Drift's off season training

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This week I installed a home gym and will be getting into it for workouts about 5-6 times a week, I am really looking forward to it.

400205_10151065095175262_683515261_21995715_612072558_n.jpg

This morning was the first proper training in about 4-6 months, it was more about checking form and making sure I was loosened up and did 2 sets of this:

Front Squats: 40kg x 6
Alternating Lunges: 10kg dumbbells x 12
Back Squat: Bar x 25

Also thought up this decent finisher this morning and did it, it completely destroyed me though.
15 KB swings, 1 Burpee, 14 KB swings, 2 Burpees etc until you finish with 1 KB swing and 15 Burpees.
Tomorrow's session will be the following:
2 Sets of each REPS
1st group
Zotterman Curls 6
French Press 12
Hammer Curl 25

2nd group
Lying Tricep Extension 6
EZ Bar Upright Row 12
Bench Press - Supine 25

The finisher tomorrow will be the 100 burpee challenge. Done in the fastest possible time.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
you could burn off some calories cleaning all of the shit out of your shed

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That is clean!!! You couldn't see the floor in the past.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Looks like the way my wife cleans the shed! She's not allowed in it anymore!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I spy some Fat Gripz, awesome things:pepper:

Only one medium band?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yep, fat gripz are excellent things, really add to the workout. 3 bands in total, the green one is the widest one of them, and then 2 other smaller ones. 10kg medicine/slam ball as well. I am also getting some bars for my birthday tomorrow off my sisters so will be adding to it.

Robert please feel more than welcome to come over and clean my shed for me, I must warn you it's a 3 car garage with a workshop as well so there is a lot of stuff in there.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
DOOOD, you need to do these in the squat rack to get hoooge guns for the b!tches:

3e517-tony_curl_in_squat_rack.jpg

I'm hoping you have bumper plates on this gym so you dont smash the concrete in your floor if you drop the weights.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
just off camera is me about to stove your head in for curling in the squat rack:horse:

I used to train with a rather large and strong powerlifter back in Leeds and it was our squat day. Turn up to the gym and there are two noobs doing curls in the rack. Politely ask them to do them elsewhere but they refuse! Large friend proceeds to start squatting in the rack with them in there, was very funny to see them run away when they realised he was serious.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
"A squat rack"!

So many jokes; so little time.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Yep, fat gripz are excellent things, really add to the workout. 3 bands in total, the green one is the widest one of them, and then 2 other smaller ones. 10kg medicine/slam ball as well. I am also getting some bars for my birthday tomorrow off my sisters so will be adding to it.
If possible, get a slam ball that is, well, slam-specific, and up the weight. A 10 kg med ball will get ripped to shreds, whereas a 20 kg slam ball is better suited (you can throw med balls against the wall for > 100 of reps in a workout; slamballs, not so much in a slamball exercise routine).

"A squat rack"! So many jokes; so little time.

Not when you compare it to snatch grip, power snatch, clean and jerk, split jerk, push jerk, and heavy snatches. Throw in box jumps, and it's like comparing an electric guitar to a ukulele.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not when you compare it to snatch grip, power snatch, clean and jerk, split jerk, push jerk, and heavy snatches. Throw in box jumps, and it's like comparing an electric guitar to a ukulele.

There seem to be a lot of Jerks in your sport :biggrin:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
There seem to be a lot of Jerks in your sport :biggrin:
Probably, but some of the snatches are a sight to behold!

Oh, and for me, it's not a sport. It's part of training. To quote the awesome Kenny Powers: "I do SPORTS. Not try to be the best at exercising."

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If possible, get a slam ball that is, well, slam-specific, and up the weight. A 10 kg med ball will get ripped to shreds, whereas a 20 kg slam ball is better suited (you can throw med balls against the wall for > 100 of reps in a workout; slamballs, not so much in a slamball exercise routine).
Cheers for the advice, I will head down to the gym store near my work to try and find one.

