Collapsing Rucks

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Legal? No

In at the side, and dangerous, minimum penalty, possibly yellow too, purely dependant on the angle I saw it from

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
lift, twist & drive onto noggin. Looking a bit reddish to me. Interesting to see if citing chappie picks it up.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At the National League game I watched this weekend a player was red carded for a very similar action at the breakdown.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Catchpole

"The following year he was selected as captain again for a two test series against the All Blacks. In the first of those Tests in 1968 he suffered a career-ending injury when Colin "Pinetree" Meads grabbed and wrenched Catchpole's leg while he was pinned under other players in a ruck, tearing his hamstring off the bone, and severely rupturing his groin muscles. He was aged twenty-eight and his rugby career was finished.[10]"

WoodyOne

Coach / Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
It is illegal under 15.16.b

I think that it's potentially illegal under 15.16b, but it's possible to execute legally.

Illegal when it's (e.g.) a lift with a twist and a collapse onto the ruck.

Legal when the lift destabilises the player enough that they can be driven back off the ball, especially if no one falls over, or they fall clear of the ruck. I know a couple of lads who are adept at doing this to help push the player back a metre, secure the ball, then they let things settle. No one falls over. This isn't lifting the foot way off the ground, just enough to lose traction.

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had to go back and listen to this pod cast.

As Brian Moore said at the end, I can see both POVs.

I have always thought that if you take another player to ground in a ruck but you do it way from the ball (so that the ruck could still be competed at by counter rucking for example) then play on. If you take someone to ground onto the ball then you must roll away.

The judo roll is coached so you roll a play away from the breakdown so I can see what NO is saying, however I think Ben Ryan was arguing a different point really. What he was tying to say is "should a judo roll be allowed because it is dangerous and severe joint injuries can occur"

I think BR is correct, you only have to look at Eng training camps when a number of high profile injuries have happened during judo sessions, I am very hypocritical though.

Having only just stopped playing at Level 6 as a #7 weighing only 13 stone there is sometime no other technique that effectively remove a player from the breakdown so I used to use it. I have been on the receiving end of it and have known my foot and knee were in a bad place, I have in the past felt the judo roll coming and have purposeful collapsed onto my knees and taken my hands off the ball, I have relinquished the turn over and the oppo have played the ball out of the ruck.

I think what Ben Ryan is getting at is that in his opinion, for safety, there should be a law directive to say "Judo Rolls are now illegal", rather than a change in law specifically just guidance that they should not be allowed.