Dan Biggar blood injury

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Just wondered what people thought about the stoppage time to patch up Dan Biggar in Friday's game.
Not sure how long it took but for me he should have been Temporarily replaced to sort the blood out so the game could continue.
When he was patched up, he took a bung out of his nose and a hell of a lot of blood came out.

No problem with him being allowed to continue but for me he should have gone off for repairs.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I guess if the repair can take place on the field without any undue delay it is ok. Does seem odd though as you usually see them go off.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I guess if the repair can take place on the field without any undue delay it is ok.

For me similar to Ctrainor this took too long with everyone standing around waiting, easily took 3-5 minutes, I would of had him off as a blood sub or continue with him getting treated in back play.

Keep the game flowing unlike his nose and try and make up some of the theatrical time from before KO.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
5.4(a) should apply surely.

5.4 Time lost.
Time lost may be due to the following:
(a) Injury. The referee may stop play for not more than one minute so that an injured player can be treated, or for any other permitted delay. .... If a player is seriously injured and needs to be removed from the field of play, the referee has the discretion to allow the necessary time to have the injured player removed from the field-of-play.

The point is, that Biggar wasn't "seriously injured" so why allow so much extra time? Nobody here is going to be so anal to argue over a few seconds, but when it over runs by minutes, that changes things.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
wales cheating again.

A bit like the dump tackle on Biggar in about the 20th minute.
Except of course, Simon, there is no law against the dump tackle - if by that you mean boshing a player onto the flat of his back, as happened with Biggar. It was a close call - was he turned beyond horizontal? - but an accurate one, IMO, so there can be no suggestion of impropriety, let alone cheating.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Except of course, Simon, there is no law against the dump tackle - if by that you mean boshing a player onto the flat of his back, as happened with Biggar. It was a close call - was he turned beyond horizontal? - but an accurate one, IMO, so there can be no suggestion of impropriety, let alone cheating.

even he does land on his head, it's only an offence if he was lifted

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I would argue that his upper body came into contact with the ground first, pursuant to the law:
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.

I wasn't being altogether serious. It was more of a ridiculous answer to a ridiculous statement. That said, when I saw it live, my immediate reaction was that this could be interesting...[/FONT]