Dan Cole v Romain Poite

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
We're a bit off topic Didds but Taffy is aware what he did was wrong, but can any of us honestly say we haven't made a decision which had an element of emotion (and therefore possibly bias) in it?

In an ideal world we apply the laws fairly at all times to all people, but in reality the 9 that is p!@@ing You off is more likely to get pinged for something.

shrug... I was only explaining why some here may be somewhat interested in taffy's thought processes given recent revelations, when he clearly (and WDR to him) can't see there's a problem.

As for refs being human ... of course. But the one time I can recall a ref clearly being biased against a team in a match I was involved in my immediate thought wasn't "poor bugger, I understand" but "you total knob". And that was just over a kick to touch.

didds

Other's mileage may vary of course.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I can say with total honesty that I have never, and have never contemplated, given a decision I knew to be incorrect.

Is now the time to mention a course I did recently on 'Unconscious bias'? :biggrin:

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Is now the time to mention a course I did recently on 'Unconscious bias'? :biggrin:

You can give a correct decision that has unconscious bias - when you gauge advantage to be over is an obvious one, but there are lots of areas of the game where we use our judgement to apply law correctly. Agree we should never knowingly apply the law incorrectly.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
in this situation, would anyone expect the captain to offer up the identity of the culprit --- or to instruct the culprit to fess up?

You could always try "skipper, a word please and bring the player with you who [insert offence here]"