Captain chooses YC'd player

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I had just reffed the 2nd side game and agreed to stick around to TJ/AR the 1st side game. I wasn't officially appointed to the game, but seeing as I was going to stick around to watch at least the first half I volunteered to run touch on the far side of the field.

About 30 mins into the half at about centre field, Blue#12 has the ball and breaks the Red line. It's a race to the Red try line with two Red players giving chase and they both eventually tackle Blue #12 about 5m short of the try line. The tackle is high and there's a bit of an uproar from the Blue team and the Blue supporters. The ref was behind the play so didn't get a clear view of the incident other than to recognize there was a high tackle. By the time he arrives on scene the players on both teams are involved in a bit of shoving and handbags. Nothing serious but enough to obscure the players who were involved in the tackle.

I have insight into who committed the high tackle but the ref doesn't consult me. Instead he pulls the captains aside and says " I'm not awarding a penalty try because there was two players in the tackle. However there was a high tackle and someone needs to go off". He then ask Red(the defending team) captain to nominate a player to go off the field and serve the sin bin.

I thought this didn't sound right as Red captain picked one of his weaker players and had him serve the sin bin. From what I remember he wasn't even one of the players involved in the tackle.

Thoughts?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
...he pulls the captains aside and says " I'm not awarding a penalty try because there was two players in the tackle. However there was a high tackle and someone needs to go off". He then ask Red(the defending team) captain to nominate a player to go off the field and serve the sin bin.

Thoughts?

shatnerWTF.gif

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I can see the logic in not awarding a penalty try, as one of the players would have likely pulled him down. The high tackle just made it a dangerous certainty.

But having the Red captain nominate a player to serve the YC was odd to say the least.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I guess it's unorthodox...but you can see the logic. Perhaps another option available would be: "Mr Captain, there were two of your players involved, but Ive lost them in the melee. Bring me one of them over, or you'll get the Yellow Card for ungentlemanly conduct" ;-)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Bad luck ref.
Give the PK for the tackle and maybe a quick chat to the captain about discipline but the ship has sailed when it comes to the YC. If the ref or AR can't identify the correct player then too bad. Get to the gym.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Thoughts?

Its crap.

he didn't spot a single number while he was chasing after the pair? poor observation.

he knowingly dismissed a player that wasn't part of the double tackle? Cop out - and he has connived in having the piss taken out of himself, and the opposition.

Im sure red were still pleased they were against 14 men, but at the same time must have thinking "pillock ref here lads"

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I guess it's unorthodox...but you can see the logic. Perhaps another option available would be: "Mr Captain, there were two of your players involved, but Ive lost them in the melee. Bring me one of them over, or you'll get the Yellow Card for ungentlemanly conduct" ;-)

That's rubbish too.

What if the skip[per genuinely didn't know which players were involved?

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If he the offence had been worth a red card, what would he have put on the form?!

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I was an AR but not officially appointed so in reality I was a TJ. The other TJ was a spectator. Because of a shortage of officials sometimes 1st games don't get a team of three. As TJ I had a very good idea and could have identified the guilty party but the ref didn't even look to the sideline for my input.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Bad process & bad outcome.

Also, if the sacrificial lamb comes back on and cops another YC, then that's a RC with all that that entails.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It happened exactly as told. But to be honest the Red team was actually more maroon than red

Shrug, it just sounded like an urban myth story to me.

If a try is prevented by a high tackle then its a PT
If the ref didn't identify the culprit then he can't issue a YC

He doesn't sound like an experienced ref, how come he got the 1st XV game? :)

Anyway,

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
He doesn't sound like an experienced ref, how come he got the 1st XV game? :)

Anyway,

Without naming names, the ref was experienced. I just find that there is a bit of "flying by the seat of your pants" attitude to reffing in our society and while we obviously follow directives from RugbyCanada and WorldRugby, urban myths frequently creep into games.

In a semi-final game a very experienced ref pinged a team for "not letting the other player up" when in open play the player when to ground to collect a loose ball. This may or may not have been a national panel ref.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I was an AR but not officially appointed so in reality I was a TJ. The other TJ was a spectator. Because of a shortage of officials sometimes 1st games don't get a team of three. As TJ I had a very good idea and could have identified the guilty party but the ref didn't even look to the sideline for my input.

Nor should he. You were only a TJ!