[Law] Charge down from kick from in goal & out side goal

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But they clearly do. sut as if you run the ball int othe opposition half Defence becomes attack.

It wourk that was because the side in their own half are DEFENDING their goal line. How simple does it need to be?

Anyway I'm out as this is going nowhere.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
RESTART KICKS FOLLOWING A TOUCH-DOWN (22-METRE DROP-OUT)

Apart from at a kick-off or restart kick, if the ball is played or taken into in-goal by an attacking player and is made dead by an opponent, play is restarted with a 22-metre drop-out.

All they had to say is “and the ball goes dead or is made dead by a defending player ........”

Marc, I feel your pain. It’s is to me, as it is to you, all pretty straight forward.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
RESTART KICKS FOLLOWING A TOUCH-DOWN (22-METRE DROP-OUT)

All they had to say is “and the ball goes dead or is made dead by a defending player ........”

Or indeed made dead by an attacking player (eg steps over DBL)

Plus they need to change the title of the Law as it's not only after a touchdown it applies , it's any type of made dead.

Let's face it the Law wording is a complete mess

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Or indeed made dead by an attacking player (eg steps over DBL)

Plus they need to change the title of the Law as it's not only after a touchdown it applies , it's any type of made dead.

Let's face it the Law wording is a complete mess

do you have a lot of time on your hands?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I have plenty of standards to write.
Fortunately they go through a complex series fo reviews, so if I miss something or something is not clear, there is time for other eyes to spot the problem and offer a solution before it gets finalised.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes

... except scoring a try, which is a fairly important distinction ;)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Scene 1
Defender takes ball back into his own in goal .
Kicks ball from in goal & an attacking player who is in field of play ( just out side goal line )Charges ball down & ball goes dead over dead ball line .
How would you restart game ..

Scene 2 .
Defender kicks ball , just out side his own goal line ( in field of play )
An attacking player charges ball down & ball goes dead over dead ball line .
How would you restart game ..
Scene 1. 22m Drop Out.
Scene 2. 22m Drop Out

The one which could catch us out is where the ball is passed back in in-goal, the defender tries to kick it out but an opponent also in-goal charges the ball down & ball goes dead over dead ball line. In that case I would give an attacking 5m scrum - because the ball was played back into in-goal and made dead. I have a couple of these every season.

UpandUnder

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
It's discussions like this put young refs off going to education meetings.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Its all a bit of a mess really (what a surprise).

21.4 for instance makes no reference whatsoever to who took the ball into in-goal.

[LAWS]4. When an attacking player holding the ball grounds the ball in in-goal and simultaneously
makes contact with the touch-in-goal line or the dead-ball line (or anywhere beyond
either), a 22-metre drop-out is awarded to the defending team.[/LAWS]

It's not inconceivable that a defender took the ball into in-goal and then lost possession to an attacker who rips the ball from him, which if made dead by the attacker should then be a 5m attacking scrum.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's discussions like this put young refs off going to education meetings.

In what way?
And what is your advice for a young ref, at a education meeting , who wants to know when to award a 5m scrum and when a DO , and can't make sense of the Law Book ?