DOOOD, you need to do these in the squat rack to get hoooge guns for the b!tches:

3e517-tony_curl_in_squat_rack.jpg

I'm hoping you have bumper plates on this gym so you dont smash the concrete in your floor if you drop the weights.

Bumpers are the next purchase, just got rubber coated olympic plates at the moment.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Have a look here for some info (these fellas are in Melbourne) and price ranges; looks like they dont have a 20 kg slam-ball available, but it might be worth sucking it up and using a 23 kg slam ball, OR, I'm sure there are youtube videos of making your own with a crappy basketball, a lot of sand, and some good quality adhesives. It's a home gym, so be creative and go olde skooL!

Their bumper-plates look reasonably priced for your neck of the world, but it's worth getting a cheap set of plates and high quality bar than vice versa. Throw in a kettle bell, a box to jump on, a speed ladder and jump rope, and you'll be able to go rounds with the best of them!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd make it from a 50lb back of sand ($3 at home depot). A roll of Duck Tape ($3-4) and you now have a slam implement of approximately 23Kg.

Gym's looking good drift, get some more bands in and you're opening up a world of fun training!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Have a look here for some info (these fellas are in Melbourne) and price ranges; looks like they dont have a 20 kg slam-ball available, but it might be worth sucking it up and using a 23 kg slam ball, OR, I'm sure there are youtube videos of making your own with a crappy basketball, a lot of sand, and some good quality adhesives. It's a home gym, so be creative and go olde skooL!

Their bumper-plates look reasonably priced for your neck of the world, but it's worth getting a cheap set of plates and high quality bar than vice versa. Throw in a kettle bell, a box to jump on, a speed ladder and jump rope, and you'll be able to go rounds with the best of them!

I've got some KBs from them and their showroom is 10 minutes from my office. Great guys in there and they generally look after you if you buy in bulk so I will definitely be heading there for some stuff.
I already have a speed rope, the next purchase I really want to get is some "power"/battling ropes. I have used them a few times and they generally destroy me and work well at conditioning me. I just wanted to wait until after Christmas and my birthday to see if my better half got me it but she bought me a watch instead.

Decent arms, back and chest routine today. I worked it pretty hard, so much so I had trouble putting the top on my shaker bottle for my protein shake and then had an issue keeping hold of it whilst mixing it.
Stu you might recognise the program as one of Poliquin's, I did it last season just before the start of the year and it got me pretty close to match fit without having to run anywhere so I am looking to do that again.

2 sets each of:
Fatgrip deadlifts 55kg x 6
Kettlebell renegade rows 20kg x 12
Fatgrip bent over EZ bar row 25kg x 25

Eccentric chin ups BW x 6
Fatgrip dumbbell flies 10kg x 12
Bench press bar only x 25

Fatgrip Zottman curls 15kg x 6
French Press bar only x 12
Fatgrip Hammer Curl 10kg x 25

Lying tricep extension bar x 6
Fatgrip upright EZ bar row 25kg x 12
Bench press bar only x 25

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd get the 41s and pair off what you have.

I'm not sure if you're working your way back up to bigger weights so I would suggest a pair of minis and light (maybe monster mini) (mini and medium in their parlance).

I'd seriously look at some of the American sites to see if you can get them shipped cheaper than that though.

Oh, if you get a prowler I'll be ultra jealous!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Prowler is on my list of "wants" but I am going to be getting that as the final piece of the jigsaw.
No worries I will head down next week when I am back at work.

I am ideally heading back to bigger weights but seeing as I haven't lifted anything remotely heavy over the last 7 months I am starting off slow and building up to the heavy stuff.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Probably, but some of the snatches are a sight to behold!

Oh, and for me, it's not a sport. It's part of training. To quote the awesome Kenny Powers: "I do SPORTS. Not try to be the best at exercising."

Can we make this the Kenny Powers thread? PleasePleasePleasePlease?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JDK2LOWjH4

NSFW for occasional use of swearie words

Well, not so much occasional as constant.