Concussion tests

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The cynic in me wonders if this is a case where England fear the club might sue if anything went wrong, whereas if the club plays him, would he sue them?

However from a H&S point of view, it is good whatever the ulterior thinking.

OB, cynic or realist? ......... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24765650 If it were my decision alone, I'd make all tackles with shoulder above the armpit illegal, the intention to put some clear 'no-mans land' between there & the head/neck .

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had one today, bang to the head down for a few minutes then back to his feet in my opinion unsteady.player says he,s alright but I looked at physio and said I want him off. No arguments from physio and off he went. His team had already lost the game with five minutes to go. Made me think though if he and his team had insisted he was ok would I have had the balls to walk off and abandon it. I hope so. Has anyone actually done that?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Not done it. But threatened to Red Card a player for not going off for concussion (after they were knocked out, and refused to believe it!).

It took that threat to get them off (coach and physio were also on my side, and player eventually was taken to hospital for checks)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I had one today, bang to the head down for a few minutes then back to his feet in my opinion unsteady.player says he,s alright but I looked at physio and said I want him off. No arguments from physio and off he went. His team had already lost the game with five minutes to go. Made me think though if he and his team had insisted he was ok would I have had the balls to walk off and abandon it. I hope so. Has anyone actually done that?

Why would you need to abandon the game? If you decide the player should not be on the field, then off he goes. If he refuses, YC him for dissent. If he still refuses to go, give him a 2nd yellow. The other players shouldn't have to suffer because of one.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Subject came up on BBC Radio 4's broadcasting house this morning.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Why would you need to abandon the game? If you decide the player should not be on the field, then off he goes. If he refuses, YC him for dissent. If he still refuses to go, give him a 2nd yellow. The other players shouldn't have to suffer because of one.

Doh, of course you are correct The Fat. Maybe suffering myself as I got too close yesterday at one point and ended on my arse. Hopefully the club video caught it an i'll share it ater my £250 entry to you've been framed!!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Now you've made an injury into a disciplinary offence?

No-one will know if you were correct in getting the player off- everyone will know if you got it wrong and he collapsed later.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
As I understand it, we can decide if a player is unfit to play on

3.9 The referee’s power to stop an injured player from continuing

If the referee decides – with or without the advice of a doctor or other medically qualified person – that a player is so injured that the player should stop playing, the referee may order that player to leave the playing area. The referee may also order an injured player to leave the field in order to be medically examined.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I'd like to see a chart showing the number of concussions that BoD [or any other top older player] has suffered throughout his career.. My £ is that there are many more in the latter stages than the early years , hardly any brought on by his age.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hi Browner,
You'll not find those BOD stats floating around on the www : Medical secret, i'd say. "I fear for my son - he has suffered far too many concussions", says father of Irish legend Brian O'Driscoll.

Lots of ink has been spilled on the subject, yet are we any the wiser after all those articles : Concussion: how rugby union's rulers risk the lives of their players = Article tells us that Rugby players have gotten bigger during the professional era, increasing the risk of injury. Thanks a 6 year old could have told us the same, without ever having spent years studing journalism!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
These were the most interesting to me ................."I got concussed, came back and then got concussed again . I worked hard to get back, and tried everything, but it still wasn't right. Ultimately, it was too much of a risk at this stage of my career to try and play on"............ & "If I was 25 or 26, I'd 100% be trying to get back onto that pitch no matter what cost," ............. & "I'd love to help out because I wouldn't want to see any young lad going through the same thing when maybe they shouldn't be playing," :chin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
New RFU Headcase resources are here and the RFU are pushing this hard with a lot of extra material. They even request us to add a Headcase banner to our web sites - code here !

the match officials page is here and a useful PDF here

Thee is a useful Pocket CONCUSSION RECOGNITION TOOL™ here from BMJ (British Medical Association) as used by IRB, Olympics, FEI, FIFA and others.

Very clear reminder

Law 3.9: The referee's power to stop an injured player from continuing

If the referee decides – with or without the advice of a doctor or other medically qualified person – that a player is so injured that the player should stop playing, the referee may order that player to leave the playing area. The referee may also order an injured player to leave the field in order to be medically examined.

That is very clear to me - it is your decision as referee to make that player leave, whoever may try to persuade you that they can continue.

Full RFU release is attached

View attachment RFU New Concussion Management Standards and education initiatives.pdf

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
More words Simon, no action im afraid. Again at the weekend we had a situation where an Italian player had to leave the pitch with assistance, 10 mins later he was back on again. Now if a band saw operator got a blow to the head and fell to the ground, would you let him return to his job 10mins later? yet the authorities let this happen over and over again.

Simple for me, if a player needs help to leave the pitch after a blow to the head, then he doesnt come back on. Its simple really.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So what are IRFU and WRU doing about it ?

At least RFU are communicating and informing their whole game in England with a high profile campaign.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
That is very clear to me - it is your decision as referee to make that player leave, whoever may try to persuade you that they can continue.

Indeed its one of those situations you need to be strong, I have done it 3 times, just stick to your guns.
2 were definite head injuries, 1 was vomiting allegedly from to much alcohol the night before, I said I cant be certain of that, he goes off.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
New RFU Headcase resources are here and the RFU are pushing this hard with a lot of extra material. They even request us to add a Headcase banner to our web sites - code here !
Works for me. :clap:

Indeed its one of those situations you need to be strong, I have done it 3 times, just stick to your guns.
From my pretty limited experience you don't usually have to be that strong; on the 3 occasions I've had a groggy player this season, the coaches were happy to take him off. Not 1 tried to persuade me that he was OK to carry on. Perhaps the message is getting through.

Last edited: