Dan Cole v Romain Poite

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
if it was deliberate, it really calls his judgement into question. absolutely no upside whatsoever, and very significant potential downside.

i'm with didds. twat.

(unless didds was calling John3822 names, in which case i'm out)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Looked deliberate to me
+1.

Was Cole penalised earlier perhaps? That doesn't justify it I know, but it may explain it. I had something similar last season when a player who had been penalised for coming in from the side a few minutes earlier "accidentally" smacked me in the back so hard that I had to stop the match while I got my breath back. I'm as convinced as I can be that it was deliberate.

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
That should be a long ban.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
He knows his England career is done. Now he is just being a bell end.

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had this 2 years ago. Knew who it was straight away and gave a yellow card. ON the basis of "I am my brother's keeper" very surprised that Poite didn't as well.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I had this 2 years ago. Knew who it was straight away and gave a yellow card. ON the basis of "I am my brother's keeper" very surprised that Poite didn't as well.
It's either red or nothing IMO.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I like how he took a sneaky look at the BC and then gave a small burst of speed at the BC (while a mile offside) to then accidentally hit Poite....you can almost see his hollow defence case.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
quite bizarre

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's either red or nothing IMO.
I agree it deserves a red, but the discipline committe is going to want to know what you have SEEN and he didn't. Reckon that a yellow makes the point and leave the clock ticking just after 10 minutes to further irritate him...

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree it deserves a red, but the discipline committe is going to want to know what you have SEEN and he didn't. Reckon that a yellow makes the point and leave the clock ticking just after 10 minutes to further irritate him...

there are 3 other officiials who will have seen the incident

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Does anyone think RP started to move backwards just as DC went to move "past" him?

At our last meeting we had a colleague brief us that he was convinced, at a certain club, he had been hit for a 2nd time this season - coincidence? It is a concern.

I always found if I was wearing my white Yorkshire shirt on a muddy day I would end up with loads of hand prints on back and occasionally front when doing fat wheezy lower teams who had the time to think up such japes.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

Thrse two comment have lost me completely sorry.

You agree it's a red but think it's a yellow. It's a red BECAUSE you are your brothers keeper. THe first thing Poite should have done is consult with his AR and TMO. Could have been done quickly whilst he composed himself.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Does anyone think RP started to move backwards just as DC went to move "past" him?

At our last meeting we had a colleague brief us that he was convinced, at a certain club, he had been hit for a 2nd time this season - coincidence? It is a concern.

I always found if I was wearing my white Yorkshire shirt on a muddy day I would end up with loads of hand prints on back and occasionally front when doing fat wheezy lower teams who had the time to think up such japes.

It looks like RP is having one step backwards at that moment yes.
BUT
Cole hits him with his right shoulder, meaning that if RP doesn't step back, Cole is aiming straight at him.

Not a defence case in my humble opinion: it definitely looks deliberate to me.

I can't seem to find out what RP did. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Cheers,
Pierre.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I don't think he did anything. The try was awarded and the game continued IIRC.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i am struggling to come up with any accidental reason why cole who is doing little more than walking for much of that footage manages to knock into RP with sufficient force to knock RP over. Cole turns/drops his shoulder into RP, and having made contact doesn't even look (ie surprise) at RP it seems, at all.

Looks pretty bang to rights for me.

didds

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thrse two comment have lost me completely sorry.

You agree it's a red but think it's a yellow. It's a red BECAUSE you are your brothers keeper. THe first thing Poite should have done is consult with his AR and TMO. Could have been done quickly whilst he composed himself.

Ok, let me explain.

Two different scenarios:

Professional Game - Red. There are enough eyes and TMO's and citing officers that despite RP not seeing Dan Cole knock into him can gauge what the intention was. No question, red, all day -:norc:

My level - Yellow (deserves a red but how do I justify it?)

The discipline report will make interesting reading as I could not see the player knock into me, therefore I cannot justify in front of a discipline panel what I saw (as I saw nothing). So, I would get him off with a yellow at least for 10 minutes.......