Briefing Supporters (parents) before a match?

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
As I was pondering in the shower just now and having posted in this section before about the joys of youth discipline & refereeing, it occurred to me that some of the difficulties encountered in discipline are not from the players but rather the spectators. It's a case in point that the RFU is very aware of so wondered if anyone has ever given a pre-match briefing to (coaches) spectators with regards to their "enthusiasm" on the side lines?

back to my shower...

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hullo,
I'm surprised not to find any mention in the RFU Rules and Regulations section. :chin:

The French Union's "Parent's charter" (FFR) sums it up nicely (in French) Source : Rugby Français > Ecoles de Rugby > Documentation It's given to all parents/coaches/blazers/Under-age players at the begining of the season. That way nobody can say they didn't know ; when they find themselves, their coach or even their Young Johnny being excluded from the club for unsatisfactory behaviour.

A quick reminder to the usual suspects before the game couldn't do any harm. In 5 years of underage rugby we had *few problems at the club. When we did it generally was the same people creating it / getting carried away.

*Wish the same could be said of the Junior/Senior sides coachs/supporters. :(

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Clubs can help simply by having a sign strategically positioned at the ground.

PLEASE REMEMBER
These are kids
Ths is a game
The coaches are volunteers
The referees are human
Parents should cheer for everyone
This is not professional rugby

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
As I was pondering in the shower just now and having posted in this section before about the joys of youth discipline & refereeing, it occurred to me that some of the difficulties encountered in discipline are not from the players but rather the spectators. It's a case in point that the RFU is very aware of so wondered if anyone has ever given a pre-match briefing to (coaches) spectators with regards to their "enthusiasm" on the side lines?

back to my shower...

No, but then IME most of them are sipping coffee and devouring bacon baps in the clubhouse until 3 mins after kick off !

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'm glad you asked Rich, because it has crossed my mind occasionally.

The most indisciplined game I have seen was brought about by screeching parents in an U15 cup game. The boys were already up for it from the off and the game simmered away, but eventually boiled over after some of the opposing parents started arguing and working the boys up to such a frenzy that a scrap was inevitable. Luckily I was just a TJ that day, but I've often wondered what I would have done if I had been in the middle.

TBH I reckoned the parents deserved more of a talking to than the kids. I wouldn't talk to them before a game, but I would talk to them in a break in play if it got out of hand. I have heard of a ref do exactly that on safety grounds.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry, but pre match brief to spectators is just impractical. They are not a captive audience.

So who is usually a captive audience at the brief; on the sideline during the game; and generally knows the spectators?
The coach and/or manager!
Make it their problem to manage.

We have a protocol in our parts where will will say to the coach at the brief something along the lines of 'can we agree that you and your spectators need to be respectful to me and the players? I expect you the keep your spectators to abide by the code of conduct. etc etc'. Usually this is met with an 'yes , of course' or ' my parents are pretty good and won't do that.'

I had a u16 school grudge game last season where I didn't remind the coach about the code at the brief. It was a tense and tight game throughout. As usual one side (away) didn't like the PKs against them so let me know. On one particular call it stepped over the line as the complaint echoed over the ground, but I didn't see which person it was, but strangely enough it came from the same area the coach was standing. I stopped the game. Separated the teams. I invited the coach to step infield to me (well away from crowd and players) where an amazing hush fell over the crowd, and I said to the coach ( his team was in front too) "if that was you, then it stops now ...'. 'It wasn't me!'...' And if it wasn't you then I expect you to deal with your spectators. Do we agree, otherwise this game stops?'
After that, not a peep of dissent from either side.

Basically, make the team officials responsible. I found most if them will take it on if you let them know that's what you expect.

When I was a team official I've taken on that responsibility and there's been too many times that I've had to tell my parents to stick a pipe in it! (Get them to walk away and count to 10 , or if they can't shut up then walk away and watch the game from the car park.) Catch it before the red mist sets in and it stops pretty quickly.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Clubs can help simply by having a sign strategically positioned at the ground.

