Drift's off season training

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just finished a pretty sh!t legs workout. Not sure what was wrong, just everything felt messy, the program I am working off is supposed to mentally and physically drain me but this was like nothing I have ever felt before.

Front Squat 40x6, 40x6, 40x6, 45x6
Lunges 15x9, 10x12, 10x11, 10x10
Back Squat Bar x18, BWX25, BWX25, Bar x 19

Thrusters 40x4
Good Morning 35x9
Calf Raises BWx21

Had to stop due to cramp in my calf and hip flexor at the same time. Not a pleasant experience I can assue you.

On the plus side my VFFs felt really good.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last edited:

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just read this thread and feel quite giddy- off for some xmas cake and a lie down.
(actually makes me feel quite puny)

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
The "Hurt Terminal"? What is this, Brokeback Training? Yeah, I've just called it a sled (fancier folks call it a "prowler", which makes it sounds like a child molester or rapist, so I avoid using that). It sucks the energy out of you. We do our training on a 20m turf surface, and even with the lower coefficient of friction, it's still soul destroying. Put a heavy rubber band around the tall posts and you can push it going backwards as well. So many ways to feel pain.

As for the cramping, good luck with that. Maybe go easy on the thrusters (the tendency is to drive from the calves at the end instead of the hips b/c you're tired)? When my calves cramp it's b/c I'm trying to use them as the primary source of power when the rest of me has fallen to pieces, but your case may be different.

Dont forget to put a gasmask on when you're wearing a weight vest and carrying a sledgehammer; you'll make new friends in no time!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have heard it referred to as a "prowler" as well but I think that is trademarked so they needed to go with "Hurt Terminal" which is a pretty apt description of what it will do to you.

Cheers for the advice around the thrusters, I will have a look into my form for them. I have also upped all the water I am taking on board just in case it was something like that, but I generally drink a lot most of the time so it shouldn't have been that.

Had the day off yesterday as it was the fiancée's birthday so took her out for the day, back into it tonight after work though. I am also doing a beep test and 2.4km time trial on the weekend to see how I am tracking.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
No you're not. You're half arseing two things. A true bleep test is a maximal effort and you certainly won't be able to do justice to a 2.4K run. Vice Versa if you're doing the run first.

I... I am also doing a beep test and 2.4km time trial on the weekend to see how I am tracking.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
No you're not. You're half arseing two things. A true bleep test is a maximal effort and you certainly won't be able to do justice to a 2.4K run. Vice Versa if you're doing the run first.
What he said. They did this to us in Stellenbosch (40m sprint, Agility t-test, then the beep test, one after the other. A bit silly, really, and even these use different energy systems!).

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ok so beep test on Saturday (for example) how long would you recommend until doing the 2.4km? Would Sunday be beneficial, or would you recommend waiting another week?

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you're going to use them as true benchmarks then I would do them a week apart with a 3 day break before the 2.4K. just make sure that you do the same when you repeat later in the year. By the sounds of it your recovery ability at the moment is probably a bit low to go any sooner.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ok, I will make the changes to my calender in my fitness plan and do the beep test this week with the 2.4km next week. Thanks for the advice.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Alrighty I have 35 days to get "match fit" so I have changed my workouts to include some high intensity crossfit type things. Just finished the following:

WOD 1
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Burpees
Squats
Completed in 4:01.3

Zottman 15x6, 15x6, 15x6, 15x6,
French Press 12.5x12, 10x12, 10x12, 10x12,
Hammer Curls 15x25, 15x23, 10x25, 10x30

WOD 1
7 rounds of
7 squats
7 burpees
Completed in 4:27.3

Lying Tricep Extension
EZ Bar Curls
Bench Press

Tabata rope work, 1 full set of tabata for each exercise
Alternating waves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmG5722W6Mk
Rope Slams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PE6FKlT54Q
Squat Waves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzWeiQZRlmM

I am absolutely broken after that. Got another workout tomorrow including the Beep Test. In other news the VFF shoes are awesome.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
When I started getting closer to the "Big Shows", I'd do a lot more workouts that were (relatively) closer to matches, in the sense that there are periods of high intensity activity (phase-play) followed by rest (whistle - set piece). Alternatively, for 7s, I'd do a lot of workouts that were no more than 10 minutes long, but I'd do several of them. These also sucked. AMRAPs are a bit of a pain for me as I just dont like the repetitive stuff, and I tend to mail it in at the end!

I guess it depends where you are in your training phase. These days it's a combo of strength (Moar Skwatz!) and then heavy metabolic conditioning (sleds, suicide runs, atlas-ball carries, sprints). Today was 50 pullups, 400m run, 21 thrusters @ 45 kg, 800m run, 21 thrusters @ 45 kg, 400m run, then another 50 pullups. I left a lot of DNA on the bar but got through it in 20m45s. Balls to the wall tired!

I think I'm going to do what B52 does instead: piece of cake, 2 cups of tea, pee, 2 cups of tea, piece of cake. nap.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
When I started getting closer to the "Big Shows", I'd do a lot more workouts that were (relatively) closer to matches, in the sense that there are periods of high intensity activity (phase-play) followed by rest (whistle - set piece). Alternatively, for 7s, I'd do a lot of workouts that were no more than 10 minutes long, but I'd do several of them. These also sucked. AMRAPs are a bit of a pain for me as I just dont like the repetitive stuff, and I tend to mail it in at the end!
That is the aim with some of the crossfit stuff in there, get the HR right up there a little while and then get it coming down like it would in a game.

I guess it depends where you are in your training phase. These days it's a combo of strength (Moar Skwatz!) and then heavy metabolic conditioning (sleds, suicide runs, atlas-ball carries, sprints). Today was 50 pullups, 400m run, 21 thrusters @ 45 kg, 800m run, 21 thrusters @ 45 kg, 400m run, then another 50 pullups. I left a lot of DNA on the bar but got through it in 20m45s. Balls to the wall tired!
Nice workout there! I can imagine your skin was leaking quite a bit after that

I think I'm going to do what B52 does instead: piece of cake, 2 cups of tea, pee, 2 cups of tea, piece of cake. nap.
I think he has "training" down to an art.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
...and the outcome of the beep test was...

I think B52 and I might have to train together in Vegas. Sounds like a tough regime:bday:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
10.2 up from 9.3 which I am happy about but I would ideally let to get to 13.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
10.2 isn't bad. You've almost gone up 1 level.

13 by the end of the season?

10.2 up from 9.3 which I am happy about but I would ideally let to get to 13.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i got to 1.3 the last time i did the bleep test :)

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
10.2 isn't bad. You've almost gone up 1 level.

13 by the end of the season?

13 by June which is halfway through the season here.