Broken Arm

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm gutted. Saturday evening after rugby I was fielding a lacrosse ball for my son and managed to run into an immovable object 1 foot from the ground and go base over apex landing on both wrists. Classic example of how we teach kids not to go to ground when tackled. But would have been worth £250 of Harry Hill's money had we had a camera.

The shock waves went up both arms an into my elbows. I thought it was just bruising on Sunday but things got worse yesterday and a trip to A&E last night confirmed a break at the top of my right radius. I've got my arm immobilised in a sling and have an appointment back at the fracture clinic next week.

Anybody got any experience of how long I might be out of action for? Only got a school game this week but I have plenty of L9 league matches coming up.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
till the cast comes off. you cant go running around with that in place. ask them when they put it on.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I only have a foam sling and with an appointment made for 1 week I am quite optimistic.

Davet

Post Likes
OK - good luck.

I did something similar many years ago - fell over with outstretched arm and got a "Collis Fracture" which apparantly is a break running up along the bone, rather than across it - 6 weeks in plaster. Initially I just had a cast on the back of my wrist with an elastic bandage holding it place - but they then swapped that for a full hand to elbow job...

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Rugby training can pay off. Some years ago my wife and I were in DC to meet some friends at a restaurant. Having parked the car, we were walking along the sidewalk chatting when I suddenly tripped. Fortunately I managed a classic roll back to my feet.
"What on earth did you do that for"? my wife asked.
I looked back to see a 6 inch chunk of metal sticking out of the sidewalk. It had obviously once been part of the canopy for the door of the derelict building we were passing.

I probably should have sued somebody.

(Commiserations, by the way.)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rugby training can pay off. Some years ago my wife and I were in DC to meet some friends at a restaurant. Having parked the car, we were walking along the sidewalk chatting when I suddenly tripped. Fortunately I managed a classic roll back to my feet.
I looked back to see a 6 inch chunk of metal sticking out of the sidewalk. It had obviously once been part of the canopy for the door of the derelict building we were passing.

I probably should have sued somebody.

(Commiserations, by the way.)

Another million £ opportunity lost!!!

Davet

Post Likes

"You don't want be doing it like that - tuck your chin in properly - look: like this"

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would referee with a broken arm. Will hurt but will be ok.

Davet

Post Likes
Andy - its not you who we would worry about - its the poor sod that gets clouted by your cast as you fling out an arm to signal advantage.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I dont think modern casts are the same "pot" they used to be.
I dont even think they use plaster of paris anymore :chin:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Andy - its not you who we would worry about - its the poor sod that gets clouted by your cast as you fling out an arm to signal advantage.

No more than normal, chances are I would use the less hurty arm ;)

Davet

Post Likes
Though if you have one arm in a cast, and are holding the whistle with the other... I bet players would be as helpful as possible and keep chucking you the ball at intervals, just to watch the amazing one armed clutch.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
My men must have got lost on their travels! Bet they found an inn somewhere. Must check.

Davet

Post Likes
Ahh - getting into inns is easy - trick is, getting out.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I broke my right arm, an inch or so down from my shoulder. Because of where it was they could not plaster it. I was off work for 3 months and had physio for a further month. So do not put too much store by the lack of a plaster.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
"You don't want be doing it like that - tuck your chin in properly - look: like this"
Yes, my wife was indeed a qualified gym instructor for many years.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I dont even think they use plaster of paris anymore :chin:
That's the American influence - they got rid of it at the same time as French Fries. Now it's called Potomac Plaster.