PLEASE REMEMBER
These are kids
Ths is a game
The coaches are volunteers
The referees are human
Parents should cheer for everyone
This is not professional rugby

Something similar is posted in virtually every hockey arena my kids play in.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Briefing supporters is a great idea - if you want them to think you're a twat before you've even blown the whistle.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Ground Marshall's problem. I don't even consider doing a PMB to spectators.
If they get out of line during the game, it is a quick word with the GM and get on with the game. It is then his responsibility.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's difficult enough trying to keep an eye on 30 youngsters. Why would we also want to take on the responsibity for a group of one eyed, law ignorant parents.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
It's difficult enough trying to keep an eye on 30 youngsters. Why would we also want to take on the responsibity for a group of one eyed, law ignorant parents.
Because they can incite and wind-up the 30 youngsters (and it's invariably youngsters) into even worse behaviour? I accept it's very rare but I have seen it happen. I have no problem with one-eyed, law ignorant parents ..... as long as they don't frighten the horses.

A Pre Match Brief is a complete non-starter IMO, but I can see how a chat during the game may be appropriate if things start getting out of hand.

I reckon the average number of spectators at my matches is 20 - 30. Ground Marshalls? I've never seen one. What does one look like? Do they wear HiViz jackets and carry shiny clipboards?

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Hullo,
I'm surprised not to find any mention in the RFU Rules and Regulations section. :chin:

Because its not a regulation.

However googling rfu code of conduct gives me at the very first hit

http://www.rfu.com/thegame/~/media/files/2010/thegame/corevalues/code_of_rugby.ashx

My 2p-... its a club onus not the referee's. As a referee if there is too much touchline "comment" I understasnd from these forums the protocol is for you to get a club Representative to handle the parents/spectators. You may of course be a club representative yourself... but I think it would make sense to remove yourself from this aspect. Your responsibility as a ref should be to the players and the match you are all in.

didds

didds

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
Briefing supporters is a great idea - if you want them to think you're a twat before you've even blown the whistle.

Never been high on my list of things I worry about...But thanks for the useful insight.

I think that making it the responsibility of the coach is the best way forward and seems to work for me, as it firstly tempers the coach and then additionally creates a scenario where the coach can handle the over exuberant parents whom he knows and who might have previous form.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Ground Marshalls? I've never seen one. What does one look like? Do they wear HiViz jackets and carry shiny clipboards?

Here, the answer is yes - well the hi-viz vest anyway

If we don't have a Ground Marshall and an accredited AR from each team, then no game is happening

From the Comp Rules:

