Definition - Near to the ball

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
This phrase occurs a few times in the laws, most notably in 15.7(d):

[LAWS](d) Players on their feet must not charge or obstruct an opponent who is not near the ball.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

I notice that SAReferees say that the word near is defined by the laws as "within one metre" http://www.sareferees.com/laws/view/2829662/

I am unable to find this definition anywhere within the lawbook. Can anyone assist in locating this definition please.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Definitions in the front of the Law book says:

Near: Law 14 - Ball on the Ground - No Tackle. Within one metre.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes

Hmmm, I suspected there might be a definitions section in the front, but there isn't one in the online version that I use at the IRB site. Very annoying.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Very true. Just download the whole thing and you'll find the definitions there. You'll also have it to hand when the internet doesn't work (or is that just a problem where I live?).

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes

Hmmm, I suspected there might be a definitions section in the front, but there isn't one in the online version that I use at the IRB site. Very annoying.

I have pointed this out to the IRB and they replied stating it would be fixed in the next update. 2013 I presume.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I have pointed this out to the IRB and they replied stating it would be fixed in the next update. 2013 I presume.

It is a bit of a worry really, considering that most people who are vaguely interested about whether something they have seen is legal or not, will head straight to that site for an answer.