the spine also helps prolong life as explained before.

Come back next week for more tips for the Scotsman.
I'm probably just thick, but what do the elastic bands accomplish?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm probably just thick, but what do the elastic bands accomplish?
They strap the USA Game Management Guidelines to the wallet, so you have a handy reference guide to which bits of law are not applied that side of the pond :tongue:.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
They strap the USA Game Management Guidelines to the wallet, so you have a handy reference guide to which bits of law are not applied that side of the pond :tongue:.
That made me smile. I like the GMG, it has lots of pretty pictures and arrows on it.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
That makes all kinds of sense. I currently use my other pocket.
There speaks a man who has clearly never stabbed himself in the leg or hand with a sharp pencil. :redface:

I find that 3 wide rubber bands work best. Space them out evenly, the pencil goes under the first and third, but over the middle band. Works a treat.

Last edited:

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
There speaks a man who has clearly never stabbed himself in the leg or hand with a sharp pencil. :redface:
I can honestly say that I have not. I usually keep 3 or 4 golf pencils in my pocket. I'm going to try the elastic band trick in the spring when we kick off again.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
I'm waiting for Womble to ask why we are carrying a pencil.:biggrin:

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
My pencil goes in my sock, which is held up by a garter ( of sorts ). As I have two sock and two garters, I have two pencils plus one in my wallet.

My pencil is one of a multitude from IKEA which I seem to have in abundance after my frequent trips.

I have a cheap wallet with red card and scorecard. Following a tip from here, I keep my yellow card in my right pocket and wallet in the left.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
My pencil goes in my sock, which is held up by a garter ( of sorts ). As I have two sock and two garters, I have two pencils plus one in my wallet.
Don't you find that a sort of "garter" (I think the butch term is "tie-ups") :biggrin: gives you cramp? Whenever I used to use something to keep my socks up, I got severe cramp more often than not.

... My pencil is one of a multitude from IKEA which I seem to have in abundance after my frequent trips.
I have always felt that IKEA have missed a trick by not selling packs of their pencils. I just don't feel comfortable "liberating" some, so I'd quite happily pay a couple of quid for a box, just to keep my conscience clear.

Alternatively, buy a couple of normal pencils and saw them in half. It only takes about 10 seconds. Neat job too.

Last edited:

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My ref wallet (a cheapo Kwikgoal) has a "pouch" that I put a pencil in.

For the cards, I was taught the opposite (_R_ed in the _R_ight pocket.)

As to the socks, I use electrical tape if they do not stay up.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For the cards, I was taught the opposite (_R_ed in the _R_ight pocket.)

That makes logical sense to me. But I rather keep the cards in the wallet to keep the player in suspense as they know theyre getting a card but not which one until I announce the colour at the same time I pull it from the wallet. Seems to shut up the gobby player if I pull the wallet to make a note. They seem to think they're in for a card? Go figure? :pepper: