Chris Robshaw on Who Want's to be a Millionaire?

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Found this picture doing the rounds on the internet, pretty much sums up the feeling I and everyone else in the pub was in at the time whilst watching the match!!

article-2239037-163B6E03000005DC-517_468x384.jpg

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Interestingly Woodward's main point after the match was that Robshaw took too long to make a decision. Kicking for touch is a low probability choice if you need 5 points. With 2:30 left it may be better to take three quickly and hope to get back into position for a drop goal after the restart.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
With 2:30 left it may be better to take three quickly and hope to get back into position for a drop goal after the restart.
He was being diplomatic. If you had a good chance of getting three points every 2.5 minutes, you'd be able to bank 96 points per game, while waiting for an opportunity to score a try.

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Apparently CR asked Nigel Owens if he could kindly stop the clock for them whilst they took the kick. Surely at that point he would have realised just how close a shave he was making the situation...

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Apparently CR asked Nigel Owens if he could kindly stop the clock for them whilst they took the kick. Surely at that point he would have realised just how close a shave he was making the situation...
On our sports news programme, it said that CR changed his mind after initially saying he wanted to kick for goal.

St Nigel correctly told him he couldn't.

21.5 (b) If the kicker indicates to the referee the intention to kick at goal, the kicker must kick at goal. Once the kicker has made the intention clear, there can be no change of the intention. The referee may enquire of the kicker as to the intention.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Correct decision. Lineout was a shambles and England would have taken another week to score a try. Farrell arguing, then drinking, and the slow arrival of the tea didn't help, plus Botha's shocking hands. Plenty of time - essentially it was unlimited - to gain another opportunity. The 96 points thing doesn't really wash as most times teams will be going for the try not another pop at goal - which could have been 40m+ for a drop goal or 50m for a penalty.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Apparently CR asked Nigel Owens if he could kindly stop the clock for them whilst they took the kick.

It's a pity jamo or crossref weren't reffing they'd have obliged! :biggrin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
He was being diplomatic. If you had a good chance of getting three points every 2.5 minutes, you'd be able to bank 96 points per game, while waiting for an opportunity to score a try.
The calculation is not whether it is a good chance, but whether it is better than the alternatives. In this case are you more likely to score a try from a lineout than to get into a position for a drop goal following a restart kick? Neither is high probabilty.

In the pre-match discussion they had pointed out that scoring a try from a lineout was around a 10% chance.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... In the pre-match discussion they had pointed out that scoring a try from a lineout was around a 10% chance.
Unless you put every player you've got in the line. 100% success rate with that so far this season. :biggrin:

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Unless you put every player you've got in the line. 100% success rate with that so far this season. :biggrin:

Regardless of the dismal performance of the Welsh side this Autumn (which being half Welsh has been quite painful to watch, even if I support England), that was a delight to watch! Wonder if it'll start appearing at lower levels now...

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Regardless of the dismal performance of the Welsh side this Autumn (which being half Welsh has been quite painful to watch, even if I support England), that was a delight to watch! Wonder if it'll start appearing at lower levels now...

With my local club, they do the exact opposite in 7s. On their throw, the only man in the LO is a second row who's 6'4 with long arms.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel

Allready does, been doing it for the last 15 years at least!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
With my local club, they do the exact opposite in 7s. On their throw, the only man in the LO is a second row who's 6'4 with long arms.

Interesting. And the local referees let you break the law like that do they?

Minimum of two players in the line required for a line out.
Law 19.8

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

Law 19.8
Come on PhilE, stop winding him up. You know the USA plows its own furrow!

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Law 19.8

The first I had heard of it was when I saw it in a game. For 15s, I know they practiced with two towers in the line-out.

Then again, I'd suppose 19.8 was added to prevent such potentially one-sided contests.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Correct decision. Lineout was a shambles and England would have taken another week to score a try. Farrell arguing, then drinking, and the slow arrival of the tea didn't help,

And that is spot on.

Allied to a less than solid lineout and the kick to touch was a dodgy call.

Whatever he called he was on a hiding to nothing.

didds