Blank

jcas1403

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Has anybody on here ever drawn a blank. I have only refereed 2 games so far and think I have done OK... however... I did draw a blank on saturday... I study the rules quite a lot, but for some reason i drew a total blank on a very basic rule and clould not remember how to restart play... i was lucky that the players automatically set a scrum and one team passed ball to the oppositions scrum half and play continued...

It does worry me a little that this might happen again, I knew the rule, but for some reason my mind went blank...

has this happened to anybody else, and what did you do... my nightmare is players stirring at me asking me 'what next sir'

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Kick-off in my first game (as a club ref). The ball did not go 10m and I knew there was a choice, but .... what? I had to ask the players. :sad:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
unsuccessful maul end direct from restart. Who gets the feed? Use it or lose EXCEPT direct from a kick UNLESS the kick is a restart.

I always forget. :shrug:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
has this happened to anybody else, and what did you do... my nightmare is players stirring at me asking me 'what next sir'

My response: Fake it 'til you make it.

Other Notable Referees
article-0-056BA3A8000005DC-913_468x554.jpg
5259.2.jpg

Bryce: Sometimes I get Scared But then they "Talk to the Hand!"

85368.jpg
Wayne+Barnes+D9Lfv-iPnhFm.jpg

At First I get really Smarmy! Then they "Talk to the Hand!"

alan_lewis_2.jpg

"I like to stick my tongue at them and tell a joke to lighten the mood"

a276cb722280477c81f7f19dfc4d45a9.gif

"I just ask my 'Mo what it would do"

CDF_BE_Wales_V_Australia52.jpg

"Calm down fellas, I'm not a kiwi anymore, I dont choke at decision making!"

Boy I could do this for hours...

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
After 3 years of reffing I forgot what options you get at a coin toss.
Red captain won the toss and I asked what he wanted to do and he said "what are my choices" "errrrrmmmmmmmm kick or direction?" went blank for a full 2 seconds.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi jcas1403. It's terrifyingly common - and it doesn't necessarily stop as you get more experienced either! The thing is, as a new ref your brain is in overload during a game; way too much information requiring complex processing in way too short a time. My bugbear was always in-goal, where much of what happens is counter-intuitive. In my second game, we had a 5m defensive lineout on the left touchline, and the defending side won it, but decided to try to run it out instead of kicking it. Four passes later, we are still in in-goal and the righ winger is under extreme pressure. He just aboout manages to get a kick away - but it goes into touch-in-goal without ever clearing the goal line. How (and where) to restart? I gave a lineout to the attackers on the 5m line. :wtf:

On Sunday, some 7 or 8 years on, I was reffing a U.16 tournament. A scrum half pass from a midfield position about 15m out went over the head of the #10, who had to turn and retrieve the ball which had gone into in-goal. He was chased by several attackers, and tried to outrun them laterally. He was caught and bundled over the dead ball line about 3m from touch-in-goal. I knew it was an attacking scrum restart - but should I give it in line with where the ball entered in-goal, where the ball exited it (minimum 5m in), or 5m out and 15m in? (I know, I know - but the thing about going blank is the irrationality of it all!). I went with the attacking scrum 5m out and 5m in, in the sure and certain knowledge that anyone well enough versed in law to correct me if I was wrong, would alos be a ref who would sympathise with my blank moment. make a confident call and stick with it; just look it up later. I did, and was surprised to find that the law appears to be silent as to the lateral position of the 5m scrum in this latest case:

[LAWS]22.11 BALL DEAD IN IN-GOAL
(a) When the ball touches the touch-in-goal line or the dead ball line, or touches anything or anyone beyond those lines, the ball becomes dead. If the ball was played into in-goal by the attacking team, a drop-out shall be awarded to the defending team. If the ball was played into in-goal by the defending team, a 5-metre scrum shall be awarded and the attacking team throws in the ball.

(b) When a player carrying the ball touches the touch-in-goal line, the dead ball line, or touches the ground beyond those lines, the ball becomes dead. If the ball was carried into in-goal by the attacking team, a drop-out shall be awarded to the defending team. If the ball was carried into in-goal by the defending team, a 5-metre scrum shall be awarded and the attacking team throws in the ball.[/LAWS]

As regards my panic seven or more years ago, the scrum 5 should have been given in line with where the ball was kicked, and not (as I probably would still give) 5out and 5 in. To this day, I struggle to find the proper restart if, for example, a defender under pressure midfield close to his own line kicked laterally, but the ball went into touch-in-goal rather than touch. If an attacker had done it, we'd offer a scrum at the place of the kick; is that an option here? I'd expect a captain to ask me for that option, but I don't believe it can be given; we are back, I think, to the unsatisfactory 22.11 above, with its open array of lateral options. Where do you award the 5m scrum? in line with the kick, in line with where the ball entered in-goal, 15m in, or 5m in? Ansewrs on a postcard please, with the appropriate law reference.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I can remember blowing my whistle once at a ruck and in the instant I blew the whistle I forgot why I blew it. The ball was immediately playable and everything was fine. I just said "sorry fellas, my bad, we'll have a scrum".

