Distraction

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Browner while I agree that contested restarts are key (and apologies in advance if I've missed something else you've said)

I feel that the side attacking needs to have some sort of inherent advantage in order to prevent the defending side from simply kicking the ball into touch 5m out from the opposition line whenever they feel threatened because they know it'll be a 50/50 chance of winning the ball back. I wouldn't kick for touch on a penalty as a player if I knew I'd gain 20-30m and have a 50/50 at the ball, I'd take the tap (although maybe that would be good for running rugby? even though, as I just said, that I reckon it would be a tactic to just kick for opposition corners to get that 50/50 chance...)

Sorry viper, I'm struggling to pick up your referee fairness/law point ?

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Trying to drown out the throwing teams called is just stupid, fine it might work once and then they will just sort out the call before they come into the lineout.

Its a gobshite tactic thought up by a brain dead player or coach, i dont allow it as its just noise for noise sake, if you allow it where do you draw the line ? You could end up with a lineout with players screaming at their opposite number with their eyes bulging and veins popping everywhere.

stupid tactic,ineffective and cheapens the game, warning at first instance then penalise.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon,
At a line out the Throwers team call Indigo 2-7-9-5-D-R as part of their suite of attacking lineout manouvers
At the same time their opposition call. Aqua 3-8-5-R-D-2 as part of their suite of defending lineout counter manouvers

Why shouldn't the defenders have the equal ability to counter-organise? If this distracts the catcher .... Then that's unlucky.
?

because if you allow this, then the throwers will simply have pre-throw huddle to communicate the call - so nothing is achieved except to waste time when we could be playing rugby.

plus if you let teams shouting at each disruptively every single restart then I reckon you'll see a lot fraying tempers and fights.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Lineout - ball is thrown , then contest for possession....... ( thrower unilaterally decides who to throw it at) .

You honestly think that will work?

Besides which - teams will just invent other ways of making these signals rather than verbal calls. back in the early 880s we were using a visual cue and used the verbal calls to just increase possible confusion for the oppo.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
This sounds more fun than pseudo ' gteed possession at the LO restart" which is the way the game is heading gradually .....

some teams are already there pretty much.

Even our U16s had a l/out win ratio last season of over 90% once I sorted them out! At one training session I got the forwards to devise their own 4 man lineout (with a couple of prompts). Then in practice they tried to defend their own 4 man lineout - quote of the evening from one of the defenders.. "This is impossible to defend against and I know where it is going!"

We are pretty much where aside from brilliant oppo defending jumping pods, only weather and a crap thrower starts to equal opportunities at the l/o.

didds

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Browner, "fair" doesn't mean "equal". I think you have a skewed view that tactical skill, expressed in communication, is somehow not part of the game.

I disagree.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
How dare teams make calls as to pre-planned backs strike moves. they should just run around throwing the ball willy nilly where they will?

Oh - wait... hold on...

didds

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
didds, no running! That would expose slower players to an "unfair" advantage.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
How dare teams make calls as to pre-planned backs strike moves. they should just run around throwing the ball willy nilly where they will?

Oh - wait... hold on...

didds

Thus spake Vern Cotter when he realized the magnitude of his task

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
When I started playing club rugby in 1964 I am pretty sure we used them then.

When I played college rugby, 10 years ago, we would make our call then yell out "ball in now", it wasn't till later that I realized how stupid that was.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I doubt it. I suspect he is just making waves for the fun of it.

Ahhhh. .like a tosser then? Hadn't considered that I-am-so-bored-I-will-be-a-twat approach. Though this place was better than Plant Rugby.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Oh - wait... hold on...

didds

specifying "restart contests" means your wit isnt on the money, nice try tho ..... :O

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I noticed in Bledisloe 2, first lineout Wallabies throw, the ABs were all yelling "Get it in, get it in" trying to milk a "wasting time" FK. As I said, this kind of tactic is common in the S Hemi.

Now there is nothing in the laws that specifically says they can't do it - except 10.4(m) - so for an international ref to warn players for this behaviour, there is going to be eyebrows raised and questions asked. ("Is the ref really calling the ABs cheats?"). And that's why it persists. And that's why the behaviour is copied by the juniors.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I noticed in Bledisloe 2, first lineout Wallabies throw, the ABs were all yelling "Get it in, get it in" trying to milk a "wasting time" FK. As I said, this kind of tactic is common in the S Hemi.

Now there is nothing in the laws that specifically says they can't do it - except 10.4(m) - so for an international ref to warn players for this behaviour, there is going to be eyebrows raised and questions asked. ("Is the ref really calling the ABs cheats?"). And that's why it persists. And that's why the behaviour is copied by the juniors.

I think you can say that yelling during lineouts is itself a time-wasting measure as it forces the throwing team to have a pre-lineout huddle to communicate the call.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

At lineouts Jim Hamilton of Scotland (and anyone else daft enough to employ him) expends most of his energy flapping his arms up and down and shouting "get it in, get it in" on his opponents' throws - so not just a SH phenomenon. Another piss poor example to young players.

I had it at one match 5 years ago (a Yorks 4 L10 match) - blew time off - told both sides to shut up and we got on with it.

Professional players acting like their dickhead roundball contemporaries.:mad:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
... they will just sort out the call before they come into the lineout.

I've never understood why this is not how it is done. Forwards trying to remember the calls - always dangerous relying on second rows remembering their date of birth let alone anything else.