Blackhawk Down

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Chopper experience, while entertaining on occasions, can and is becoming a little wearing; it is clear that the wise are tending to retreat from engagement. I am beginning to feel that his quest is not for knowledge but to see how many referees he can wind up at any particular moment.

I am reluctant to impose a ban on the individual however I would suggest that when anyone feels his current query has been answered, yea verily exhausted to the point of annoyance, the insertion of an innocent key word or phrase, perhaps any derivation of any of the words 'flogging a dead horse' or allusion thereto, would indicate to all that now is the time to stop responding to his current wind up.

Thus the penny may drop.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ah, deep, deep wisdom indeed.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Yea verily.

Following my little flameout yesterday - apologies, but it's been a loooong week - I got a PM from a respected member of the forum expressing sympathy.

In fairness, he does keep us on our toes. He's the guy in the bar who you have to talk to but then want to escape from after 10 minutes when you realize that the conversation is going round and round.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
To be absolutely fair - in the absense of a published, specific and unambiguous ruling from the iRB, his 5m tramline stuff does have a point.

We know they have said X - but it is not official in the public arena.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes Dave - in theory.

But who in reality is going to do it ? Whole coaching basis is to get ball away fast from point of entry to field and offer maximum number of options - so get the ball infield too.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Anyone of the opnion that Chopper isn't who he makes out to be?
Could he be someone in some position within the RFU, using the Chopper cover as a disguise?

....or have I been watching too much Spooks???? :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No, Wert the RFU 'monitor' uses a different 'nom de plume' ! He isn't 'Chopper'.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
i have for a long time decided not to provide oxygen to his flames...

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Did find it very odd day I went to Redruth for Cornwall v Oxfordshire with my wife's cousins that I couldn't find him, or anyone that knew him.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
To be absolutely fair - in the absense of a published, specific and unambiguous ruling from the iRB, his 5m tramline stuff does have a point.

We know they have said X - but it is not official in the public arena.

Dave, I have no problem with the points that he raises and might even be able to put up with his persistence in flogging the horse long after sound advice and opinion has been offered by any number of respectable gentlemen.

My objection is to his tendency to slag off all and sundry in quite strong terms when nobody either agrees with his narrow and intransigent viewpoint or feels like taking on what is probably a rather silly discussion going nowhere.

The fact that we discuss him here as an individual demonstrates his capacity as a wind up merchant. I think that we need to be conscious of his positive contributions yet know when to back away collectively from a pointless exchange.

David J.

Referees in America
Post Likes
There have been times when Chopper hasn't been responded to, and in those cases, he has become increasingly confrontational in his tone until someone breaks, usually with pent up antipathy.

I disagree with Chopper's anti-English and anti-referee comments and am surprised more threads haven't been closed as a result of his ad hominem attacks. I think attempting to ignore him is an answer that is not going to work.

Who has that kind of self-control?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
As someone who now stops reading threads once I see him repeat his smae arguement etc. How about: Three refs use the "codeword" and tehn teh thread gets locked for a few days....

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I don't think it is worth the bother of trying to engineer some plan. If he gets too irritating for you, then just ignore him.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think it is worth the bother of trying to engineer some plan. If he gets too irritating for you, then just ignore him.

Quite right OB but for those less worldly wise who might think themselves hung out to dry when usually reliable support is absent, a nod may help. How about one of these :Zip: indicating an individual bail out on the subject?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Perhaps the level and veracity of his rants are in direct proportion to the amount of red wine (or other such alcoholic liquor) pass his lips. :)

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I could always have a word when Im down there on Saturday! Although he may not want to talk to me come 4.30!!

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I could always have a word when Im down there on Saturday! Although he may not want to talk to me come 4.30!!

If you have time to meet him afterwards what with everything else happening, the mention of a possible meet on one of the forums to which he has access might elicit a response; beard him in his den as it were and let him see that referees are real people. Mind you ST tried that and the man was nowhere to be seen.

In one of his posts Chopper describes himself but that could have been a red herring to avoid detection.

Don't forget your passport; its a furrin country down there.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Pretty sure you can "ignore users" on this forum.

I skip past comments unless he includes at least 3 emoticons...

Seriously, you can scroll past him. Literally.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
If he's really just looking for an online fight, then he should relocate to www.forum.planet-rugby.com all he would need to do is post something along the lines of "The Haka Should Be Banned" and he'll have a 10 page thread withing 20 minutes.