Can a player be offsides when they are not in the playing area?

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Well, 10.7 tells that playing the ball for a bit might actually put our in-touch friend onside

Fair, but only if we're willing to ignore that our friend purposefully went "offside", and didn't make an attempt to retreat, heh. Hard to not see them end up with a penalty, if we're treating them as offsides to begin with.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Fair, but only if we're willing to ignore that our friend purposefully went "offside", and didn't make an attempt to retreat, heh. Hard to not see them end up with a penalty, if we're treating them as offsides to begin with.
he/she only needs to retreat if within 10 metres of where the ball lands

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
at least one ref Ive seen in my life has penalised a player for being outside of touch and stepping back in field without gaining his permission to do so!

I've no idea of that is even backed up in law!
Law 3.8
3.8 If a player re-joins or a replacement joins the match without the referee’s permission and the referee believes the player did so to gain an advantage, the player is guilty of misconduct. Sanction: Penalty.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ta! I guess standing one foot outside touch at the kick off and coming ontop the pitch to catch said kick off (literally the kick off to begin the game)_ counts as this then!
which no other ref in 48 years of watching RU has ever seemed to consider (of course not every game in 48 years has seen this happen...)

didds

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I think it's 3.7 now, but good find. That actually would make everything I've asked about in this thread a moot point and be a PK on that player, for trying to gain an advantage. Thanks!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
You will have a hard time convincing me that leaving the field to chase a ball, and coming back on equates to "rejoins or joins a match".

I rather suspect that law is there to prevent bins from coming back early or replacements entering the game without permission, not for wingers who get a bit creative

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You will have a hard time convincing me that leaving the field to chase a ball, and coming back on equates to "rejoins or joins a match".

I rather suspect that law is there to prevent bins from coming back early or replacements entering the game without permission, not for wingers who get a bit creative
Skimming through the laws, references to leaving the playing area are all active rather than passive (eg when we have the front row shuffle after a suspension and the team selects a player to leave the playing area, or if I decide a player‘s had their bell rung I order them to leave).

I think this is the context and so running around an opponent and stepping into touch before rejoining (which England used effectively vs. SA) or other game related plays are not the target for this sanction. But even if actively sent off to remove a blood-soaked jersey, or for a card, etc. then that is when I’d expect this to kick in and then only if I think it gave an advantage.

Back to the OP, if they joined and because of play they’re in an offside position, I’d expect them to get back onside sharpish and without affecting play.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Back to the OP, if they joined and because of play they’re in an offside position, I’d expect them to get back onside sharpish and without affecting play.

Would they be offsides in my original scenario, if their teammate ran ahead to put them onsides (or any of the other normal actions that puts a player back onside), before they rejoined the playing area?

Would you peep them when they re-enter the playing area (as crossref said we should) or would you allow them back onto the playing area?

It seems like not peeping the player who's re-entering allows for a potential advantage when coordinated carefully.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would treat them as if they had stayed just inside the touchline the whole time, applying the Laws as appropriate, but would only penalise them if/when they enter the field of play.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Apologies for the epistle.
Would they be offsides in my original scenario, if their teammate ran ahead to put them onsides (or any of the other normal actions that puts a player back onside), before they rejoined the playing area?

Would you peep them when they re-enter the playing area (as crossref said we should) or would you allow them back onto the playing area?
I’d need to see it.

First thing is probably the easiest; are they offside? They may have no option to join in an offside position since the naughty corner and technical area (well, the pile of bags, jerseys, and water bottles by the coach) is often near the middle of the pitch. As long as they get themselves back onside without interfering with play, then all good and play on. Otherwise PK (under 10.4) for offside with mark being where I think they began to interfere, not necessarily where they joined the pitch.

It seems like not peeping the player who's re-entering allows for a potential advantage when coordinated carefully.
If they join in a way that I think is gaining an advantage then that’s also a PK (under 3.7).

So… back to the OP:
1. No, off the pitch not offside
2. No, still off the pitch.
3. If ahead of the kicker or other non-offside teammate then yes, offside. Would treat like a player getting physio attention and play has put them offside. Get back without interfering then all ok. Any interference and it’s a PK for offside.
4. Still in touch so not offside. But, if they then get in the way then it’s PK for interfering with an opponent when the ball is dead.
5. Same as 3. Unless a teammate has put them onside then yes, now offside once they re-enter but not an issue per se. I need to see them get back onside without delay, and without interfering. Otherwise PK for offside. If I suspect it’s a deliberate ploy for advantage then PK under 3.7.

That said, if another ref disagrees and thinks “yes” for points 1-3 then does it really matter? It is not an offense to be offside. It’s only an offense if they interfere with play while offside.