does the lineout throw have to be in the air?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
whilst dicussing the other thread abnout windy days it reminded me of something - but I didnt want to derauil that thread.

Does a lineout throw HAVE to be in the air?
Does a lineout throw HAVE to pass the 5m line BEFORE hitting the ground?
I recalled a couple of minutes a ago something that happened in a game i was playing in a million years ago (well, maybe 25? :) )for whatever reason (oroibably getting hammered at lineout time!) our thrower rolled the ball all along the ground - straight! - instead of throwing it through the air.

AFAICR it didn't get pinged for anything - but possibly the ref was as surprised as the rest of us (because the "thrower" hadn't even thought to warn _US_ his own team!)

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
whilst dicussing the other thread abnout windy days it reminded me of something - but I didnt want to derauil that thread.

I recalled a couple of minutes a ago something that happened in a game i was playing in a million years ago (well, maybe 25? :) )for whatever reason (oroibably getting hammered at lineout time!) our thrower rolled the ball all along the ground - straight! - instead of throwing it through the air.

AFAICR it didn't get pinged for anything - but possibly the ref was as surprised as the rest of us (because the "thrower" hadn't even thought to warn _US_ his own team!)

didds
18.23.b:
"Reach the five-metre line before it hits the ground or is played"

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Yes and Yes, see Dickies answer above.
But it can be an underarm throw.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
cheers all - I had a sneaky suspcion by my WR laws searches didnt work well enopugh!

DOH!!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
But it can be an underarm throw.
Indeed and I cannot understand why this is not used more especially at age grade...however I'm glad it's not so that throwers gain experience to have more options as they grow into the game.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
When I was young and played on a kids team, we had a play to throw the ball underhanded in a way that was low enough to pass 5m before hitting the ground and then roll the rest of the way, but you can imagine how sloppy that was between the direction the ball chose to go and 12 or so youngsters diving into the channel to win ball. It was absolutely ridiculous to say the least.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I also always wondered what constitutes a throw in this context and where one draws the line.

Would the thrower serving it like a volleyball out of their hands (both ways actually, as a bump out of their other hand or an over the top spike like throw) be permissed? What level of silliness could a thrower get away with?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I also always wondered what constitutes a throw in this context and where one draws the line.

Would the thrower serving it like a volleyball out of their hands (both ways actually, as a bump out of their other hand or an over the top spike like throw) be permissed? What level of silliness could a thrower get away with?
I would allow it. Why not ?
I love inventive play. I love it when teams do anything surprising , something that throws the oppo (and, ahem, the ref) off balance

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I would allow it. Why not ?
I love inventive play. I love it when teams do anything surprising , something that throws the oppo (and, ahem, the ref) off balance
Heh, it would certainly be entertaining though hard to see how it would be any effective. At one point I was able to throw the ball more straight backwards over my head (of course I couldn't tell how far it'll go) than a normal forward throw.

Where would you draw the line though?...surely a "thrower" who kicks the ball into the lineout would be disallowed? I could see someone arguing the laws don't specify what constitutes a throw or how a throw is to be taken. But I think it's obvious that the keyword throw means to come from the hands. Thoughts?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Where would you draw the line though?...surely a "thrower" who kicks the ball into the lineout would be disallowed? I could see someone arguing the laws don't specify what constitutes a throw or how a throw is to be taken. But I think it's obvious that the keyword throw means to come from the hands. Thoughts?
a "throw forward" appears in the law Definition section and I would read that to exclude a kick forward.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Like this one - which lands just over the 5m line…
Heh I like that they realized their best odds at this is to run the minimum number of players in the lineout, and keep them spread so that the receiver can come in and scoop it up from the middle.