C-T-S

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well in my 1st preseason game today, both level 7 teams.

Everyone hated CTS!!!!

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Andy, they just hated you for making them do it properly

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Nobody likes change. Give them a few weeks.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They'll not like any change that might prevent them, or hinder them in, getting away with the illegalities that they were getting away with last season.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
They hated no pause!! I had only 2 resets and non was on the engage!! On a flip side most of the supporters loved CTS

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The comment I have had is that set is a bit confusing. They think of
On your marks
Set

It will pass

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They hated no pause!! I had only 2 resets and non was on the engage!! On a flip side most of the supporters loved CTS

Just explain to them that the "pause" is non-vocal, and is the period of time between when you say "touch" and "Set"

The cadence is really very little different to the old "Crouch - Hold - Engage"

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Chatting to both sets of front rows after the match yesterday, All were in agreement that it would take time to get used to lvl 2 v lvl3 it was also sugested by the players that the cadence can't be consistant, crouch to touch yes but "the start gun" set had to be impossable to guess! interesting!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Chatting to both sets of front rows after the match yesterday, All were in agreement that it would take time to get used to lvl 2 v lvl3 it was also sugested by the players that the cadence can't be consistant, crouch to touch yes but "the start gun" set had to be impossable to guess! interesting!

The ref will still have to make sure the front rows are aligned and in a position to come together after the first 2 calls so the time may well vary between touch and set just as a matter of course.
I'm glad you guys get to iron the bugs out before we get to use the new laws down here. Some of the front rowers I've spoken to about the new scrum cadence seem happy that the pause will be gone so it is interesting to hear that some of the players over there didn't like the new calls.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Some of the front rowers I've spoken to about the new scrum cadence seem happy that the pause will be gone ....
There is still a pause between "Touch" and "Set". It's just that we don't pause, then say the word "Pause".

I just get the impression that some FRs think that just because the word "Pause" has been dropped, they don't have to pause any more.

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have to admit that in training on Thursday it seemed strange using CTS. But glad that I won't be going into it 'cold' next Saturday ;)

Boulder_Mark

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
"The 'set' call is not a command but an indication that the front rows may come together when ready"

Excuse my ignorance as a newbie, but I was asked a question by a playing friend, and I had been thinking the same. So as the ref I say set. From my little experience so far, the packs seem to treat this as the old school 'engage' command.

What happens when one pack stays still on the 'set' the other pushes forward to 'engage' and then collapses because the other team has remained still?

The team remaining still haven't committed an offence because the 'set' call was just an indication that the front rows 'may' come together? The wording sounds like an invitation not a command??

Anyone experienced something like this yet??

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
short answer is "no", BM... in reality both sides want the scrum to start asap so they do indeed engage on the "s" :)

But your question is valid - and would have been under CTPE bvecasue the bit about an invitation not a command was the same in the old law.

SHOULD what you postulate ever arise, I think the engaging side won;t actually fall on the floor as the 2 FRs will be close enough that they will indeed bridge the gap and engage with the stationary FR... who will now struggle to do anything mush as they are not in an extended scrummaging position. Which is why both FRs _WILL_ engage!

The law wording is a complete pile of dog-poo I would agree however.

didds

Boulder_Mark

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Thanks Didds. Kinda makes sense. Now you have said it. The FR's are looking for a big push or like you say they are going to go backwards otherwise. Like you say the wording isn't great!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Boulder_Mark:216807 said:
"The 'set' call is not a command but an indication that the front rows may come together when ready"

Excuse my ignorance as a newbie, but I was asked a question by a playing friend, and I had been thinking the same. So as the ref I say set. From my little experience so far, the packs seem to treat this as the old school 'engage' command.

What happens when one pack stays still on the 'set' the other pushes forward to 'engage' and then collapses because the other team has remained still?

The team remaining still haven't committed an offence because the 'set' call was just an indication that the front rows 'may' come together? The wording sounds like an invitation not a command??

The old engage was also an invitation, not a command (in the law book)

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel

Had it yesterday. They only did it twice and then realised it wasn't going to work so we resumed as normal.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
....Like you say the wording isn't great!
IMO the only reason the word "invitation" is even included is because the lawyers were consulted when the law was being written. Ie it's been put in purely to give Refs a sort of blanket "disclaimer" which they can try and rely on if the brown stuff hits the fan. And if it really is an invitation, why is there a sanction for not doing it?

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
IMO the only reason the word "invitation" is even included is because the lawyers were consulted when the law was being written. Ie it's been put in purely to give Refs a sort of blanket "disclaimer" which they can try and rely on if the brown stuff hits the fan. And if it really is an invitation, why is there a sanction for not doing it?

Agree