[In-goal] clarification please

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What I smile at, is that if the attacking team lose the ball forward, and it goes directly over the DB line / TiG without touching another player or the ground, surely a knock-on has not occurred in Law and therefore it will be a 22 DO?

If the attacking team put the ball (not a KO) across the TL by bouncing off the corner post, it is a 5m throw-in. If it crosses TiG just 10cm further on it is a 22DO. Is that too much of an advantage for such a small difference?

If the attacking team KO into or in In-Goal, they may have an opportunity to re-gather the ball before the defenders, or to touch-down, and thus only incur a 5m scrum. If they lose it by so much that the defenders can touch-down, then it ought to be a 22 DO.

But yes, I know what we are told to award, and I am a good boy ...

Well they say rugby is a game of inches! The laws back it up! :pepper:

Btw....your first point, by defintion is a knock on
.lost possession forward and not regather by same player is a knock on. But good try. :wink:

Now continue to be a good boy and be reasonable and do it their way not your way. :biggrin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
That's intriguing !

I'd love to know then .. what did the Law say in 1988 and what did it change to in 1989 ?
[LAWS]14 (3) Except where the ball is knocked on or thrown forward in the field of play or in in-goal [...]a drop out shall be awarded[/LAWS]The bit in red was new (and sidelined).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's interesting, but would be good to see the whole context .. I don't know if you could photo the page or something

When did that text in the 1989 Law Book get removed ?