Change strip for a referee?

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Happy New Year to you all!

Having collected my shiny new society kit (white shirt, blue shorts/socks) I was wondering what the acceptable standard is for a change shirt for referees, in the event of a clash with either/both teams.

I have been looking at Lovell rugby and have seen a couple of their own brand shirts (green with black trim, and yellow with black trim) for really good prices. The only "branding" as such is the "Lovell Rugby" name on the chest.

My question is would this be acceptable as a change shirt, or should I look elsewhere or be looking for something entirely different?

Many thanks for your comments!

SimplySimon

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Happy New Year to you all!

Having collected my shiny new society kit (white shirt, blue shorts/socks) I was wondering what the acceptable standard is for a change shirt for referees, in the event of a clash with either/both teams.

I have been looking at Lovell rugby and have seen a couple of their own brand shirts (green with black trim, and yellow with black trim) for really good prices. The only "branding" as such is the "Lovell Rugby" name on the chest.

My question is would this be acceptable as a change shirt, or should I look elsewhere or be looking for something entirely different?

Many thanks for your comments!

The only RN team that you'll clash with in white would be Sultan, in which case you need to speak nicely to our Kit-man who will provide you with a different colour shirt for a small sum. To be completely honest, if you were to join Hampshire Society too, they will offer you a shirt to get started in as well (maybe for a small fee, I don't remember, although I will find out for you). So long as the colours are different you shouldn't have too many snags.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Is this the RNRURS kit?

The first shirt for this season is pale blue. The white one is a second shirt only, as it has the wrong sponsor on. At least that's what I was given/told at the Society training day.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
when you first join a Society you have the one shirt, but quite quickly you will get a second (and third, fourth plus various Sevens Reffing shirts, and other stash as you go around the circuit).

Most people I know in that first season beg, borrow or steal a second shirt from an estanblished referee, or buy a cheap simple coloured change colour.

Discuss with your Society (are you in Pompey ?) before buying something else.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ovey, Berkshire provides three shirts, being Blue (the primary), Red (secondary) and Fluorescent Yellow. It's rare indeed for a clash to occur which requires that none of these be worn. Before we introduced the radioactive shirt, we encountered several teams in Red/Blue multicoloured shirts that required a change. On such occasions I have worn a white England shirt, and have seen others reffing in the ELRA shirt. I suspect that any sober solid colour with minimal advertising will suffice.

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Yes I'm in Pompey, Simon Thomas, I intend to join the Hants society at some stage soon but would like to get into the swing of things post-Christmas first.

Phil E, I must admit that I was a bit confused as I'd been told that the RN strip for this season was light blue shirts, but then got a white one (with the "Q" sponsor)........ maybe it's because I'm a new ref?

And SimplySimon, I seem to recall the last time I played against Sultan that they were in maroon, but maybe they've changed..... it was about 5 years ago!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Phil E, I must admit that I was a bit confused as I'd been told that the RN strip for this season was light blue shirts, but then got a white one (with the "Q" sponsor)........ maybe it's because I'm a new ref?

We all had to supply our sizes at the start of the season, so it may be that if you are new they just give you one of the white ones, which I understand they had a load of. Aparently the sponsor changed after they were printed, so we were all given one as a freebie.

I would suggest in that case, that you buy a plain shirt (manufacturers logo isn't a problem), bright yellow or orange should be safe from clashing with most things. If you did the ELRA course, did you get a shirt order form on completion? (you have to pay for it), that is a nice yellow shirt which does well.

As Simon said, over time you get to the stage where you have more referee shirts than ordinary shirts!!

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
No, I didn't get a shirt order form on completion of the ELRA course, I was just given the contact details for the kit man.

No worries though, I think I can stretch to a nice bright shirt from Lovell.

Maybe next season I'll be in a position to get that seasons shirt, and fully appreciate why I probably haven't this time around. Just as long as I don't get marked down by the assessor when I'm there in my shiny new (last seasons) kit, with polished whistle and boots for my first match! :)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Just as long as I don't get marked down by the assessor when I'm there in my shiny new (last seasons) kit, with polished whistle and boots for my first match! :)

you will go far ! white laces are no longer a requirment :biggrin:

just avoid long undershorts if refereeing in Hampshire :wink:

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
White laces?! Thought they'd have to be bright yellow to match the bright yellow top I'm about to order?! :wink:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yorkshire give each new ELRA recruit two shirts; orange and blue. They also get a pair of shorts and socks. Strangely though they don't give referees who transfer into Yorkshire from another society any free shirts.

So I refuse to buy the shirts at £29 a pop as I'm a poor student! I'll keep wearing my free Manchester shirts and the old shirt Yorkshire had lying around with the old sponsors.

The Manchester Brand is obviously much stronger than the Yorkshire Brand!

SimplySimon

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ovey, Sultan changed their kit this season to a mainly white shirt with maroon flashes, and maroon shorts and socks. Personally I blame the rugby league guy that they have as their PTI, although I do tell him regularly to learn union hence he is my assistant secretary to the League and Cup competitions in the Pompey area:wink:

Will sort you out with a spare shirt during the week. :clap:

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Ah right, I thought the change to their kit must have been recent. Although with your quip, is this a bad time to mention I'm from Hull originally and only played RL until I joined the navy, where RL wasn't even recognised at the time? :wink:

Looks like I'll be popping across to your office with the choccy biccys sometime this week then Si, thanks! :clap:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yorkshire give each new ELRA recruit two shirts; orange and blue. They also get a pair of shorts and socks. Strangely though they don't give referees who transfer into Yorkshire from another society any free shirts.

So I refuse to buy the shirts at £29 a pop as I'm a poor student! I'll keep wearing my free Manchester shirts and the old shirt Yorkshire had lying around with the old sponsors.

All down to each Society's finances, and often the generosity of a shirt sponsor.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
......and only played RL until I joined the navy, where RL wasn't even recognised at the time? :wink:

Damn right too, it's not like it's a proper sport :rolleyes:

AJCarter said:
Strangely though they don't give referees who transfer into Yorkshire from another society any free shirts.

They don't like incomers in Yorkshire. You will have to live there for 10 years, then you might get a pair of socks!

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Damn right too, it's not like it's a proper sport :rolleyes:

They don't like incomers in Yorkshire. You will have to live there for 10 years, then you might get a pair of socks!

I like it, fair one Phil. :biggrin:

And obviously the socks you get (loaned) would be white not red! :nono:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

AJ - I have got an old white (blue collar and cuffs) Yorks Refs Society shirt, with sewn on badge that you could have if desperate.

Swapped a few years ago at Jersey Vets 10s for a new green & navy blue, modern material, low collar, embroidered badge Hampshire Refs Society shirt. We were both somewhat filled with beer late afternon after the lunchtime Final I had reffed and he had #1 AR'd.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
And to get the full kit, you have to marry your sister like everyone else!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
AJ - I have got an old white (blue collar and cuffs) Yorks Refs Society shirt, with sewn on badge that you could have if desperate.

Thanks but I'm not that desperate! They do understand my situation and apparently their hands are tied by a chairman or someone? They seem relaxed about it though!

Although an offer to referee at any Sevens/Tens tournaments would be seized upon very quickly! I just need to find out when my exams are in May!