Citing

Gracie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I see that Armitage has been cited for a high tackle. is it me or has there been a very low level of citing to date, but more than enough opportunity for this sanction to have been used. Of those to date the Lawes one appeared soft, the US captain incident I did not see and and the Armitage one I did not pick up whilst watching the game.

I like the citing sanction becuase it endeavours to ensure unseen cheating/foul play is censured, but to have so a low level of activity (and at least one soft call) when to my mind there has been plenty of opportunity seems curious, or is this another of those instances when entertainment supercedes the laws of the game?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I imagine the Armitage one was the one where Scotland was breaking out, and Armitage went high on Patterson. He was more or less upright in the tackle, and P's face made contact with the front of A's shoulder. More like a clash of upright bodies than a tackle.

You say there has been a lot of opportunity for further sanctions, but only mention the three that spring to mind as having been made. Bearing in mind that a player can only be cited for a potential red card offence, can you think of any potential RC's that have drawn neither a card nor a citing? I haven't seen many of the games between smaller nations, but of the games that I've seen, I can't think of anything that's been missed.

The Armitage citing, if it is the tackle I'm thinking of, is IMO unlikely to lead to a ban. It was a poorly executed tackle and it caused Patterson some real pain, but it looked more accidental than malicious. It would have been a very soft red, and indeed I was not surprised that no card was issued at all.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I think Armitage will have nothing to answer for, it was a high shot that would probably gained a Yellow Card at worst, and so should not receive a ban.

(And I'm Scots).