[Law] Eng Ireland 29 decisions in 28 minutes..

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Gardner was a credible appointment , IMO, of course he is relatively inexperienced and this was a big game for him, but the next generation have to gain experience to replace the current

NO is definitely not the right AR for an inexperienced ref, that did indeed make it harder for him.

The thinking may have been: "Ref is inexperienced so we need to top drow ARs to help and guide him". A mistake, for me, as a good ref does not always make a good AR, you should be looking at different areas to get a fuller picture. With refs, as opposed to ARs on the line you can get three refs rather than a Team of Three.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Actually NO was drafted in at the last minute yo repalce Marius Von Westerhuizen because of ARgate

Butters

Referees in England
Post Likes
That is true but in my opinion NO should never be AR as his mere presence can undermine the man in the middle... Steve Walsh was similar. But I also disagree that you can go lower than Tier 1 for AR's because they will not be used to that level of officiating... So, Tier 1 but not big name ones!!! I realise I am opening myself up for criticism here..

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Actually NO was drafted in at the last minute yo repalce Marius Von Westerhuizen because of ARgate

Indeed but there was already one if not two fairly senior refs there. When they had to replace one they possibly thought, incorrectly experience was the way to go.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
...! I realise I am opening myself up for criticism here..
Seven posts into your forum debut thread, I say go for it. :pepper:

By the way, did you take the time to read the article linked in my post #17?
It covers this topic very well.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Indeed but there was already one if not two fairly senior refs there. When they had to replace one they possibly thought, incorrectly experience was the way to go.

TBH, I expect it was just availability. Couldn't be any of the Irish or English guys, Gauzere and Garces were involved in Italy v. Scotland, and Raynal and Poite were both refereeing in the Top 14.

The only other option was to fly someone from New Zealand or Australia, so I can see why they didn't.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Switch one of the above with Marius Von Westerhuizen?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
NO was down to be the 5th or 4th official at the Millennium .. managing substitutes .
Ie he was an easy person to move at last minute

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Surely Marius was easier as he was now free!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I stopped reading at this point. I suspect I got further than others.

You got further than me, I stopped reading here when he tried to claim issues with the 3 tries just after saying the better team won.

Butters

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for the constructive comment. The first try was a knock on but the TMO either didn't spend long enough or didn't look at the right angle to see it. The second try from Aki to Stander was a forward pass. And the 3rd try is inconclusive but it is my belief that there was a knock on. Stockdale was then played off the ball by two England players so if he hadn't have grounded it, they may have awarded a P Try, if they didn't see the knock on. My two statements are not exclusively linked. The better team on the day (and throughout the tournament) won, but the first two (potentially three) tries were not sufficiently reviewed by the TMO. But that isn't saying they wouldn't have scored any more tries if they needed to. At least nobody deliberately cheated.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
And the 3rd try is inconclusive but it is my belief that there was a knock on.

If there's no clear and obvious infringement, there's no whistle - it doesn't matter what you believe.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
There is an interesting point made about the pull on watson's arm in the first try. I think that's worthy of debate - if only eg to explain why it is immaterial/not an issue/etc. I confess I hadn't noticed it until now but there is a definite pull on watson's arm (whether deliberate is another thing).

There's stuff in theer worth picking out.

I can't understand this , it looks like AW has contact with the ball whilst it's touching the ground, which IIUC means he grounded it first before #13 arrived ?!?! isn't this supposed to be what TMO'ing is in place for ?

https://youtu.be/LqwHJaXjSs0?t=28

Tip, change settings to 25% slow mo, which i presume the TMO can also do!