Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
"In our hospital we have 150 qualified nurses."
"We have less qualified nurses."

"In our hospital we have 150 qualified nurses"
"We have 100 less qualified nurses"

How many nurses do they have? Is it a bad hospital or a really bad hospital?

If the headline read "Hospital to operate with less qualified nurses", would that be helpful?

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
"In our hospital we have 150 qualified nurses"
"We have 100 less qualified nurses"

How many nurses do they have? Is it a bad hospital or a really bad hospital?

If the headline read "Hospital to operate with less qualified nurses", would that be helpful?
All good academic fun, but anyone who relies on the supposed distinction between "less" and "fewer" to get their meaning across is likely to fail.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
All good academic fun, but anyone who relies on the supposed distinction between "less" and "fewer" to get their meaning across is likely to fail.

few would do

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have less than $50 in my wallet

or

I have fewer than $50 in my wallet

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
http://www.grammarmudge.cityslide.com/articles/article/992333/8731.htm

Countability is of the essence, but 'For instance, money is countable, but the word money is not usually used as a countable noun – we do not say, "one money, two moneys (or monies)." Thus, we speak of "less money," not "fewer money." On the other hand, we do count "one penny or one dollar, two pennies or two dollars." Thus, the correct comparative term is fewer pennies or fewer dollars (but see the next paragraph).'

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
On a similar thread, I noted that dictionaries have started adding "figuratively" as one of the definitions of "literally", although, apparently, this has been going on for some time.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have less than $50 in my wallet

or

I have fewer than $50 in my wallet

If dollars only came in ones, fewer, but they don't so either. The dollar is both a unit and a cumulative amount.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the phrase "please respond to my question in a timely manner".

Is it OK to say "please respond to my question timely"?

I deal with some O/S people who don't speak English as a first language (Chinese).

They use "timely" in lieu of "in a timely maner". It sounds wrong but is quite efficient.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's ungrammatical but it's pretty obvious what it means.

I wonder why. We'd be OK with "run to the shop quickly". Is it because quick is an adjective but time is a noun?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I wonder why. We'd be OK with "run to the shop quickly". Is it because quick is an adjective but time is a noun?
I think it is because "timely" is an adjective, even though it has the form of an adverb. The adverbial form is the archaic "timelily", but it sounds odd so we use periphrasis instead. "Holy" is another example.

Non-native speakers do not have that same sensitivity, so their phraseology sounds odd and makes you stop and think.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
They use "timely" in lieu of "in a timely maner". It sounds wrong but is quite efficient.
I get this quite often from native speakers, and like you I don't like it because it sounds wrong. I'm not at all sure it is incorrect, however.

The Scots do this well, using the adjective Timeously, which sounds better than the Timelily that OB rightly derides as archaic. So they would say that they submitted their homework timeously - which is more elegant than "in a timely manner".

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I get this quite often from native speakers, and like you I don't like it because it sounds wrong. I'm not at all sure it is incorrect, however.

The Scots do this well, using the adjective Timeously, which sounds better than the Timelily that OB rightly derides as archaic. So they would say that they submitted their homework timeously - which is more elegant than "in a timely manner".

They submitted their homework on time..? Mebby?