Brian Moore's answer to the bogus cliams about the 'new' scrum laws and dangers

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Richard Cockerill ... “I am not bothered about crooked feeds,” he said. “You have a whole generation of hookers that have never hooked. It’s a pushing contest, not a hooking contest.” .... “These new engagement laws could just be the thin end of the wedge as we head towards a game where the scrum is simply a method for restarting play”

Isn't it depressing that someone in authority like Cockerill can think like that? :sad:

Personally I reckon the IRB deserve a pat on the back, especially if the talked about escalating sanctions are actually followed through in real life. If they are, I reckon the first few games will be a real eye-opener for a lot of FR players and SHs.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My head is spinning from all the nodding I was doing while reading it!

But well said Brian.

Every issue (that I can think of) covered, and every point of Cockerill's refuted.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Richard Cockerill ... “I am not bothered about crooked feeds,” he said. “You have a whole generation of hookers that have never hooked. It’s a pushing contest, not a hooking contest.” .... “These new engagement laws could just be the thin end of the wedge as we head towards a game where the scrum is simply a method for restarting play”

Isn't it depressing that someone in authority like Cockerill can think like that? :sad:

Personally I reckon the IRB deserve a pat on the back, especially if the talked about escalating sanctions are actually followed through in real life. If they are, I reckon the first few games will be a real eye-opener for some FR players and SHs.

Indeed - A sad reflection of the state the game got itself in. However I think that RC is being shot as the messenger - he simply is telling the truth. The scrum - wasn't a hooking contest.

I'm chuffed that it will becoming one again.

- Edit

Good article Brian - also enjoyed the 5live programme last night

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Which one was he on? I do like listening to him getting good and annoyed about something.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
also enjoyed the 5live programme last night

Toby. Do you know if 5Live have a "listen back" facility to listen to earlier programmes. I've looked on their website but can't find anything. Perhaps they call it something else.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think I'm listening to it now. Was it called "State of the Game" at 7:30 last night?

That's the one - it was a wide ranging preview of the season.

As an aside it shows the how low rugby is down the list in England. We get 1 90 minute show (and the odd 30 min show during the 6 nations). That's your lot.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Excellent stuff. Let's hope common sense and intelligent analysis knock out bullying bluster.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Even assuming Richard could have managed a meeting with the IRB in between disciplinary hearings, his contribution would have mirrored his further words.

Excellent article and the bit above gave me the biggest smile of the day.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That's the one - it was a wide ranging preview of the season.

As an aside it shows the how low rugby is down the list in England. We get 1 90 minute show (and the odd 30 min show during the 6 nations). That's your lot.

Just finished. Very good programme, with interesting comments from Nick Easter too.

bcm666

Brian Moore, Ex England International Hooker
Post Likes
You are the prophet of our times. (Is this your gourd?)

I particularly liked

Let's hope that you don't turn out to be a descendant of Cassandra!

Well it has felt like being Jonah at times and that is one of the maddening things. It isn't that people haven't wanted to listen but the allegation that I had some sort of agenda. To me to have one means it is for a desired outcome that will benefit. What have I to gain personally from this? I get paid to talk and write about rugby whether they have a scrum or not so where is my interest other than trying to give the game back one of its absolutely key components. I never expected any thanks but putting up this sort of lazy criticism has been difficult.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well thank you for continuing to put up with it, because I have seen a benefit so far in my few matches; scrums are contested, balls won against the head, laws adhered to (mostly) and resulting faster/cleaner scrums with only one penalty so far. Much obliged bcm!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
TBH i'm still not convinced this has been put in place for the game we're reffin? Let's face it, this was changed because of the problems "on the TV" and the feedback i've had so far from players (L9 - L6) has been "why are we doing this, there wasn't a problem"? And i agree with them!

Are we seeing the start of a "them and us"? :shrug:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
at grass roots there was no specific problem, but nevertheless this still might be a beneficial change as

- it reduces the high-impact hit, so makes scrums safer, anf front row more appealing to play in (we do seem to have a front row shortage at grass roots level, who knows - perhaps the hit was part of that)

- it brings back a role for the smaller hooker, who can hook, and the wily props who can prop. Rather than having a front row of giants, same as all the other forwards. So more of a game for all sizes again.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Are we seeing the start of a "them and us"? :shrug:
I think perhaps you missed the start of the "them and us" issue some little time ago. Was there a problem in the Community game that required the adoption of CTPE? Was there a problem in the Community game that required the change to CTS? Was there a problem in the Community game that required adjustments to avoid teams kicking away possession rather than dare to hold onto the ball? Was there a problem in the Community game relating to the use of the "field-wide trench defence" that needed a solution? Was there a problem in the Community game regarding crooked feeds? Was there a problem in the Community game regarding the use of the saddle roll? Was there a problem in the Comm... sorry, I don't have the time or the interest to carry this on.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Brian

I disagree. You do have an agenda. The agenda is to restore the scrummage to what it should be, and what it is in law. Own that and celebrate it. It's an agenda that almost everyone here would sign up for.

Agenda doesn't have to have a negative connotation all the time.