[In-goal] Defender driven back into his own in-goal grounds the ball..

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Firstly I am just starting out on my refereeing journey so please excuse lots of stupid questions!

I understand that a tackled defender moving back ftom the field of play using their momentum can immediately touch down in-goal and get a 22 drop out, whereas if the defender carries the ball in to in-goal and touches down it is a 5m scrum to the attacking side.

My question is provoked by something I saw in a junior game at the weekend a defender received a pass from a team mate and was quickly wrapped up by an attacking player around the waist and forced back about 3m into in-goal, remaining on his feet. The defender the touched down. My immediate though was carried in - 5m scrum, however a 22 was awarded. What does the panel think?

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I agree with your immediate through - if the defender was forced into their own in-goal whilst carying the ball and then grounds/makes-dead.... scrum 5 (attack).

However the regulations governing the youth game are generally pretty incomplete (being a page or 2 vs. the full law book) and sometimes have some odd anomalies. Randomly checking the U12s age-grade-regulation, this specific scenario isn't actually covered - at which point I default to the full laws, and adapt as best I can ... I'd still award scrum 5 (attack).

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I understand that a tackled defender moving back ftom the field of play using their momentum can immediately touch down in-goal and get a 22 drop out,

I don't understand what this means

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Ah - I skimmed that (a clear case of reading what you expected to see)...
I suspect it's a reference to

Law 8
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]2. A try is scored when an attacking player:
[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular] c. With the ball is tackled short of the goal line and the player’s momentum carries them in a continuous movement along the ground into the opponents’ in-goal, and the player is first to ground the ball.[/FONT][FONT=fs_blakeregular]
[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular] d. Is tackled near to the opponents’ goal line and the player immediately reaches out and grounds the ball.[/FONT]

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was thinking of 21.7:

If a tackled player has momentum that carries them into their own in-goal area, they can make a touch down.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Same law - different versions of the law-book ;)

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
They can make a touch down if driven back into their own in-goal. However, they've still brought the ball back in, so the correct restart is an attacking scrum 5, not a 22DO. This is also the case for a tackled player using their momentum to make a touch down.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Same law - different versions of the law-book ;)

I don't think so

Look carefully, isn't 21.7 completely new in the 2018 Book ..And what does it actually mean ?

It does sort of imply a 22m DO is given

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
No more than 21.6 or 21.8: it just says touch down. Laws 12 and 19 cover the restart.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Re-reading the law I think I misunderstood what touchdown means - I'd thought that meant the defender won a 22 but it doesnt actually say that - so the answer to my question looks like 5m scrum whether tackled in play close to the goal line and immediately toched down in-goal, or pushed back across on feet.

Im not totally clear though! :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's a new Law , introduced in 2018 , that means nothing at all ?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Firstly I am just starting out on my refereeing journey so please excuse lots of stupid questions!

I understand that a tackled defender moving back ftom the field of play using their momentum can immediately touch down in-goal and get a 22 drop out, whereas if the defender carries the ball in to in-goal and touches down it is a 5m scrum to the attacking side.

My question is provoked by something I saw in a junior game at the weekend a defender received a pass from a team mate and was quickly wrapped up by an attacking player around the waist and forced back about 3m into in-goal, remaining on his feet. The defender the touched down. My immediate though was carried in - 5m scrum, however a 22 was awarded. What does the panel think?

Defender
In
DeaD
Scrum

DIDDS

you are welcome ;-)

Didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
19.1 tells you where a scrum should take place.
[LAWS]
Infringement / stoppageLocation of scrumWho throws in
The ball is taken into in-goal by the defending team and made dead.In the scrum zone at the point closest to where the ball was made dead.The attacking team.

[/LAWS]
Law 21 says it is legal to make the touchdown and Law 9.1 says the result is an attacking 5m scrum.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It's a new Law , introduced in 2018 , that means nothing at all ?

My guess is

- the corresponding law for scoring a try was introduced to clarify that it didn't count as playing on the ground,
- it got interpreted as an *exception* that favoured the attacking team
- a clarification that the defending team may also use momentum plus a movement to make a touch down was added.

It doesn't make a difference to how I'd ref the situation, though.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My guess is

- the corresponding law for scoring a try was introduced to clarify that it didn't count as playing on the ground,
- it got interpreted as an *exception* that favoured the attacking team
- a clarification that the defending team may also use momentum plus a movement to make a touch down was added.

It doesn't make a difference to how I'd ref the situation, though.

That makes sense

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Re-reading the law I think I misunderstood what touchdown means - I'd thought that meant the defender won a 22 but it doesnt actually say that - so the answer to my question looks like 5m scrum whether tackled in play close to the goal line and immediately toched down in-goal, or pushed back across on feet.

Im not totally clear though! :)

If defending team put ball into in-goal (carry, pass, kick, knock, <insert verb of your choice>) then it is a 5 metre attacking scrum. Otherwise, 22 drop out.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The 2018 Laws really make a mess of this.

1. There is no definition of "touch down" outside of

[LAWS]21.6 A defending player grounding the ball in in-goal results in a touch down.[/LAWS]

2. Law 12 has this:

[LAWS]RESTART KICKS FOLLOWING A TOUCH-DOWN (22-METRE DROP-OUT)

11. Apart from at a kick-off or restart kick, if the ball is played or taken into in-goal by an
attacking player and is made dead by an opponent, play is restarted with a 22-metre
drop-out.
[/LAWS]

3. Law 21 then goes on to say:

[LAWS]21.7. If a tackled player has momentum that carries them into their own in-goal area, they can
make a touch down.

21.8. A tackled player near their own goal line may reach out and ground the ball in in-goal to
make a touch down, provided it is done immediately. Sanction: Penalty.*

21.9. If a defending player grounds the ball against a goal post or its surrounding padding, the
result is a touch down.
[/LAWS]

* For not playing the ball immediately, I assume.

4. The table in Law 19 Scrum that indicates where and who feeds based on infraction has this (5th panels down):

What: The ball is taken into in-goal by the defending team and made dead.

Where: In the scrum zone at the point closest to where the ball was made dead.

Who:The attacking team.

So, we all know what the outcome will be of taking the ball into your own goal and grounding it. Right? Does World Rugby?

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
So, we all know what the outcome will be of taking the ball into your own goal and grounding it. Right? Does World Rugby?

i believe the usual outcome is a penetance of s jug purchased after the gsme