Distraction

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Blue vs Red, where Red is the dominant team and is leading by 30 points 20 minutes into the game.

Blue kicks off after a try, long high ball. Blue flanker advances quickly on the Red player waiting to catch the ball, and just as he is about to catch, the Blue player yells" Drop it!". The Red player obliges.

Referee awards a penalty to Red at the location of the Blue player when he yelled, with hand signal similar to dissent.

Can someone explain this call in law?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
[LAWS]10.4 (m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship.

A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure.

Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That explains it, though it does seem harsh.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
A little bit harsh maybe.
But very stupid from Blue chaser: he would have had exactly the same result by yelling "my ball" and wouldn't have risked any PK...
My 2 cents,
Pierre.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
PK and a massive bollocking/YC.

There is no place for it in the game.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

& if he'd said " he's MINE ! " or "av him " with the same outcome , what do you do then ?

I'd be amazed if the Aussies didn't shout something ' immediately' prior to Jonny's kick ...... ( oooops, sorry for reminding xx ) .....perhaps they did?...

Oh no!! :)

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
& if he'd said " he's MINE ! " or "av him " with the same outcome , what do you do then ?

I'd be amazed if the Aussies didn't shout something ' immediately' prior to Jonny's kick ...... ( oooops, sorry for reminding xx ) .....perhaps they did?...

Oh no!! :)

Then that is ok.

Shouting drop it is just being stupid, if you want to do that, bugger off and play a different game.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Even soccer frowns on distracting shouts like "leave it!" or "my ball!" to someone who's about to go up for a header, and thinks it's a cautionable offence.

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

And yet opponents in a lineout are allowed to yell to disrupt line-out calls. Happens all the time, even at international level. No YC, no PK. My view is that such practices require the ref to call the captains and confirm a consistent policy prior to dishing out penalties or YCs.I am OK with 10.4(m) applying here, just think it's a very grey area. I am trying to imagine crowd reaction if something like this happened in a major game.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
And yet opponents in a lineout are allowed to yell to disrupt line-out calls.
I have seen it tried at local level, and it was always stopped by the referee. I don't recall it at international level.

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have seen it tried at local level, and it was always stopped by the referee. I don't recall it at international level.

Check last weeks Waratahs vs Crusaders game on Youtube. Happens every week in Shute Shield (Sydney 1st grade). It is extremely common in Australian and NZ rugby.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Check last weeks Waratahs vs Crusaders game on Youtube. Happens every week in Shute Shield (Sydney 1st grade). It is extremely common in Australian and NZ rugby.

Lack of culture and breeding is to blame for that!!!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What a pity.

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Lack of culture and breeding is to blame for that!!!

The ref or the players?

Craig Joubert was the ref of the S15 final. Didn't see any PKs or YCs for distraction in the line-out. Doubt will see any time soon. Will be watching to see if it happens in the 1st Bledisloe tomorrow night.

Last edited:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
There is a difference between professional players and sportsmen -I am one of the later in both ability and approach

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I don't allow it

I also don't like when at a penalty kick for touch the offending team start yelling "NOT OUT, NOT OUT !!"

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I also don't like when at a penalty kick for touch the offending team start yelling "NOT OUT, NOT OUT !!"

Im assuming this is a localised sledging practice, during my rugby lifetime I've never encountered the same.
When I do ...PK will follow, no asking or telling ...... zero tolerance on that unnecessary gamesmanship, simply has no place in the game.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Im assuming this is a localised sledging practice, during my rugby lifetime I've never encountered the same.
When I do ...PK will follow, no asking or telling ...... zero tolerance on that unnecessary gamesmanship, simply has no place in the game.

Not sure if its a league thing, but I see (hear) it in the majority of games here from around U14 up

When it happens in my games, first time I have a word, next I would penalise (but there has never been a next time)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
And yet opponents in a lineout are allowed to yell to disrupt line-out calls. Happens all the time, even at international level.

Not in my matches either the ones I have refereed or the ones I watch as a Match Observer.

Any silly shouting, dummy calls etc are quickly "discouraged".