Brazil vs New Zealand

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've been in Newcastle for the last two+ weeks visiting my in-laws. My father-in-law picked up 4 tickets to see the game at St-James' Park. My son and I, my f-i-l and his grandson from the other side of his family all went. It was a really good time. No problems entering the stadium. They had a very good crowd, good atmosphere and a good time was had by all. In the 2nd half the ref gave a yc against a Brazilian player for diving in the box and trying to draw a penalty! Imagine that! The downside is that it was that player's 2nd yc so he got show a red too, and Brazil just sat back after that. They were already up 3-0 and went into energy conservation mode.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I've been in Newcastle for the last two+ weeks.

I am so, so very sorry.

Is there anything we can do to help?

Do you need counseling?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm staying up waiting for Ian_Cook's excuse! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm staying up waiting for Ian_Cook's excuse! :biggrin:

Excuse for what? Losing a wendyball match that I didn't even know was on? You have mistaken me for someone who actually gives a shit!!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Excuse for what? Losing a wendyball match that I didn't even know was on? You have mistaken me for someone who actually gives a shit!!

Stuff you're crap at - pretend it doesn't exist! Nice one!:biggrin:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Stuff you're crap at - pretend it doesn't exist! Nice one!:biggrin:

Nope. We're crap at Basketball too, but I really enjoy watching it. I have bought season tickets to the Nelson Giants home games for the last several seasons.

I just despise Wendyball. Its played mostly by a bunch of badly behaved, overpaid nancy boys who fall over at the slightest touch, then scream and roll around on the ground in faux agony to gain attention from others.

Most of them wouldn't last five minutes playing any kind of contact/collision sport.

This is the sort of crap that, if I ever saw a rugby player do, I would hope he would be banned for at least a year...

Last edited:

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I am so, so very sorry.

Is there anything we can do to help?

Do you need counseling?
Nah. I've been here often enough that I have the timing down pat. I know just how long I can last before I stop going places and start gaanin, before people stop talking to us and start talking to wuh and before I stop doing things and start deein them.
And I never drink Brown Ale. I stick out badly enough up here.

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How the hell did basketball become a Olympic event?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How the hell did basketball become a Olympic event?

I know it was a comparatively early entry into the Olympics maybe 1900, and became official in 1936 at Berlin.

Last edited:

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Basketball, tennis, golf and men's football shouldn't be I the Olympics in my view.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Basketball, tennis, golf and men's football shouldn't be I the Olympics in my view.

Toby, why not and what grounds would you suggest to decide if a sport should be an Olympic sport? (Not Saying I disagree, just interested in the debate)

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Toby, i'd go further and take out anything that can't be measured as stronger, higher or faster. so goodbye horse jumping, gymnastics, diving etc.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Toby, i'd go further and take out anything that can't be measured as stronger, higher or faster. so goodbye horse jumping, gymnastics, diving etc.

I thought horse jumping is measured as higher/faster, just seems a bit unfair to the horse that they have to carry a passenger :)

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ok, horse prancing then ;-)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Lets go the whole hog then, and remove any sport that wasn't an Olympic sport when it all began around 776 BC

And while we're at it, we should insist that the athletes wear the same uniforms as they did in the Ancient Olympics

6425a.jpg
olympic-games-statue-discus1.jpg

And equestrian sports were a foundation sport of the Ancient Olympics

Chariot Racing...

1991.08.0312.jpeg

There were two-horse and four-horse chariot races, with separate races for chariots drawn by yearlings. There was also cart racing where the carts were drawn by a pair of mules. The course was twelve laps around the stadium track (approx 14½ km)

Riding....

1991.08.0296.jpeg

The riders and horses raced over six laps of the Stadium (about 7 km). There were separate races for full-grown horses and yearlings...Jockeys rode bareback and without stirrups.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Ian

That looks lke Mark Todd riding on that urn ?

Last edited:

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I know it was a comparatively early entry into the Olympics maybe 1900, and became official in 1936 at Berlin.

yet rugby was a Olympic event in 1918, 1922 and 26 If I am correct. It would have been America's favorite past time if they did not take it away or there was better coverage of the events as they won the gold on 2 occasions. Then they made a rule who ever host the events can choose if rugby should be in it or not. Then everyone forgot about rugby and that option for over 80 years. Now they had to jump through hoops to get it back when its really not that difficult. Who ever host it can bring it back! Now they bringing in the 7 man game when this was the perfect opportunity for a mini WC with the British Lions as one of the teams! Why the 7 man game and not both 15 and 7? All the other sports have doubles and sigles fours and all that. Is it because USA are not one of the top nations in it like Beach Volleyball and others that got added so easily?

This is the USA team that won the rugby gold
1920USolympicteam.jpg

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think I am probably the ONLY rugby affiliated person in the world that doesn't want rugby in the olympics. Its not needed. If the rugby world cup and the annual world rugby sevens circuit isn't reaching out and interesting "new" nations then being in the olympics won't.

Ditto football (world cup every 4 years).

Caveats being the women's game - maybe.

TBH it would make more sense to host Rugby league if the global profile argument was bring used.

I appreciate that other sports also have world cups and global annual series -not the least athletics and cycling of course! I suppose the Olympics IS athletics though. I could see cycling being dumped under these rules, and certainly I am unsure of the validiity of the male road race. (And I am a latter day cycling fan the past 5 years or so).

Tennis? GOLF? Are they bloody mad? WHY??? GOLF FFS....

didds