Bledisloe 3

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
How is it that the ABs drop the ball 12m from halfway every restart and yet the Wallabies still can't work out where the contest will be for the ball?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm really not liking CJ tolerance for NZ slowing down wallabies ball! NZ tacklers permitted to lie in the tackle and tackler assist not releasing. Frustrating to watch CJ tonight.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
59 minute mark and ABs have a 115kg forward sent to the bin. Can someone tell me who was the genius who thought it would be a good idea to use mini plastic chairs for this purpose? Got to find a pick. It is hilarious.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nic White - why the hell would you kick it away when you're in possession with just 2 mins to go? You gave NZ a chance and they took it.

Great game. At least Aust made a game of it.

Still not sure CJ was all that good tonight.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry. I have a drink every time McCaw offends. Feeling pretty drunk right now. Hic.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I wonder if they could hear me yelling through the TV to TAKE THE POINTS when we got that first kickable PK?
You just don't get easy points against the ABs so you have to take every opportunity to get points on the board.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What a match though!!

Two teams going at each other hammer and tongs. Wallabies had the better of all the stats except the one that actually counts. They'll be gutted becasue I thought they deserved to win tonight.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
ARU announcement coming up at press conference.
I thought it a little strange how long McKenzie hung off from entering the field after the final whistle. He looked like a man a little disinterested in getting to his team.
I wonder what the big announcement could be ? nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Ewen McKenzie resigned at 10 o'clock this morning

What odds on Michael Cheika?

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
"Player Power" strikes again!

And media experts?

Kurtley Beales prospects at the disciplinary hearing just took a dive. Bill Pulver is not happy to be losing McKenzie. Beale could feel the backlash.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Wallabies play in 2 weeks time and at the moment have no coach. Will be interesting to hear the warts and all of the situation when McKenzie writes his book. He did tell the press "I'll write a chapter about it in my book". I get the feeling he won't hold back.

One would feel that McKenzie would be looking to coach somewhere outside Australia in his next stint.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And media experts?

Probably a bit of both.

For some reason, player power appears to be more prevalent in Australia than here.
This is third Australian coach (two Wallaby one Super Rugby) that I have heard of that has been ousted by players.

The worse example was David Nucifra who was chucked out by the Brumbies players (led by Gregan IIRC) because they wanted Laurie Fisher.

Fisher got the job, and promptly turned the Brumbies from Nucifora's team of champs into a team of chumps

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Probably a bit of both.

For some reason, player power appears to be more prevalent in Australia than here.
This is third Australian coach (two Wallaby one Super Rugby) that I have heard of that has been ousted by players.

The worse example was David Nucifra who was chucked out by the Brumbies players (led by Gregan IIRC) because they wanted Laurie Fisher.

Fisher got the job, and promptly turned the Brumbies from Nucifora's team of champs into a team of chumps

I wonder what is going through the players minds ATM? McKenzie only told them after the game and just before the post match press conference.
Certainly takes the shine off AAC's 100th test experience.

I know there'll be plenty of Queenslanders hoping that the Reds cut Richard Graham and take McKenzie back but I think McKenzie will just want to get away for a while.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have a drink every time McCaw is penalised. Sober as a nun.

You had at least 2 tonight...of the 6 that he should have been pinged. 33% 'success' converted rate for CJ...which is better than the usual <10% from others. :biggrin:
Funny how offside and rolling away doesn't apply to black #7????

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wonder what is going through the players minds ATM? McKenzie only told them after the game and just before the post match press conference.
Certainly takes the shine off AAC's 100th test experience.

I know there'll be plenty of Queenslanders hoping that the Reds cut Richard Graham and take McKenzie back but I think McKenzie will just want to get away for a while.

Funny that he was so desperate to get the job....only to throw in the towel when it didn't go all his way. I thought he was getting it going in the right direction despite not having a good run with FR injuries and the small bumpy road in the last couple of weeks. I thought he was made of tougher stuff.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Funny that he was so desperate to get the job....only to throw in the towel when it didn't go all his way. I thought he was getting it going in the right direction despite not having a good run with FR injuries and the small bumpy road in the last couple of weeks. I thought he was made of tougher stuff.

If it was only the press I think he would have stuck it out. Pulver spoke about full support of the squad being questioned so whilst he could just disregard those outside the group, pretty hard to work with players who have lost confidence in you.
Only two choices in such an environment. Sack all of the players who aren't on the same page as the coach or the coach walks to keep the squad together. The irony there is will there be resentment between the players who supported McKenzie and those that didn't? The problems within the group may be no better as a result of McKenzie walking.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As Ian C said...senior players seem to control the deck of cards...nucifora, andy friend of brumbies in that list.

Maybe Pulver is dialling Jake White right now and seeing if he's interested. right in his alley this close to the RWC!