Cory Jane, Touch no try

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why? Before you can say its a knock both conditions must be met first eg 1. Ball not cross the plane of touch
2. He must land inside the field of play.

you need to read the Laws Cavey !

no - a player can stand still, in touch, and knock an incoming ball back onto the field, providing it didn't cross the plane (that's the law I don't agree with, but that's the Law)

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
you need to read the Laws Cavey !

no - a player can stand still, in touch, and knock an incoming ball back onto the field, providing it didn't cross the plane (that's the law I don't agree with, but that's the Law)

How can a player in touch knock a balk back WITHOUT the ball going over the plane of touch? Why does he need to go knock it anywhere since the ball did not go out field of play?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
here it is for you - Law 19 defintions

[LAWS]A player in touch may kick or knock the ball, but not hold it, provided it has not crossed the plane of the touchline. The plane of the touchline is the vertical space rising immediately above the touchline.[/LAWS]
http://www.irblaws.com/EN/laws/5/19/169/during-the-match/touch-and-lineout/definitions/#clause_169

so you are standing in touch, the ball is in the field of play and in the air, and coming toward you.
provided it hasn't yet crossed the plane you are allowed to knock or kick it.

(aside - I think this is a terrible Law)

so with your feet in touch
- if you reach in to field of play and knock it back -- play on
- if you reach in field of play and catch it -- touch

after those two clear cut examples it gets more comp;licated, with other scenarios we often discuss (leaping, knocking on etc)

Last edited:

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
here it is for you - Law 19 defintions

[LAWS]A player in touch may kick or knock the ball, but not hold it, provided it has not crossed the plane of the touchline. The plane of the touchline is the vertical space rising immediately above the touchline.[/LAWS]
http://www.irblaws.com/EN/laws/5/19/169/during-the-match/touch-and-lineout/definitions/#clause_169

so you are standing in touch, the ball is in the field of play and in the air, and coming toward you.
provided it hasn't yet crossed the plane you are allowed to knock or kick it.

(aside - I think this is a terrible Law)

so with your feet in touch
- if you reach in to field of play and knock it back -- play on
- if you reach in field of play and catch it -- touch

after those two clear cut examples it gets more comp;licated, with other scenarios we often discuss (leaping, knocking on etc)

Yes I already stated that. Both conditions must be met before it can be deemed in. Its not complicated. With Jane only one condition was met which meant its out. That ain't confusing at all. Just have to break it up in two parts.