Bledisloe 3

Shane D

Post Likes
Phipps & Messam were having words after a breakdown, Hooper started pushing Messam & telling him to F off. Thats when Joubert suggested that he act like a captain & set the example for his players. Good management from CJ for mine.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
While on the topic of captains (and openside flankers), did you notice CJ telling Hooper at one stage to start acting like a captain? I assume he was incessantly whining at CJ. The art of captaincy is still at an early stage with that boy.

Rocky Elsom never learned the art at all. He only seemed interested in arguing with the referee and sayign what he wanted to say, while not listening. I reckon his poor captaincy was partially responsible for Drew Mitchell's RC a few years back.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rocky Elsom never learned the art at all. He only seemed interested in arguing with the referee and sayign what he wanted to say, while not listening.

Conrad Smith is the same. Whinge, whinge, whinge

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Matt Dawson

Nuff said!!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought that comment may get a few chuckles from :aus:

You guys really do have a fascination with McCaw don't you. He's a 7. He infringes. Show me one that doesn't.

You guys just get peed off that Mr Pocock and Mr Hooper didn't get an invisibility cloak when the toys were handed out. :pepper:

While on the topic of captains (and openside flankers), did you notice CJ telling Hooper at one stage to start acting like a captain? I assume he was incessantly whining at CJ. The art of captaincy is still at an early stage with that boy.

It was about Phipps and Messam going at each other. Did you hear Hooper's responce?
CJ "Do you want to start acting like a captain?"
MH "Do you want to start refereeing the breakdown?" Or something along those lines.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Drift;284021CJ "Do you want to start acting like a captain?" MH "Do you want to start refereeing the breakdown?" Or something along those lines.[/QUOTE said:
Really? He said that? That is completely out of order for any captain; he's got a 7 on his back, not a 9!

Hell, I would have marched him 10 metres for that sort of dissent, with a warning that more of the same would be having him sitting in a plastic chair for 10 minutes

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Really? He said that? That is completely out of order for any captain; he's got a 7 on his back, not a 9!

Hell, I would have marched him 10 metres for that sort of dissent, with a warning that more of the same would be having him sitting in a plastic chair for 10 minutes

And he'd come off as a real jobsworth if he did that. I'm not saying I condone Hoopers alleged response, but CJ wanted to be a smart ass to Hooper, with a comment to him like he's some sort of petulant little child that needs to be reminded how to act so what sort of a response did he expect to get?? (If it was true...not suggesting Drift is wrong...but sometimes the audio isn't somgreat over the telly). They're big boys now so if they want to tell each other where to go then let them...they don't need someone smacking their wrists.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Has anyone got a picture yet of the huge prop in the tiny plastic chair?

I really want to see if it's as bad as everyone is saying?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
'scuse me but after two days of holding it in.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

At least I was at a rugby dinner on the night and already well lubricated so I forgot the score for the rest of the night.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
'scuse me but after two days of holding it in.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

At least I was at a rugby dinner on the night and already well lubricated so I forgot the score for the rest of the night.

I share your pain

shep

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
First half, Wallabies on attack. Richie makes a very athletic steal, plucking the ball from Faiinga's arms while the Gold hooker was trying to offload from the ground after being tackled. He does go straight off his feet, but does it matter - he has the ball?

17:20 on the game clock on The Fat's link with a slow mo replay about 20 seconds later.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
And he'd come off as a real jobsworth if he did that. I'm not saying I condone Hoopers alleged response, but CJ wanted to be a smart ass to Hooper, with a comment to him like he's some sort of petulant little child that needs to be reminded how to act so what sort of a response did he expect to get?? (If it was true...not suggesting Drift is wrong...but sometimes the audio isn't somgreat over the telly). They're big boys now so if they want to tell each other where to go then let them...they don't need someone smacking their wrists.

Sounds to me like you are 'kind of' condoning it ...?!!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
First half, Wallabies on attack. Richie makes a very athletic steal, plucking the ball from Faiinga's arms while the Gold hooker was trying to offload from the ground after being tackled. He does go straight off his feet, but does it matter - he has the ball?

17:20 on the game clock on The Fat's link with a slow mo replay about 20 seconds later.

Hi Shep,
Welcome to the forum.

Agreed, it was very athletic.

IF we accept that a tackle had been made then potentially you could get RMc for one of these two offences
[LAWS] (a)
No player may prevent the tackled player from passing the ball[/LAWS]
Or
[LAWS] (f)
Any player who first gains possession of the ball must not go to the ground at the tackle or near to it unless tackled by an opposition player.[/LAWS]

But in general these type of offences are considered pedantic refereeing, instead a fast quick ball steal is seen as a great skill of which RMc demonstrated superbly.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And he'd come off as a real jobsworth if he did that.

Why? If Hooper did say that, then its dissent. Its tantamount to criticism of the referee, something that would get him a $10,000 fine and a suspension if he said it at the press conference.

I'm not saying I condone Hoopers alleged response, but CJ wanted to be a smart ass to Hooper, with a comment to him like he's some sort of petulant little child that needs to be reminded how to act

But Hooper's behaviour showed that he did need to be reminded how to act. CJ wasn't being a smartarse (its not his style anyway), he was reminding Hooper that he is the Captain of an international rugby team and that he needs to behave accordingly. IMO, Hooper is too young and too inexperienced to be an international captain. Can you imagine Richie McCaw or Jean deVilliers speaking like that to a referee?

so what sort of a response did he expect to get?

I would not behave like that as a Captain, but if I was, and I did, and if the referee said that to me. my response would be something like, "OK ref, Sorry"

They're big boys now so if they want to tell each other where to go then let them...they don't need someone smacking their wrists.

Quite the contrary. The Captain is the contact point between his team and the referee, He is responsible for the discipline of his team. He has to show restraint and be a calming influence on any hot-headed behaviour, not actually exacerbate a possible flashpoint by being a dickhead himself.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sounds to me like you are 'kind of' condoning it ...?!!
You possibly misunderstood. I meant I don't condone what Hooper allegedly said to CJ.
I had less of a problem of Hooper telling the NZ player to "please back off" cause he was getting in the face of Phipps (who probably deserved it). But there didn't look to be anything in it.

Why? If Hooper did say that, then its dissent. Its tantamount to criticism of the referee, something that would get him a $10,000 fine and a suspension if he said it at the press conference.

But Hooper's behaviour showed that he did need to be reminded how to act. CJ wasn't being a smartarse (its not his style anyway), he was reminding Hooper that he is the Captain of an international rugby team and that he needs to behave accordingly. IMO, Hooper is too young and too inexperienced to be an international captain. Can you imagine Richie McCaw or Jean deVilliers speaking like that to a referee?

I would not behave like that as a Captain, but if I was, and I did, and if the referee said that to me. my response would be something like, "OK ref, Sorry"

Quite the contrary. The Captain is the contact point between his team and the referee, He is responsible for the discipline of his team. He has to show restraint and be a calming influence on any hot-headed behaviour, not actually exacerbate a possible flashpoint by being a dickhead himself.

All I'm saying, as far as the evidence had shown all Hooper said to the player was to "f@ck off and get back on your side". It wasn't OT as far as I can tell. A lot worse has happened than that during the game without CJ stepping in and saying anything.
I don't see that as a need for CJ to step in and reprimand him with a condescending phrase about how he should do his job better. What should he expect if Hooper retorted about how CJ should then do his job better? I'm not condoning that, but what I'm saying if he then penalises or YC him for such a retort then that seems jobsworth. If you provoke a reaction and you get one, who's really to blame?
Ie
To me it comes across a bit like:
"Capt. do your job better!"
"why don't you?"
"Peep. You can't speak to me like that! You can have 10min sitting down to think about the way you speak to me"

IMO, so if CJ didn't want some lip back then he really should watch the phrase he delivers. We have to remember the referee is a game manager, not the boss who has the right to say whatever he likes. He still has to respect the players.
I think if CJ really thought the initial verbal fracas was a problem, then I think he would have been better to just ask Hooper if he and his troups could settle down.

I don't expect to be ever tell a captain 'do your job better', because I know it will get a reaction.