9.2 CLUB APPOINTED OFFICIALS
9.2.1 Ground Marshal(s)
(A) At all Matches both Teams / Clubs are to provide a Ground Marshal.
(B) If a Team / Club do not provide a Ground Marshal then the Team will be deemed to have forfeited the Match.
(C) The Ground Marshal for a Team may be anyone who isn’t the Coach or Trainer of the Team.
(D) The Ground Marshal must be identifiable by wearing the orange SJRU vest.
(E) The Ground Marshals are required to sign the Sign-on Sheet at the Completion of the Match.
(F) The Ground Marshal shall be responsible for spectator and crowd control and their instructions and / or directions shall be obeyed at all times.
(G) If there is a difference between the decision of the Home Team Ground Marshal and the decision of the Away Team Ground Marshal then the decision of the Home Team Ground Marshal shall prevail.
(H) The Ground Marshal of each Team shall introduce themselves to each other prior to the start of the Match.
(I) The Ground Marshals shall introduce themselves to the referee prior to the commencement of each Match and be responsible for rectifying any problems which are brought to their attention by the referee throughout the course of the Match.
(J) Each Ground Marshal shall be responsible for keeping the sin bin times for the players from their Team.
(K) The Ground Marshal provided by the Home Team shall ensure that the Away Team is made aware of the home ground changing, playing, medical, food and drink facilities available.
(L) Ground Marshals shall be responsible for:-
i. the supervision of the venue and all appointed officials; and
ii. maintenance of and patrolling of the Playing Enclosure including the Ground Marshals of both Teams doing a lap of the playing enclosure at approximately the ten (10) minute mark of the first half and at approximately the ten (10) minute mark of the second half; and
iii. preventing the illegal entry of any person onto the Playing Enclosure; and
iv. assisting the Match Officials, Team Officials and first aid personnel perform their respective duties; and
v. ensuring touch judges are not calling out or coaching the players; and
vi. ensuring Trainers are carrying out their duties correctly, including not calling out or coaching when inside the Playing Enclosure; and
Sydney Junior Rugby Union 2013 Competition Rules - Version 10 - Issued 26 April 2013 48
vii. managing the behaviour of participants within the Team Zone; and
viii. point of contact for all enquiries; and
ix. responsible for the control and behaviour of Team Affiliates and spectators and that they comply with the Code of Conduct; and
x. having access to the ARU Protocol for Serious Injury; and
xi. be familiar with and have available a copy of the ARU Safety Directives as a reference when seeking any clarification; and
xii. checking with the referee on the policy for attending injured players; and
xiii. report any irregularities or breaches of the Competition Rules that they are unable to resolve to the Competition Manager for further action; and
xiv. the implementation of this Competition Rule.
(M) Home Team Ground Marshal(s) are also responsible for:
i. set up and dress the ground in accordance with the Laws of Rugby and the Competition Rules; and
ii. having access to all necessary keys and passes to ensure emergency access can be obtained to any section of the venue; and
iii. having access to a telephone and emergency telephone list; and
iv. ensure that an appropriately stocked medical kit, ice and a stretcher are available; and
v. that the Club has an emergency list of contacts and addresses for:
a. two (2) after hours doctors or local medical centre and / or facilities; and
b. nearest public hospital and / or emergency facility; and
c. the local Police and Ambulance.
(N) Contravention of any of the Ground Marshal rules will bring a fine of one (1) penalty unit and / or loss of Competition points and any other fines or penalties as the Competition Manager may at its absolute discretion see fit to impose.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I had a u16 school grudge game last season where I didn't remind the coach about the code at the brief. It was a tense and tight game throughout. As usual one side (away) didn't like the PKs against them so let me know. On one particular call it stepped over the line as the complaint echoed over the ground, but I didn't see which person it was, but strangely enough it came from the same area the coach was standing. I stopped the game. Separated the teams. I invited the coach to step infield to me (well away from crowd and players) where an amazing hush fell over the crowd, and I said to the coach ( his team was in front too) "if that was you, then it stops now ...'. 'It wasn't me!'...' And if it wasn't you then I expect you to deal with your spectators. Do we agree, otherwise this game stops?'
After that, not a peep of dissent from either side.

No problem with any of this except...." Well away from crowd and players".

I would be more inclined to have my words with coach extra loud and well within earshot of the offending parents. That way I am not engaging directly with them but but am letting them know that I've had enough and any further will not be tolerated!

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am totally with Didds. It is the Coaches responsibility on behalf of his club, there is also often a team manager for kids teams. Only make it your responsibility if it is a real problem.

There is no reason why you - the ref - should know the Parents code of conduct any better than the coach. Club Officers should be very aware of the need to actively subdue parental side line mis-behaviour. Presence on the side lines, a polite introduction and a quiet word about club ethics normally works a dream and causes a rush of blood to the face.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am totally with Didds. It is the Coaches responsibility on behalf of his club, there is also often a team manager for kids teams. Only make it your responsibility if it is a real problem.

There is no reason why you - the ref - should know the Parents code of conduct any better than the coach. Club Officers should be very aware of the need to actively subdue parental side line mis-behaviour. Presence on the side lines, a polite introduction and a quiet word about club ethics normally works a dream and causes a rush of blood to the face.

but coaches who will do that, as a result, don't have troublesome parents.

in my experience parents follow the lead of the coach and troublesome parents often come with troublesome coaches who, far from acting to calm them down, is at the forefront of the problem.

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
but coaches who will do that, as a result, don't have troublesome parents.

in my experience parents follow the lead of the coach and troublesome parents often come with troublesome coaches who, far from acting to calm them down, is at the forefront of the problem.

couldn't agree more. I can almost lay a bet on when parents are going to be mouthy....by the style of the coach when I first meet them...

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref - sorry don't follow - coaches who will do what

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
davidgh - you were saying that it is the coach's job to impose order on misbehaving parents.

my point is that parents take the lead from the coach: in my experience whenever I had had parents misbehaving so much as to be an issue for me -- they are invariably led by a misbehaving coach - the coach is the problem not the remedy.

where a coach is prepared to enforce proper behaviour you won't even notice the parents.