Disciplinary hearing

phillo

Referees in England
Post Likes
My only experience of a disciplinary was recently when I was asked to attend having sent a player off.

I couldn't make the journey and had to do it over the phone. Basically you're required to give your version as you described it in your report so make sure you've been through it and take a copy with you. They will go though the incidents as they happened and will call on the "accused" to give their version of the events and ask you about whether what you put in the report was accurate. They may ask you to elaborate on certain issues or respond to something the coach has said.

Stick to what you wrote and play it dead pan and without emotion just like on the pitch. My experience was that the defendant tried to pick holes in what I had done saying that I had seen something that didn't actually happen but he did end up getting a ban. Remember the disciplinary panel aren't trying to decide if you're making it up, there there to decide what should happen as a result of someone else's actions.

Hope this helps?

GeorgeR

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Presumably your Society discipline officer should be taking you through this?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Phillo's advice is excellent.

I've just re-read your RRF post which was written close to the event - this is a useful aide-memoire to just get your head back around the issues of the day.

In my experience, the panel will only ask themselves whether your initial report is accurate. If so, the offence is proven - with the Black coach's status as a ref quite possibly being an aggravating factor. I suspect the coach's ploy here is to either dispute your version of events, or to explain that he was on morphine for a hernia so was not fully in control of his actions. Only the former is likely to impact you.

If it comes down to whom to believe, you have the high ground as the referee, particularly having made the contemporaneous report, and having immediately notified the committee man of your experience. All you have to do is to come over as reliable, honest and calm. Remind yourself of the facts of the day, revisit your initial report and simply stick to what has been said in a quiet, no-nonsense sort of way. In no circumstances must you become strident and aggressive or argumentative if the coach lies through his teeth. Simply assert that the coach's recllection has been clouded by time.

A major point - do please talk to your disciplinary officer to find out if you "have" to attend this. My own Society has a policy of non-attendance at these - can you plead a prior or more pressing engagement? If you are required to attend, the coach has to pay your expenses if it's the same system as in England.

Scarlet Al

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Outcome: 4 weeks ban and 3 penalty points to the club (which are wiped at the end of the season.)

Pretty much got away with it seeing as his team have no games left I don't think.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Outcome: 4 weeks ban and 3 penalty points to the club (which are wiped at the end of the season.)

Pretty much got away with it seeing as his team have no games left I don't think.

A pity. A four match ban would have been more appropriate, and carried him into next season

Whatever else happened Al, he will be a marked man now. This kind of behaviour is seldom a "one-off", he is bound to have previous form, and if this is typical of his attitude in life, he won't be able to help himself next time he feels aggrieved.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
But is a 4 week ban not a 4 weeks playing ban in the season? Surely it doesn't apply in off season?

Otherwise what's the point?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
But is a 4 week ban not a 4 weeks playing ban in the season? Surely it doesn't apply in off season? Otherwise what's the point?
A token gesture perhaps? Must say, it does seem pointless. :(

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Methinks if it happens next time dont wait til after the game to address it. Get the :norc: out and show it to mouthy coach.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Play on, black "Try" held up, a player: "You must be f*cking blind ref." Yellow card. ... At scrums etc, the black coach was coming on the pitch shouting, "any chance of a word ref, any chance of a word?" I ignored this the first two / three times, then I told the coach that I would speak to him at half time if he so desired. Still mouthing away on the sideline constantly, and still asking me "for a word", this was obviously rubbing off on his players ... He also mentioned "the high penalty count" against Green and asked how long until a card, I told him that I'd ref the game as I saw it. ... During second half, black coach didn't stop mouthing, "Cheating ref, cheating us." "Don't worry boys, you're playing against 16." etc etc. 2 injuries and no one on the bench meant that Black had to drop to 13 players. ... Disgraceful, seriously wondering why I give up my Sunday mornings to get treated like dirt.
The next time we meet, I may ask you about this, as it sounds very similar to a coach in a game I TJd a couple of months ago, who was from your area. He called the ref every name going (and a few more I wasn't familiar with) but as he was mostly out of earshot, nothing happened. His side were hammered (in fact IIRC they had to borrow some players to even get a game) so even though he was loud the ref just laughed and said it was water off a ducks back. To be honest, the impression I got was that the coach in my game was a borderline Special Needs case. :( If it's the same one, I wonder whether that had a bearing.

Last edited:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've got one on Tuesday, I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

I'll share the details after the event.