Brain farts happen, just be confident and pretend you know what is going on. More than likely no-one will notice.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Last season I was reffing an U11s game. After a brilliant sniping run the ball carrier was half tackled but managed to stretch enough to get the ball on the line. "Impressive" I thought to myself, as I awarded the try ....... then I realised he hadn't got as far as the goal line and had just placed the ball on the 5m line.

"Ohhh hell. What the hell do I do now?" There was nothing for it, there was no point sticking to my guns so after about 5 seconds (it seemed a lot longer at the time) I just explained I'd confused the 2 lines and gave a scrum to the side in possession. Nobody complained.

My response: Fake it 'til you make it.

Other Notable Referees
article-0-056BA3A8000005DC-913_468x554.jpg

Bryce: Sometimes I get Scared But then they "Talk to the Hand!" .... Boy I could do this for hours...
You're a very very bad man Mr Bryan. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not so much a blank, more like rapid fire...

I distinctly remember a kick-off landing a couple of metres short of the 10 line, and whistling for options before giving anyone a chance to play it or allowing it to keep bouncing until it reached the 10m line...

"Oops, sorry guys, my mistake. Lets have another kick-off."

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I think there are 2 ways you can handle it:

1. Bluff it. Ignore any "advice", tell them that you've ruled what happens next and you can discuss it in the bar afterwards.

2. 'fess up. "Sorry guys, my error".

I much prefer the 2nd myself (not that it happens tooooooo often you understand) and you tend to get more respect for not bulsh1tting.

JMO.

Jabba

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Done the 5m line 'try' and again 'sorry my mistake lads' etc.

My best one was at a lineout, not straight and the ball is won and chucked down the backs. I immediately blow and say 'No advantage, what do you want?' and realised that when they said 'the try, sir' that the side about to score wasn't the side that threw it in! The skipper was brilliant - 'I think we will have a scrum please sir' with a smile on his face......:)

jcas1403

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Just want to say a big thank you to all who replied, has made me feel so much better.

ruareftrev91

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Similar to Jabba.

Had a line out, Blue threw the ball in not straight. I blew my whistle turned to the blue skipper and said "scrum or line?" . "scrum please sir" he replied. Despite the protests of red, I awarded the scrum to blue, Ooops!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Similar to Jabba.

Had a line out, Blue threw the ball in not straight. I blew my whistle turned to the blue skipper and said "scrum or line?" . "scrum please sir" he replied. Despite the protests of red, I awarded the scrum to blue, Ooops!

There you go - another reason not to have a scrum from a mark! :biggrin:

ruareftrev91

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
There you go - another reason not to have a scrum from a mark!

Sorry LLP, don't understand the relevance of your comment:confused:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sorry LLP, don't understand the relevance of your comment:confused:

Given that you advocate a scrum from a mark rather than a FK I thought it ironic that you awarded the scrum to the wrong side! It is of course a joke!:biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
jcas1403 - it happens now and again both on the pitch (help) when reffffing and as an assessor (but I can look it up in the book)

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had one a couple of weeks ago
Ball carrier tackled but tackler assist near the line has his shirt and tries to drag him into touch all one movement.
I shout play the ball and the tackled player duly released.
Skipper looks at me in disgust but we play on.
At next stoppage he says to me in earshot of a few players surely you can't do that he has to release him.

"You're right I f*cked up, sorry"
Wry smiles all round and after the game got credit from a number of players for admitting my mistake.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I had one a couple of weeks ago
Ball carrier tackled but tackler assist near the line has his shirt and tries to drag him into touch all one movement.
I shout play the ball and the tackled player duly released.
Skipper looks at me in disgust but we play on.
At next stoppage he says to me in earshot of a few players surely you can't do that he has to release him.

"You're right I f*cked up, sorry"
Wry smiles all round and after the game got credit from a number of players for admitting my mistake.

Sorry but what is wrong with trying to drag a player into touch whilst a tackle is being made? When the ball carrier has gone to ground I understand why you woulnd't allow anyone to drag him into touch, however when he is still falling it seems ok to me to let the tackler assist to try and get him into touch.