[Scrum] Calling 'use it' at a scrum

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Exactly my point. Theres a lot to do. BUT the scrum law tells players what will happen if they don't use it quickly. So as Phil says it is a management tool. One we should already be mindful of. Without a re-write.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Whilst I do agree that in a perfect world, such memos/directives would be quickly added to the book, the fact is that it is a world game with competitions played all year round. Therefore, some unions are going to be mucked around a bit by the timing of such inclusions. For example, WR will often issue directives/memos/clarifications in the lead up to the Northern Hemisphere season (let's say the Aviva Premiership for example) that just happens to be in the last weeks of our domestic season down under. Sometimes these memos say that the directive is to "Have immediate effect".
With all of that in mind, getting back to the one we are talking about here re "Use it" at scrums, maybe some of the blame for referees at our level not being aware of the directive, lies with the associations/societies and the referees themselves.
Our association has a monthly education/general meeting night. At these meetings I distribute hard copies of any such memos/directives/clarifications to all of our members who bother to come to the meeting. I email ALL of the educational material and/or presentations to all of our current members (includes all of the refs who couldn't make it to or couldn't be bothered to make it to the meeting).
If a memo or clarification is issued, that information is immediately emailed to all of our members and then followed up, as above, and discussed at length at the next meeting. I know that in NZ, some associations have weekly meetings that are actually well attended.
One of the problems I encounter, is that not everyone checks their emails daily or weekly. Last season I sent an email out with information re Dangerous Tackles to our 45 registered referees and asked that they send a simple response, such as "Thanks" or "Got it" to let me know they had received and opened the email. Over the next NINE days, I received 16 replies. Conclusion? 60% either don't check their emails or didn't give enough of a rat's arse to type a one word response.
To the referees here who were unaware of the scrum "Use it" directive, does your society Education Officer deliver such information to you either by email or meetings on a regular basis? Do you make an effort to attend meetings/education nights? Do you check the WR site on a regular basis for any new clarifications or directives?
And just out of interest (for my own personal information) how often do you check your emails or would it be better to get a text message from your society urging you to check your emails when there is info to be looked at?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why should it be? It is not mandatory, just an example of good communication. I can't find "Red 7, release", or ""Advantage Blue, penalty advantage" in the law book, yet such communication is widespread.

I guess it is a bit like helping teams manage their lineout numbers.

Some refs: good management tool to help a team avoid an offence
Other refs: their problem. Not my job to tell them how to play the game.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I guess it is a bit like helping teams manage their lineout numbers.

Some refs: good management tool to help a team avoid an offence
Other refs: their problem. Not my job to tell them how to play the game.
Too much talking = white noise; too litle = poor management.

I am looking for a sensible balance.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Conclusion? 60% either don't check their emails or didn't give enough of a rat's arse to type a one word response.

There is a third possibility... they've never bothered to update you with their changed email addresses that they do check... so you are in effect emailing a black hole.

That's not your fault of course!

didds

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
There is a third possibility... they've never bothered to update you with their changed email addresses that they do check... so you are in effect emailing a black hole.

That's not your fault of course!

didds

We know that their email address is current as at the start of each season. They have to put it on their rego form so that our secretary can update his contacts list. I suppose a few people could change email addresses during the season but 60% is about 30 people and I only have one email that bounces back as unable to be delivered.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
And just out of interest (for my own personal information) how often do you check your emails or would it be better to get a text message from your society urging you to check your emails when there is info to be looked at?

We use Whos the Ref, and that uses email to tell me I've been appointed - if I want to keep the game, I need to accept it pdq. I'm sad enough to have a smartphone that bleeps whenever I have a new email, across 3 email addresses I use for business & personally, so if I'm emailed something by my Society I have no excuse for not reading it. I also work in IT, where receiving emails asap is necessary; there are lots of other people whose jobs don't require this, so don't check as often/rarely. And I've noticed that younger people are migrating from email to texting or facebook. All three of my children (grown-up now) rarely use email.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And I've noticed that younger people are migrating from email to texting or facebook. All three of my children (grown-up now) rarely use email.

And you're behind the times already....facebook is out...if it's not 'snapchat' or 'Instagram' then it never happened as far as the younglings are concerned.

If we could just get our Australian appointment system to either send a text or snapchat then I'm sure we'd have better success with appointments being accepted by those under 21!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
And you're behind the times already....facebook is out...if it's not 'snapchat' or 'Instagram' then it never happened as far as the younglings are concerned.

If we could just get our Australian appointment system to either send a text or snapchat then I'm sure we'd have better success with appointments being accepted by those under 21!

My head hurts

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you have a smart phone then all these things are exactly the same, when a new one arrives your phone bleeps. You don't have to 'check' your email any more than you check your snapchat

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
If you have a smart phone then all these things are exactly the same, when a new one arrives your phone bleeps. You don't have to 'check' your email any more than you check your snapchat

My head hurts

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Smartphone? Hahahahaha. I don't get cellphone service, TV and even the mailman won't deliver.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Smartphone? Hahahahaha. I don't get cellphone service, TV and even the mailman won't deliver.

you need to love to a modern country :biggrin: