Can this result be overturned?

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
So there was a bit of controversy in the Ontario Women's College Championship. The game was tied at full time and as per the league regulations 1 x 10 minute overtime period was to be played. If no winner was determined after that it would go to penalty kicks.

Humber College went up in that 10 minute extra period. The ref then added a second 10 minute overtime period in which the Algonquin College then tied the game. Again with a tie game the ref ordered a third sudden death period. In that third period Algonquin scored and won the game.

What recourse does the losing team have to challenge the score? It's clear the ref did not follow or was unaware of the regulations regarding a tie. Is this the refs fault? Should their have been a league official on hand to handle these regulation issues?

Also if a game does go to penalty kicks is it typically from the center of the 22, then at the 15m line along the 22, then 5m etc ?

As a side note college in Canada is basically university level, unlike the UK where I believe college is what we typically call highschool.

See this link for the full story:

http://www.ocaa.com/sports/wrugby/2012-13/releases/11182012ocaagoldrecap

and here for the league regs:

http://www.ocaa.com/members/files/Rugby.pdf

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would think an appeal to the league would be worthwhile. A ref is normally well advised to know the regs, but it is not really his responsibility - the clubs should take responsibility for that. If I were a league official presented with incontrovertible evidence of the outcome under league regs, I'd expect that outcome to apply - even if the referee elected to play a friendly for 20 minutes after the conclusion of the league match.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have to say that having only one period of extra time is very rare! What if there was a huge advantage in playing one way, say high winds and driving rain or a sloping pitch? Usually there would be two periods of extra time, ten minutes each way or five minutes each way.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
The league regs are a bit on in that technically it is Women's rugby with full rules, except for the scrum which follows the U19 rules. Being college rugby the age range of the players is 18- 22 or so. The 10 min extra period would bring them to 90 minutes of rugby for that day.
Perhaps that's the reasoning in only doing 10 mins?

Also it gets quite cold here at this time of year(near freezing). So the players have been out there in tough conditions.

I reffed in two different 7s tournaments last month with both finals ending in a tie at the end of time. One final went to a 3rd 5 minute period where all 5 mins were played. The other went to a 5 min period of sudden death play.

I'm glad both avoided penalty kicks

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I would think an appeal to the league would be worthwhile. A ref is normally well advised to know the regs, but it is not really his responsibility - the clubs should take responsibility for that. If I were a league official presented with incontrovertible evidence of the outcome under league regs, I'd expect that outcome to apply - even if the referee elected to play a friendly for 20 minutes after the conclusion of the league match.

I was not present at the game, so I am unsure if a league official was present or not. I have to imagine someone from the league was present at the provincial final. But either way I can't imagine the ref unilaterally decided to play the three overtime periods without consulting and getting both teams to agree.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The 10 min extra period would bring them to 90 minutes of rugby for that day.
Perhaps that's the reasoning in only doing 10 mins?

Also it gets quite cold here at this time of year(near freezing). So the players have been out there in tough conditions.

I understand your comment but the extra time should be split into two halves. 10 minutes = 2 x 5 minute halves. As has been posted just one ET period could be grossly unfair.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
ATTR - we may think so but the regs are clear

All games played in the regular season and all play-off games will consist of two (2) 40-minute halves
with a ten (10) minute break period (as referenced in 3.3.1 (ii) Law 5: Time). In the case of overtime in
the playoffs, one (1) ten (10) minute overtime period will be used to determine the winner. If the game is
still tied, penalty kicks will be used to determine the winner of the game

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I did that championship match last year...I was amazed at the skill set of those women.

I know the referee that did the match and he's very good...he probably did what he thought was correct.

Last edited:

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Humber was unstoppable this year. The men's team won every season game with no less than 100 points scored in every game.

I reffed a Humber womens game and they were way ahead of the competion. They only allowed 3 points against the entire regular season.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Humber was unstoppable this year. The men's team won every season game with no less than 100 points scored in every game.

I reffed a Humber womens game and they were way ahead of the competion. They only allowed 3 points against the entire regular season.

So why didn't they put the oppo away in regular time? Did they choke on the big day? (Rhetorical q...:booty:)

Ps. With the evidence presented, I'd certainly appeal the result and let the league decide. The ref should have been aware of what to do if draw at FT. Pity it had to be decided in the stewards room, but that's what it's there for if someone has got it horribly wrong.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
The playoffs and finals are played against the top teams from the other provincial division (ie east vs west). Humber hadn't played Algonquin until the finals.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
crossref:225703 said:
Did the teams protest at the time?

I have no idea if they protested at the time. I wasn't present. But I can't imagine the ref added those extra periods without talking to and getting the teams to agree to the format.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Smart coaches carry the paper version of the regs with them.

"OK - time for the 2nd period of extra time, gents!"

"Er, excuse me, Sir but there is only ONE period permitted - could you read this, please! It is very clear, and we have won."

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have no idea if they protested at the time. I wasn't present. But I can't imagine the ref added those extra periods without talking to and getting the teams to agree to the format.

Smart coaches carry the paper version of the regs with them.

"OK - time for the 2nd period of extra time, gents!"

"Er, excuse me, Sir but there is only ONE period permitted - could you read this, please! It is very clear, and we have won."

I was thinking on the same lines - can it be that no one present actually knew what the regs were?

(if there was any disagreement it doesn't take long to google them)

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
I referee so many different competitions throughout the season, I struggle to keep all the varying rules and regulations apart. For instance, I am refereeing four matches this weekend - local schools' knock out cup, first team league, county colts' cup and a colts' league match.

In the event of a draw and I am unsure of the regs, I always call the two coaches together and force them to decide how we are to proceed and, hopefully, the result will stand. I have actually not had a losing coach appeal on the basis that the result was contrary to the regs., probably because he agreed to how the result was to be acheived and if this was contrary to the regs. then he should have known and made his views clear at the time.

NM

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I agree with NM, "Speak now or for ever hold your piece" : Coaches (and Captains) equally to blame for what is seen now as being the referee's blunder, and his alone.
Did the teams protest at the time?

[laws]UPDATE: An official protest of the game result has been made by Humber College. Once the OCAA appeal process is complete, an official ruling will be announced. Source : Ontario College's Athletic Association website [/laws](See OP for specific details - ie. - match report page.)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
what if the coaches don't agree?

the correct thing for a ref is probably then to call it a day and end the game (?)

perhaps that ref was faced with disagreement - and made a decision. That will inevitably lead to a subsequent appeal.