Eddie jones & england

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Will ed walk away after 6 nations or hang on for easy pay cheque .

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
what an odd question - I think his pay cheques are going to be earned a lot harder now!

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Lost 3
Won 2 .

That includes the wales win ( bit of controversy about who actually won that game )

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Nonsense!

There see below ,,won 2 & lost 3 ???

TeamPWDLPDBPts
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]1[/COLOR]
2CizTqqGDBdi-wi-6xcQMg_48x48.png
Ireland
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]2[/COLOR]
KNmWgtzC7DeN0X-OJEDsMA_48x48.png
Scotland
5302-27113
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]3[/COLOR]
1JjnDm6Es30LryHzbudyEw_48x48.png
Wales
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]4[/COLOR]
z3JEQB3coEAGLCJBEUzQ2A_48x48.png
France
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]5[/COLOR]
DTqIL8Ba3KIuxGkpXw5ayA_48x48.png
England

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]​

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
28 tests 24 wins.
Before this 3 in a row of loses, the only blip was the loss to Ireland when England hoped for back to back Grand Slams
The English press were forgiving while EJ was winning, I suspect they will be less forgiving from now on.
A good comparison, is the light touch Joe Schmidt had at training this week. Not wishing to overload the players, who were already under pressure, instead looking to inspire confidence in them, by trusting them to get the basics right.

It was brought up in the other discussion, England are over-coached at the moment.

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Lost 3. Won 2. That includes the wales win ( bit of controversy about who actually won that game )
No controversy. We lost. :biggrin:

Will ed walk away after 6 nations or hang on for easy pay cheque .
OK, Eddie Jones has had a bad run just recently, but just as good players don't turn into bad players overnight, then surely a good coach doesn't turn into a bad one overnight either. Even taking the last 3 losses into account, I think his overall record is still one of the best.

I can imagine someone at the RFU though having a quiet word; to call the Irish "Scummy" was just asking for trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if they played it back to the Irish team before the game.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No controversy. We lost. :biggrin:

OK, Eddie Jones has had a bad run just recently, but just as good players don't turn into bad players overnight, then surely a good coach doesn't turn into a bad one overnight either. Even taking the last 3 losses into account, I think his overall record is still one of the best.

I can imagine someone at the RFU though having a quiet word; to call the Irish "Scummy" was just asking for trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if they played it back to the Irish team before the game.

Don't take it to heart Irish and Welsh....aussies call everyone scummy even their own kind. It's a term of endearment. I'm sure EJ has called his own family scummy! It's a throwback from Prime Minister Paul Keating. Youre all scum bags!!:biggrin:

davidlandy

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Don't take it to heart Irish and Welsh....aussies call everyone scummy even their own kind. It's a term of endearment. I'm sure EJ has called his own family scummy! It's a throwback from Prime Minister Paul Keating. Youre all scum bags!!:biggrin:

Thanks menace, it kind of lost in translation over this side of the equator.

Scummy
Australian Slang Australian Slang
pathetic; rotten; no good

http://www.slang-dictionary.org/Australian-Slang/Scummy

Just wondering - do they call every country "a sh!tty little country" too? :biggrin:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks menace, it kind of lost in translation over this side of the equator.

Scummy
Australian Slang Australian Slang
pathetic; rotten; no good

http://www.slang-dictionary.org/Australian-Slang/Scummy

Just wondering - do they call every country "a sh!tty little country" too? :biggrin:

No..we usually call it a sh!it hole....like Tasmania...and Queanbeyan...Dandenong....there's just no sugar coating a piece of sh!t. :shrug:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
So what we are doing is is another"gypsy boy"scenarioi, in s way, where some don't appreciate the cultural faux Pas being made? (Marler did of course!)

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Even if it's Aussie slang for pathetic or not good, it doesn't paper over the fact that what Eddie Jones said at this event was unworthy of his position in English rugby.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
I think we have all said things behind closed doors, we’d prefer were not made public.
It would be nice to know who made the video public and to what purpose. To embarrass EJ or as prematch gamesmanship by the England coaching setup. In either case, they failed to achieve their aims.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Id say you guys need to lighten up over there. He was, more than likely, just taking the piss to lighten the mood in the room. You take yourselves far too seriously.
Unless there's Benny Hill music you seem to can't have a laugh.

Im sure EJ will have learnt the error of his way not to joke with the locals.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
I am not sure I am over reacting to such comments.
Over reacting would be to call for a sporting ban on Australia until such time as they get a grip on the rise in racism down under. Just because his comments are not considered offensive by Aussies, doesn’t mean his comments were not offensive.
The United Nations has issued a scathing report on racism in Australia, warning discrimination is "on the rise", including in the political sphere and in the media
I have cousins who emigrated to Australia, some of them have changed for the worse, in this respect. Sad really.
Easy enough for English and Australian refs not to take offense about the remarks. Just wait until EJ goes back to Australia in 2021 and lets rip what he really thought about those Pommies. Wait and see how magnanimous you feel then.

I like Joe Schmidt’s take on it
Asked if the furore over Jones' comments will hinder Ireland's preparation, Schmidt said:
"I don't think so.”
Not relevant, to the game on hand. Spot on. But at the same time, you lot need to get a grip, if you feel it is humorous to make racist remarks. It is not in the slightest, it is a sad reflection on the man.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Wow...that escalated quickly. The racial card has been played. Seriously?!!?!
From a rather benign tongue in cheek comment to now accusations of it being a racial slur!! That is a very long bow to draw.

Im calling BS on that.
Funny...but still BS.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I think he's - albeit clumsily - suggesting that Australian tolerance for racially oriented 'humor' may be greater than other folks.